Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I am a son of your friends?

Seriously though, I agree. Literally, moments before he is going to kill Superman, and then he does a 180 and he's now Superman's friend. Very unrealistic flip flop there. But, if we're talking unrealistic, how does Superman see every time Lois is in danger, but he couldn't find his Mom when she was being held by the mercenaries? He should have been able to find her in mere moments.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie. Very disjointed at times though, and I agree that the editing was choppy. Good thing they didn't release it on it's original release date of May of 2016. If the editing looked this uneven after an additional ten months of editing, it would have been unwatchable last year. Lex was such a distraction during this movie. He seemed more like the Riddler, or some other villain. Just not Lex Luthor. Gal Gadot's acting was just fine. I enjoyed her Wonder Woman, although I still feel like there were many better options to portray Diana, I still enjoyed her time on screen and thought she added greatly to the overall enjoyment of this film.
As big a fan of characters, I'm surprised I never keyed on both these icons' moms being named "Martha". Embarrassed am I! In a way that made Batman's reaction plausible to me as I had the same surprise.

The switch from wanting to murder Superman to being chums was a bit jarring. I think Affleck should've delivered the "I'm a friend of your son" line differently. Maybe pausing uncomfortably before saying "friend".
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...erman-a-winner
Old 03-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I think you guys are being TOO critical, its a comic book movie, do you criticize comic books in the same way?

I thought it was good, but yes having the time and options to do things differently I would have...

Affleck was much better than I anticipated, I'm pleased.

Saw a lot of comic book and Arkham game references.

I get Bats change of heart at the last second, yes I'm a friend of your sons was a HARD 180*'s.

Yeah I thought Aquamans stare was oddly long.

So Lex created the hero's symbols?

Eisenberg is a goof. And he killed his sidekick Mercy Graves.

How did Lane know the Krypto spear was needed for DD?

Gadot... STILL too skinny.

Even WORSE tho, Ezra! An ethnic looking, ponytail wearing Flash! WTF!!!!
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
I think you guys are being TOO critical, its a comic book movie, do you criticize comic books in the same way?
Movies vs Comics, two different animals.

Once again, really enjoyed MoS, but I thought this was terrible on so many levels. Yes, there were some cool things! Batfleck was cool to me, and I enjoyed the fight with Bats/Sups, but there was so much wrong with this movie, and I'm not a pretentious movie goer by any stretch. I just wasn't entertained. It also doesn't help that if you saw the second trailer released, you really did see the whole movie condensed down to three minutes.
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

There was a lot to like about the film - except it was a collection of likeable clips as opposed to a whole, unified and coherent film.

I loved Affleck as Bruce Wayne, who he was far more in the film. I also loved his Batman; with the exception that he unrelentingly kills people, with guns no less, throughout the film - deal breaker for this Batman but that is 100% on Snyder as opposed to Affleck.

Cavill's Superman was a step in the right direction but his morose disposition got old. I actually longed for more scenes of him as Clark TBH. The final exchange between he and Lois was the sole scene that showed his humanity and made him endearing. Wasted opportunity because Snyder embraced Frank Miller's bs take on Superman.

The film failed on many levels because it was scared to vilify Batman to a larger extent or have him more overtly manipulated by Lex. They could have stripped away so many narrative threads if Superman was embraced, and depicted as, a good guy by the public but Batman is blinded by a chip on his shoulder which Lex exploits.
The movie turned around in this regard, to some extent, when Martha Kent was kidnapped. Had Supes been showcased as trying in vain to be reasonable and plead to a blinded Batman it would have been far more palatable.

Lex was decent but not explored- once again undermined by low value choices with Superman. Had his motivations and machinations been explored more Lex would have showed better. FFS the whole discredit the hero to the public was masterfully done in TDK and unnecessary here - doesn't a large segment of the world already dislike Superman due to the invasion's fall out?

Wonder Woman - perfection. Absolutely loved her from her first appearance to big reveal. She was the only character with a clean narrative reflective of her comic book counterpart.

Wonder Woman, Alfred and Perry White were by far my favourite parts.

While a couple of the dreams really enhanced the fights conclusion, which I loved, the volume and length of the dream sequences was ridiculous and needlessly bogged down the film.

Doomsday was a hot mess. The addition made sense but his size and the decision to give him that energy discharge power made for him to be a terrible visual that took away from the action.

All the fan service, like Green Lantern before it, killed what had the pieces to be a great CBM.

6/10 with a full point awarded for Wonder Woman

Last edited by Matches Malone; 03-25-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
kevin2323
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

did he kill people point blank? i dont remember him shooting someone in the head. the only time i saw him flat out kill someone cold blood was in the dream sequence and well... it was a dream. everything else is sort of it was the enemies fault. trying to grab the grenade on the floor, car flipping and exploding, etc.

plus batman kills a lot in the novel this movie was based on so i dont see an issue with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
There was a lot to like about the film - except it was a collection of likeable clips as opposed to a whole, unified and coherent film.

I loved Affleck as Bruce Wayne, who he was far more in the film. I also loved his Batman; with the exception that he unrelentingly kills people, with guns no less, throughout the film - deal breaker for this Batman but that is 100% on Snyder as opposed to Affleck.

Cavill's Superman was a step in the right direction but his morose disposition got old. I actually longed for more scenes of him as Clark TBH. The final exchange between he and Lois was the sole scene that showed his humanity and made him endearing. Wasted opportunity because Snyder embraced Frank Miller's bs take on Superman.

The film failed on many levels because it was scared to vilify Batman to a larger extent or have him more overtly manipulated by Lex. They could have stripped away so many narrative threads if Superman was embraced, and depicted as, a good guy by the public but Batman is blinded by a chip on his shoulder which Lex exploits.
The movie turned around in this regard, to some extent, when Martha Kent was kidnapped. Had Supes been showcased as trying in vain to be reasonable and plead to a blinded Batman it would have been far more palatable.

Lex was decent but not explored- once again undermined by low value choices with Superman. Had his motivations and machinations been explored more Lex would have showed better. FFS the whole discredit the hero to the public was masterfully done in TDK and unnecessary here - doesn't a large segment of the world already dislike Superman due to the invasion's fall out?

Wonder Woman - perfection. Absolutely loved her from her first appearance to big reveal. She was the only character with a clean narrative reflective of her comic book counterpart.

Wonder Woman, Alfred and Perry White were by far my favourite parts.

While a couple of the dreams really enhanced the fights conclusion, which I loved, the volume and length of the dream sequences was ridiculous and needlessly bogged down the film.

All the fan service, like Green Lantern before it, killed what had the pieces to be a great CBM.

6/10 with a full point awarded for Wonder Woman
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I think he stabbed a guy but not sure if its in the heart or shoulder. Some of the editing was jarring and reminded my of another WB movie "Godzilla" where there was a battle going on and they go off to see Superman and Lois and that whole scene was painful. What the ---- was WW and Batman doing that is what I wanted to know. The scenes with WW in battle were quite difficult to see. I am going to see it in IMAX tomorrow so hopefully I enjoy that a little more.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
kevin2323
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I think he stabbed a guy but not sure if its in the heart or shoulder. Some of the editing was jarring and reminded my of another WB movie "Godzilla" where there was a battle going on and they go off to see Superman and Lois and that whole scene was painful. What the ---- was WW and Batman doing that is what I wanted to know. The scenes with WW in battle were quite difficult to see. I am going to see it in IMAX tomorrow so hopefully I enjoy that a little more.
i agree. I plan on watching it again tomorrow.

I believe he does stab the guy in the shoulder and he also shoots a guy in the leg. I enjoyed that he actually made enemies fear him with the branding and extended violence. the R rated blu ray should be fun.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #19
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Talking

This is the funniest review I have ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKDtoBR-2M
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
did he kill people point blank? i dont remember him shooting someone in the head. the only time i saw him flat out kill someone cold blood was in the dream sequence and well... it was a dream. everything else is sort of it was the enemies fault. trying to grab the grenade on the floor, car flipping and exploding, etc.

plus batman kills a lot in the novel this movie was based on so i dont see an issue with it.
While there's no point blank gun shots he certainly most down tons of people behind the wheel of his vehicles and kills the hostage taker. Batman canon dictates that he use, or at least trynwith herculean effort, to use less lethal. Also Batman did not "kill a lot" in the book this is loosely based on (if you are referring to TDKR), though he does wound and maim.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote