Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prototypez

Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #211
Razman
Doh!

I know this has probably been discussed many times before, but this is proof that mass producing kits - unpainted, unassembled - isn't going to cut it. It would work on a very small scale.

You have severely limited your reach to professional painters/kit builders and the most devoted of hardcore collectors/fans of the line. The second group is further limited to the 'financially-able' ones.

The average collector is not bothered to go through the trouble. The research, the hiring process, the connection, the logistics, the time.. too many uncertainties. When I show pictures of the completed kits to people, 90% of them consider buying them. When they realise the process it takes to get one, they lose interest faster than I can count to 3. It took me 2 years to finally make up my mind and order a Ryu kit. I have zero knowledge in the kit building and painting business, so I had to do a lot of research on selecting the right person to build it for me. People have been waiting for more than a year in some cases for the PrototypeZ in-house painter, so I had to go external. And even then, it was a whole different process: Price, waiting time, logistics, shipping... I'm not exaggerating it took 3 months to strike a deal with a painter after deciding to actually buy a kit.

This limited target market may have been intentional, but then you were probably too optimistic. If you were selling these assembled and pre-painted, I'm sure you would have sold much more if not all. Quality would be compromised, but the average collectors is content with that. Look at the koto sales for proof. Despite the bland and sloppy paint jobs, folks are willing to pay for the compromised complete package than go through the uncompromised trouble.

I know there is a market for unassembled kits, which is the whole point of prototypez, but I wish you had done both: A limited supply of unassembled kits for the brave + mass supply of assembled and painted kits for the average joe.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, but I am sharing my opinion because I think your work is truly amazing. I really would love to see more of these kits see the light of day and its a crying shame things aren't working out.
Razman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 AM   #212
Artsta
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

No more 1/6th Street Fighter kits?! GAAAAAAAAAH!
Artsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #213
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

What a shocker. This is why the kit world doesn't license their stuff and sells in small quantities. Well I'm upset I won't see 1/6 Guile, but life goes on.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #214
Artsta
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yeah... At least I got my Ryu. Sad to see Vinceveil won't see his Rose though.
Artsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #215
dechirico7
The Flash

I wish a female kit would have been produced. That would have got a sale from me. It seems like the only characters produced were huge muscular guys. NO thanks. I was kind of getting sick waiting for Cammy, Harley....
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:57 AM   #216
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post
I know this has probably been discussed many times before, but this is proof that mass producing kits - unpainted, unassembled - isn't going to cut it. It would work on a very small scale.

You have severely limited your reach to professional painters/kit builders and the most devoted of hardcore collectors/fans of the line. The second group is further limited to the 'financially-able' ones.

The average collector is not bothered to go through the trouble. The research, the hiring process, the connection, the logistics, the time.. too many uncertainties. When I show pictures of the completed kits to people, 90% of them consider buying them. When they realise the process it takes to get one, they lose interest faster than I can count to 3. It took me 2 years to finally make up my mind and order a Ryu kit. I have zero knowledge in the kit building and painting business, so I had to do a lot of research on selecting the right person to build it for me. People have been waiting for more than a year in some cases for the PrototypeZ in-house painter, so I had to go external. And even then, it was a whole different process: Price, waiting time, logistics, shipping... I'm not exaggerating it took 3 months to strike a deal with a painter after deciding to actually buy a kit.

This limited target market may have been intentional, but then you were probably too optimistic. If you were selling these assembled and pre-painted, I'm sure you would have sold much more if not all. Quality would be compromised, but the average collectors is content with that. Look at the koto sales for proof. Despite the bland and sloppy paint jobs, folks are willing to pay for the compromised complete package than go through the uncompromised trouble.

I know there is a market for unassembled kits, which is the whole point of prototypez, but I wish you had done both: A limited supply of unassembled kits for the brave + mass supply of assembled and painted kits for the average joe.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, but I am sharing my opinion because I think your work is truly amazing. I really would love to see more of these kits see the light of day and its a crying shame things aren't working out.
No man not at all, I think you hit it right in the nose
This is why we will be making an announcement for a bunch of Street Fighter related stuff very very soon.
We weren't really that naive, I knew full well going into this what to expect... until today... everything changed today...
As soon as Capcom allows us to announce our plans, we will make them known to the public.
We stand by our promise to cater to the limited Kit market, that is not going away.... but that was just a stepping stone, a test if you will.
Now the real fun begins.....stay tuned
ZKULPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #217
dao2
Cyclops

sounds exciting, looking forward to hearing it (and indeed receiving my protoz sagat :P)
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #218
gomur
The Tick

I was blown away by the talent and creativity expressed in the 1/6 Street Fighter line (Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Blanka). I'm pretty bummed that it won't continue.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #219
Razman
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKULPTOR View Post
No man not at all, I think you hit it right in the nose
This is why we will be making an announcement for a bunch of Street Fighter related stuff very very soon.
We weren't really that naive, I knew full well going into this what to expect... until today... everything changed today...
As soon as Capcom allows us to announce our plans, we will make them known to the public.
We stand by our promise to cater to the limited Kit market, that is not going away.... but that was just a stepping stone, a test if you will.
Glad to hear there is something in the works. Talent and quality were never an issue, so if you've got the rest sorted out, I'm sure great things will come your way.
Razman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #220
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKULPTOR View Post
Can't wait to see what you have planned. So many projects I wanted to see will hopefully get some updates. Don't forget Thundercats too.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote