Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

did most of the artists make it back?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

The ticket lines were a complete CF. Absolutely useless pre ordeing tickets.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Lots of talent there. Not sure everyone made it back but most big names did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I heard it wasnt easy to get in. That happened 2 years ago with preordered tickets being a pain. The change in venue may not have helped with the process
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
Underdog07
Hercules

Great turn out though. I heard 16k on Saturday
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
I agree. Though I did not attend this weekends Con, this has been a yearly problem. The con usually has only 2 to 4 people checking people in at the start of the show, which is absurd! Does no one have enough brains to have 6 to 8 people check in the crowd for the first hour? This is a simple solution to a simple problem people!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Lots of talent there. Not sure everyone made it back but most big names did.
So are artists pretty much indifferent with collectors buying their original art?

I was looking to spend about $1-2k on some pieces from a few select artists, but I just got this vibe they didn't care as I browsed through their portfolio.

Also, there was an instance where I saw two amazing Superman/Batman pieces on display with art that was For Sale. When I inquired to buy them from the artist, I was told they were "commissions" and I need to talk his rep about getting pricing, scheduling, etc.

I'm like if they're commissions and NOT FOR SALE why the hell are they on display and surrounded by original art THAT IS FOR SALE? Completing misleading.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
Underdog07
Hercules

The commissions could have just been finished and waiting to be picked up

As for the browsing - It obviously depends on the artist, but i would just think of it this way. 1 they are not sales men. And 2 they probably have hundreds of people look through their folios each day and may not want to bother you as you browse. I know my preference is to just look.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I think most - but Frank Cho did not make it back...

Quote:
So are artists pretty much indifferent with collectors buying their original art?

I was looking to spend about $1-2k on some pieces from a few select artists, but I just got this vibe they didn't care as I browsed through their portfolio.

Also, there was an instance where I saw two amazing Superman/Batman pieces on display with art that was For Sale. When I inquired to buy them from the artist, I was told they were "commissions" and I need to talk his rep about getting pricing, scheduling, etc.

I'm like if they're commissions and NOT FOR SALE why the hell are they on display and surrounded by original art THAT IS FOR SALE? Completing misleading.
They could be displaying it to show off what you get when you do commission them.

Sounds like you did not have a good time?

I had a blast - met and talked to George Perez, Aaron Lopresti and had a blast talking to a ton of other artists and vendors. Really well attended and fun show
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Underdog07
Hercules

I hope to post my art in the art section later tonight. Managed to score some really nice pieces. getting in early got gave me the opportunity to get on any list i wanted so i went with Sale and then Kitson's line. i spent a little more than I meant to at the art auction. The pre auction martini and Bloody Mary helped out I imagine. Then I had two separate stops at Paul Ryan's table to deposit some money into his pocket.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don’t think many artists are indifferent about selling their art. If they were, they wouldn’t bring it along for sale.

When you say that you ‘got a vibe …’ what exactly was your experience? I know that some artists are more chatty than others and I know that several artists are not interested in the ‘salesman’ aspect of having a booth so they won’t go out of their way to sell you on something (even if they are more than happy if you buy it). According to Tom Raney, that’s why he has never brought along OA to shows – he doesn’t like dealing with the sales aspect but is willing to sell.

As for the commissions, I am sure they were done for people and put on display until they were picked up to show off the art as an example of what a commission would look like if you set one up with the artist. I think it is a great idea – if the art is outstanding enough to get a lot of people asking about it, it is likely to land the artist some future commission gigs.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote