Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 07-30-2022, 10:19 PM   #311
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

The SuperPowers line was based on how DC characters looked in the mid 70’s to mid 80’s. Back then every super heroine and villainess outfits were always drawn with high heels (both DC and Marvel drew their female characters that way).

Thinking about it now there was no way a woman would have been able to either commit crimes or fight crime in high heels but no one gave it a 2nd though back then.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:35 PM   #312
Markhatestoys
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
The SuperPowers line was based on how DC characters looked in the mid 70?s to mid 80?s. Back then every super heroine and villainess outfits were always drawn with high heels (both DC and Marvel drew their female characters that way).

Thinking about it now there was no way a woman would have been able to either commit crimes or fight crime in high heels but no one gave it a 2nd though back then.
Yeah, I understand it for characters like Wonder Woman or Batgirl or Catwoman, as they "needed to look feminine" as far as the comics industry was concerned at the time (and even in modern movies, female heroes Like Wonder Woman and Black Widow have some heel in their boots), but for Cheetah it just looks particularly out of place and silly, especially given her cat-like pose and the enraged look on her face. Also Cheetah, since her first golden age appearance and in all her various comic book and animated incarnations, has *usually* been depicted without heels, whereas Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Catwoman, etc. have more often been depicted with heels, so it looks more normal on them.
Markhatestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:53 PM   #313
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Thinking back, the Cheetah was not really seen a whole lot in the 70’s. When the Wonder Woman comic switched to telling stories of the Earth 2 Wonder Woman during the 40’s (to coincide with the TV show) the Cheetah had one appearance (WW#230 I think). When Wonder Woman adventures returned to the present she briefly appeared when her niece became the new Cheetah. I no longer have those issues so I am not sure f she had high heels or not
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:34 PM   #314
greenknight
The Spirit

I have to admit, I never understood the argument about comic book females in high heels. These characters regularly fly, bounce bullets off of themselves, run at supersonic speeds and hide their identities from their closest friends with a thin strip of fabric around their eyes. All that is accepted without batting an eye. Put them in high heels, however, and that's just too big a pill to swallow. What am I missing?
greenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:40 PM   #315
Markhatestoys
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenknight View Post
I have to admit, I never understood the argument about comic book females in high heels. These characters regularly fly, bounce bullets off of themselves, run at supersonic speeds and hide their identities from their closest friends with a thin strip of fabric around their eyes. All that is accepted without batting an eye. Put them in high heels, however, and that's just too big a pill to swallow. What am I missing?
I'm good with heels usually (though in movies it begins to look suspect. In the real world a character like Black Widow would never wear heels as they could end up getting her killed.) But on this Cheetah statue, with the feline pose and the look of ferocity on her face, the heels just look completely out of place.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:47 PM   #316
greenknight
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhatestoys View Post
I'm good with heels usually (though in movies it begins to look suspect. In the real world a character like Black Widow would never wear heels as they could end up getting her killed.) But on this Cheetah statue, with the feline pose and the look of ferocity on her face, the heels just look completely out of place.
I understand where people have preferences - they like the look of one thing versus another. But I never thought of high heels as unrealistic for these types of characters, since they don't exist in the real world. The movies try to make it more realistic but let's be honest. They do things that would get them killed in the real world whether they're in high heels or not.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:51 PM   #317
greenknight
The Spirit

The high heel debate aside, I think this is a fantastic statue. I really didn't think they were going to be able to pull off the cheetah pattern and paint job on her like they did the prototype but they did an amazing job! There's really nothing I dislike about this statue.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:55 PM   #318
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

She was, on occasion, drawn with heels just like the statue has.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:39 AM   #319
Markhatestoys
Justice League

I decided to pull the trigger on this one, just ordered it from Sideshow. Once I started thinking about how all the other Super-Powers females have heels too, Cheetah's heels make a lot more sense. And the statue itself, the portrait, the sculpt, the pose, the paint, is beautiful. Thankfully I prefer the standard head to the exclusive; I love my Priscilla Rich Cheetah.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #320
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenknight View Post
Exactly, the arguments that heels are unrealistic/unfeasible make so sense to me, given all the unrealistic and unfeasible things that take place in a comic book
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote