Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 08-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #51
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Because the statue community enjoys being miserable.
I kinda agree in other cases, but you're misreading things in this particular case (for myself and the others who have spoken against this similarly).

For me, I fell in love with this line based on the art direction and aesthetics shown within the early pieces. When I was ready to quit this hobby, this was the line that kept me hanging on. It was everything I wanted in a MOTU line. For me, it was like Igo and the sculpting team knew everything I wanted even before I realized it myself. So from that, I was ready to go all in... I was prepared to invest thousands in a custom display for the current and future pieces. With the deal TH direct had for Hordak and Teela, I planned a budget accordingly. But then those prices changed, so that gave me pause... but I still wanted to believe and was background processing ways to work through that. If they kept things coming in the beautiful realistic style they were providing, I might have convinced myself to continue. But Teela's design was the first wrench in the works... I figured it was a fluke and probably wouldn't happen again. In the grand scheme of things in a larger display, she would work fine. Mer-man, Trap Jaw, and the early Beast Man renders were back on track, so my hope continued. But then this reveal of the next heroic female just crushed my soul.

Maybe I shouldn't have put so much emotion into all of this. I'm usually pretty pragmatic and just can take genre stuff in stride. But this line was something that was really special to me and it feels like my trust and faith were broken. My comments aren't made out of hate or trying to stir the pot. I have no ill will to the choices made, the TH team, or even you fellow forumers who love it. I'm just hurt... and I'm expressing that hurt along with what I hoped was different. I don't really expect anything to change with this piece, but I do see it as a trend for pieces to come... especially within the more human and female warriors. I can understand it, accept it, and move on. But my heart and emotions are taking a bit to catch up.

I hope that makes sense and explains things a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Classic Sorceress >>> Horizon Dawn Sorceress
That seems to be the consensus. I knew it was a Hail Mary play, but I wanted to at least get it out into the world so I can at least say that I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanizor View Post
IMHO, TH has to think a little out of the box for the Legends line, not something too drastic, but something like this:

I didn't have this pic saved, but I do remember it. Yeah, it's not a design pushed as far as I'd like, but I could have gone for something like this as a compromise. I love the leather straps to imitate feathers as a design choice. That goes very well with the earlier SSC pieces and their designs/art direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khev View Post
Will she rise above the others though? The concept drawing showed her as being the same height as Skeletor. The width due to her wingspan on the other hand...
Good point. After SDCC, I got it in my head that the Skeletor print is oversized, so whenever I see it I think that. It's probably scaled correctly for that slide, so... ehhhh. It is what it is, I guess.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:51 PM   #52
Mechanizor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
That's very cool! And yeah, my wife is pretty similar to you in that regard, although she will give it a try herself as well. I guess I'm like both of you in one person as I tend to watch gameplay to see if a game is worth my time with story and graphics before I invest in a game to play myself haha.
Dude, I'm not into gaming (I was into it when I was a little kid), but I'm pretty much still into toys and toy designs and engineering, so I have an idea on how you observe artistic mediums in general.
And I also like your MOTU perspective, which makes it easier for people like me to share their opinions freely around here.
So thanks for the positive vibes.
Mechanizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #53
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Dude, I'm not into gaming (I was into it when I was a little kid), but I'm pretty much still into toys and toy designs and engineering, so I have an idea on how you observe artistic mediums in general.
And I also like your MOTU perspective, which makes it easier for people like me to share their opinions freely around here.
So thanks for the positive vibes.
Yeah, I'm nowhere near into gaming now as much as I used to be as a kid, so I feel you there! Many times, just the video walkthroughs are enough to scratch the itch, but there are a few games that I have to experience myself (the rare available moments).

Yes!!! I could tell you had that design, engineering, and artistic eye as well. I love this stuff and it's even more fun when they all come together for something (like figures and statues). It's all just so neat on so many levels.

My pleasure and thank you, too! You've said a lot in this thread that I couldn't put into words or tackle (again, sometimes when strong emotions come into play, my brain gears lock).
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #54
No1WonderFan
Blue Falcon

She looks great. Can't wait to see her develop.

The only nitpick I see is maybe too much forehead...hoping there's less space between her eyes and headdress on the final product. Unless it looks amazing...then it's fine. Ha.
No1WonderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #55
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
IMHO, TH has to think a little out of the box for the Legends line, not something too drastic, but something like this:

I feel like that above is too far removed from TH design direction ...especially with how Teela was designed below.

As compared to this below.

Which looks a lot busier. I don't like it. Simple and elegant is much better. I like TweeterHead's current direction.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:58 PM   #56
Mechanizor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I feel like that above is too far removed from TH design direction ...especially with how Teela was designed below.

As compared to this below.

Which looks a lot busier. I don't like it. Simple and elegant is much better. I like TweeterHead's current direction.
It's okay if you don't like it, but I do...

Sideshow's He-Man and Skeletor basically grounded the direction for TH to follow in this Legends line, and if you look at Hordak, and the upcoming Mer Man and Trap Jaw, they are far from simplistic in their designs!

The concept art by Ryan Barger has a good balance of both worlds; fantasy and tech in my humble opinion, but my idea was to think outside the box, and do something less traditional when possible.

RB's art is just only an example and not a blueprint.
Mechanizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:13 PM   #57
Blade3327
Nightwing

I like some of the Barger designs, or at least the general flavor. It's a little odd that Trap-Jaw and Skeletor got such detailed makeovers while they seem to be going simpler/more retro for their females.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #58
Augen
Metal Men

Wow! I didn't expect to see this announced. I like how she could look perched up behind She-Ra and Teela. Need to see sculpt and paint hopefully in a year to fully decide.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #59
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
It's okay if you don't like it, but I do...

Sideshow's He-Man and Skeletor basically grounded the direction for TH to follow in this Legends line, and if you look at Hordak, and the upcoming Mer Man and Trap Jaw, they are far from simplistic in their designs!

The concept art by Ryan Barger has a good balance of both worlds; fantasy and tech in my humble opinion, but my idea was to think outside the box, and do something less traditional when possible.

RB's art is just only an example and not a blueprint.

Right. And in the same way, it's ok if you don't like what TH is doing right now in this art direction.

But, IMO and others here as well, it's the proper balance of classic and detailing to make this line very compelling. It's one of the best line out there right now.

Perhaps another company can start a new line or TH could start a new line to be more like RB's art or more to your liking. But this current line is doing great as is.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #60
Fenrir
Fantastic Four

Awesome to see Sorceress is coming and I for one am super-relieved they seem to lean heavily on the classic design.

No throne though..must come as a separate piece
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7CBDD6D8-A55E-4F36-BEE8-D254A8A9AFBF.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	152723  
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote