Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-22-2024, 06:00 AM   #1
Lionore
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Fill the Gap advice

Hi there!

I could use some good advice, does anyone know how to fill the gap here? or whatt is the best technique?

we are talking about a small gap but i would like to perfect it.

Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viber_image_2024-03-21_13-37-55-483.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	170627  
Lionore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:10 AM   #2
ukshaun
Hercules

If it were me, i would live with the small gap.
Unless you are super talented, i guess it is possible to fill and paint the gap. Only if you are very talented. Based on the fact you are posting the question might suggest to let someone else carry out the work.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:51 AM   #3
Lionore
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
If it were me, i would live with the small gap.
Unless you are super talented, i guess it is possible to fill and paint the gap. Only if you are very talented. Based on the fact you are posting the question might suggest to let someone else carry out the work.

Thank you for ther prompt reply! I appreciate it.

Well, i am not capable to do it on my own, and i will have to ask a professional to carry out the job for me.

This statue is the 1/2 scale Batman and is my holy grail, i own it for some time now. It is my centerpiece
and i just want to perfect it, in this regard i am also thinking of custom making a movie accurate cape that has the pleats right.

About the small gap in the left arm, i could definetely live with it. But i am nitpicking and considering the best option here.

So i thought about removing the hand, sending it to the sculptor and asking him to carve the cavity by filling soft epoxy, to be honest though I am not sure if this is the best technique for this case? Any advice please?

thank you again for letting me know
Old 05-28-2024, 03:07 PM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

are you talking about the top edge of the glove to the forearm or am i completely missing what youre seeing?
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 11:56 AM   #5
Halcyon
Loki

I had to scroll through 100 batman to find this one.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Film) Batman 1:2 scale

Ok so the body has fabric suit and the glove is polystone/resin. There are no switchouts, i assume the glove is glued to the arm.

First solution could be:
Bit risky, but you could use hairdryer on the glove to soften the glue and gently pull it off.
Make bit more room in the cavity of the glove and glue it back tighter (so there is no gap at all). If you can't create extra room and there is a peg on end of arm you could use a metal-file to remove 1mm from the peg (or just remove 1 layer of fabric if peg has fabric too).

Second solution:
No risk at all.
Find a black (or brass/bronze) colored thread with the thickness of the gap.
Slowly pull it in the gap and cut the lenght you like (e.g. 2/3 around glove) so you won't see the edge/gap of original fabric. I made a small doodle on your picture. Goodluck with improving your grail.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	batman arm thread fill.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	170743  
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:13 AM   #6
Lionore

Halcyon, thank you for the support. Sonicobra, yes we are talking about the edge of the glove!
Halcyon the polystone glove can be extracted, this is how it was assembled out of the box

Truth is i have seen this in almost all the 1/2 scale BVS Batman statues by Prime 1, so it must have been some sort of engineering issue in ther production process.
As you have correctly implied it isn't a big deal, but, i would like to fix it.

Here is a pic from another forum, do you think this duct tape solution will work? I also asked a local sculptor and he suggested using some force to push the arm back in. But i am not sure if this would be the right thing to do??

Here are some more pics:
This one is my statue, compare left and right hand

And here is from another collector i found online, pretty much the smae thing:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	239759-20180610-015110.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	170754   Click image for larger version

Name:	viber_image_2024-05-26_17-57-25-713.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	170755   Click image for larger version

Name:	viber_image_2024-05-27_21-44-39-432.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	170756  
Old 05-30-2024, 09:09 AM   #7
SONICobra
Batman

looks to me like the key on the glove is maybe just a tad too long which is not allowing it to sit flush to the arm. if its something you really want to fix the least intrusive fix in my opinion is to cut off the end the key on the glove where the magnet is, shorten it, then reattaching using aves.

you will have to make cuts for the aves to grab onto and hold the two pieces together since i wouldnt pin it due to being a magnet there. you will have to put enough aves on the key to secure it while it sets but not too much that it will mush out past the edges of the key. i would push it up so its sitting where you want it and tape the glove to the arm using some green painters tape while it sets. after 24 hours remove it and add more aves to reshape the key, after another 24 hours sand the aves so the key is smooth, paint it and you should be good

this is assuming this issue is the key and not there being too much material where the glove meets the arm. if thats the case you would have to sand the mating surfaces and still possibly shorten the key. all of this would avoid having to repaint visible surfaces on the suit and glove

Old 05-30-2024, 09:13 AM   #8
SONICobra
Batman

that will only work if the issue is the key being too long to create the gap

if the issue is there not being enough of a lip on the edge of the glove (which is difficult to tell from the pictures) then youre going to have to go another route by either removing material from the mating surface of the edge of the glove to create a lip (may still need to shorten the key to close the gap) or sculpt a lip on the glove which will definitely require visible paint work on the outside of the glove

theres a fix for everything but sometimes its involved to make it right, up to you if its worth it
Old 05-30-2024, 11:43 AM   #9
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionore View Post
Halcyon, thank you for the support. Sonicobra, yes we are talking about the edge of the glove!
Halcyon the polystone glove can be extracted, this is how it was assembled out of the box

Here is a pic from another forum, do you think this duct tape solution will work? I also asked a local sculptor and he suggested using some force to push the arm back in. But i am not sure if this would be the right thing to do??

Like Sonicobra said, we can come up with many possible solutions, but people who ask for help have to clearly describe the exact problem first
So we don't have to guess so much.

Ok if the glove already is separate part with magnetized peg. You should be able (have more chance) to fix it yourself.

First step, compare the lenght of the peg with the depth of the hole in the arm (caliper and when you don't have one / a small wooden stick aka skewer and marker). Compare all four corners.
So if there is small diff in length you could use coarse sandpaper and remove up to 1mm from top of peg (often the magnet has small layer of putty/glue and or paint on top). You can go to the bare surface of magnet.

Also check the shape and smoothness of the hole, maybe it is roughly cast or too much paint in it. You could choose to remove that instead of altering the peg. Or do both if really needed (but diff in lenght is prob small bcs gap is not big).

If for example the original problem is, just a bit too much wiggle room between peg and hole. And weight of solid glove is causing the small gap (it is leaning a bit). Then you could put narrow strip of paper against peg and fit it with small amount of force in the arm (so gap will stay closed). Or like the other person did with some tape against peg. But i used piece of drawing paper in the past when parts are leaning a bit.
Goodluck.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:05 AM   #10
Lionore

Thank you both very much. I am not an adept in touch-ups and i am not experienced in this field.

Your suggestions make sense and i will try them out, i will start by comparing the peg length as well as the cavity length of the socket. I hope it is fixed with minimum intervention

i will also try to take more pictures, as you correctly suggested Halcyon

Once again thank you so much, it is much appreciated, i will keep you posted