Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #291
Inkedsushi
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Good to know and thanks DynamicMenace! I'm a big SW fan, but I couldn't tell you on specifics like that. Awesome and at least it's a good 90% accurate. Hopefully, PO will be at the end of the year like Alex said it MIGHT BE.
Inkedsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #292
Python
Omega Red

I wouldn't say the paint is necessarily wrong on this, Sideshow were never going to paint the helmet as it appeared in the movie and I very much doubt anybody would want them too. Better would be a more apt description.

This stuff always has artistic license thrown in if it isn't from the original molds (would be nice, but not always possible unfortunately) This looks like Vader however and has no obvious stand out issues so none of that will put me off. The Price and possible open ES might however, fingers crossed.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #293
ambasah
Red Skull

I wish SS could chime in to explain what improvements they have done on this to prevent another doom scenario.

That helped ease many concerns with the recent spidey pf...hopefully the same can happen here.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #294
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedsushi View Post
Good to know and thanks DynamicMenace! I'm a big SW fan, but I couldn't tell you on specifics like that. Awesome and at least it's a good 90% accurate. Hopefully, PO will be at the end of the year like Alex said it MIGHT BE.
no problem man, yeah, its very close. although SS did not specify "which version" this Vader is, the tell tale signs are all there to indicate that this is in fact an ANH version. as some think that it's a combination of all three or something, it's def clear to me that is not the case here. its most def an ANH ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I wouldn't say the paint is necessarily wrong on this, Sideshow were never going to paint the helmet as it appeared in the movie and I very much doubt anybody would want them too. Better would be a more apt description.

This stuff always has artistic license thrown in if it isn't from the original molds (would be nice, but not always possible unfortunately) This looks like Vader however and has no obvious stand out issues so none of that will put me off. The Price and possible open ES might however, fingers crossed.
yeah man you're absolutely right, the paints are not wrong, the color scheme is correct. but its the application and finishes that isn't right. if your talking about film accuracy now. if you want this to be film accurate the metallic silver should have been gun metal gray and applied with a brush. and believe it or not so should have the black on all the areas on the helmet including the dome. and the finish shouldn't have been matte not gloss.

and yeah, im sure the licenses has something to do with it why they took the route they did with it. but as you said this is Vader. and is most def an ANH version of the character.

and not sure if anyone remembers this. but i did want to mention that when they first announced the LSF vader in an email. they quoted him from ANH, " i find your lack of faith disturbing" which is a line he says to the admiral and starts to choke him. and as you can see he has the force choke hand, not exactly how it was in the film but a force choke hand none the less.

i don't care what the ES is and i don't think this will have any use at all with the pose he is in. def a day one PO for me, i'll be there locked and loaded the second it goes up .
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #295
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The real question is if this is 501st approved?

Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #296
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
on the contrary, this is in FACT an ANH rendition of the helmet. NOT ROTS, and here are some key aspects of this helmet that will explain why it is in fact an ANH rendition of the helmet.

although this is not 100% film accurate, it is a very nice and close to film accurate stylized rendition of the lid we see in ANH. but what indicates that this is in fact an ANH helmet and not a ROTS is the over sized dome with widow's peak on the dome. ROTS is squared or flat like in ESB or ROTJ. the center strip's edges are sharp or more squared compared to the more rounded and softer edges of the center stripe on the dome for ROTS.

also the lenses on ANH are slightly smaller than the ones on ROTS and are rounded or bubbled rather than slightly larger and flat lenses as they are on ROTS.

also, the face mask as you can see the wearer's cheek on the left side (mask's right) slopes down more (as it does on the film used helmet in ANH ESB and ROTJ) than the right side (mask's left) of the mask. as we all know the facemask (the helmet in general) in ROTS was designed on the computer and was made symmetrical. so the wearer's cheeks are identically the same and one does not slope down more than the other. while the ANH face mask was hand sculpted which in turn was asymmetrical. which you can clearly see that's what they are trying to duplicate and did a really nice job of doing IMO.

plus, the chin vent on the very bottom of the mask is much smaller (the smallest out of all the Vader helmets on screen) on the ANH than on the ROTS helmet (which is the same on the ESb and ROTJ helmets). as you can see on the ROTS it is much larger.

also, not sure what happened to the close up image THX posted of the LSF helmet but the tips of metal tusks on the ANH are rounded, while the tips on the ROTS are pointed.

so this helmet on this figure is in fact an ANH and not a ROTS. i think what may be throwing it off is the paint job, paint job should be more matte than gloss.
and hand brushed on rather than sprayed.

Sorry ive been out of town and not responded sooner. What I meant to say was that it is closer to a ep3 helmet than it is to the ep4 ( I have them both sitting here in my collection one from master replicas and the other from EFX) .

No offense but you sound like your making excuses for sideshow. It isn't clearly a ep4 helmet it in fact is a STYLIZED helmet as you even said yourself.

Even the paint apps are wrong on the helmet and the shoulder armor.

My point is still valid, if I'm paying 2k for a statue at least make it accurate. This is not, and it's really disapointing as I've been looking forward to this.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #297
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

Good point but I have many sideshow products mainly premium formats and I don't know how many are 100% accurate or if sideshow has made other statues we don't own completely accurate! I also agree though when their making 1:2 collectibles there is much more space to make them look more accurate and intricate and yes for money were paying they should be, but don't see them going back and changing much from now and production getting them done...

We have the Darth Maul LSF and we love it but there are inaccuracy with that one as well from size of maul to his saber and paint around his horns on his portrait I believe if I'm not mistaken..

I love sideshow but nothing is usually perfect!

Sarah
SideShowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #298
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
Sorry ive been out of town and not responded sooner. What I meant to say was that it is closer to a ep3 helmet than it is to the ep4 ( I have them both sitting here in my collection one from master replicas and the other from EFX) .

No offense but you sound like your making excuses for sideshow. It isn't clearly a ep4 helmet it in fact is a STYLIZED helmet as you even said yourself.

Even the paint apps are wrong on the helmet and the shoulder armor.

My point is still valid, if I'm paying 2k for a statue at least make it accurate. This is not, and it's really disapointing as I've been looking forward to this.
no offence taken.

and no im not making excuses for sideshow, im merely pointing out facts of what i know exists on the Vader helmets. and making my own observation of what i am seeing and know of the differences between the helmets from all the films as to what im seeing in the photos of the Vader LSF..

i also have owned the EFX and have seen plenty of the MR ROTS helmet to know what the differences are. which both aren't completely film accurate. i've seen photos of a ROTS casting of the helmet used for the film. the one MR did used files from LF, but some tweaks and alterations did in fact take place which altered the looks ever so lightly and the size.

yes EFX claim it comes from molds that were used for the production of the helmets. which im sure is true. but that doesn't necessarily mean that the molds they used were from the molds of the actual helmet that was used on screen. If it is then something dramatically happened to it during the molding and casting process. No one is denying that they are not production molds that were used to produce their helmets. But the Vader enthusiasts believe that they could be pre production molds and not post-production molds. it has been gone over and compared with a fine tooth comb over at the prop den forum by people who know the Vader helmets inside and out. and have clearly pointed out the differences between the EFX and the film used helmet we see on screen. it's clear to many Vader enthusiasts out there including myself that they do appear to be different casts in one way shape or form. for certain details do not match up. i sold mine for i was able to purchase an SL Vader helmet (my avatar) which does infact have direct film linage to the one used on screen. When comparing the SL to a film used helmet you see on screen everything matches up.
And by all means, I'm not saying the EFX isn't film accurate. Just not 100% film accurate as to what we see on screen. Mostly the dome.

so im pretty knowledgable on the differences between the different versions of the Vader helmets.

all im clearly stating is that the helmet has all the tells (which i pointed out earlier and are clearly there in the images we see) besides the paint job. which is wrong (as far as film accuracy goes). but merely the application and finishes.

but its is clear to me that the LSF is most definitely representing what is seen in eps4 and NOT eps3.

is it 100% film accurate? hell no.. lol but as i have said before, its def an ANH version of Vader
Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #299
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

good post, I like the SL helmet also but it is a straight up mess. Im sure we could was poetic about the helmets all day and completely derail this thread. Having said that, fact is this is a stylized version of an episode IV helmet. they could have gone V or VI and could have been more forgiving on being stylized but they didnt. They decided to go with the armor and helmet from ep 4 that is very unique and then couldn't get it right.

Like I said before , im not spending 2k on a statue that they COULD have gotten right but decided not to. The bad part is the helmet for me, the horrible part for me is the paint apps which should have been easy. There are litterally a billion pics of vader on the interwebs, there is just no excuse for it.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #300
DynamicMenace

yeah im sure we could go back and forth for eternity. lol
well the SL is a cast from the molds that were made of the film used helmet immediately after filming. not as much of a mess if your talking about film accuracy here. lol but thats the beauty of the SL. it captures all the ugliness of the film used helmet we see on screen had. but thats what i love about it, when i look at it. i get that feeling i did when i was a kid when seeing on the big screen, here is my SL with a set of DVV armor that also has direct film linage. and you really cannot get any closer to 100% film accurate then these two items. unless you owned the film used props themselves..lol

and yes the LSF Vader is most definitely a stylized version, def NOT 100% film accurate by any means, but to me, i can most definitely see the ANH look and feel in the helmet. especially with all the tells it has indicating what it is. def not like i do when i look at my SL. im not saying it 100% accurate by any means. and yes, the paints are most definitely not right on the helmet and the armor.

possibly, if the helmet and the armor had the correct hand brushed paint application and finish. it would most def have the look and feel even more like an ANH version.

i know things look differently to everyone, but SS im sure have strict guidelines they have to follow when it comes to producing these things. could very well be that LF won't allow them make a 100% film accurate Vader. as ridiculous as that sounds. that very well could be the case.. i don't know.. lol but as far as saying that they could have gotten it right, and did not i will have to disagree. i think its a very good attempt of trying to get it right. after all, just look at the original ANH PF. that was far more inaccurate than the LSF helmet. even the Mythos helmet has the look and feel of the ANH version like this LSF does. to me anyway.. i think they did a great job of creating a stylized version of an ANH Vader and capturing the look and feel of a particular version of the character. and i am basing this on what i am seeing in the images of the LSF, not making excuses for SS.. lol

i totally understand what your saying though about the price. and the accuracy it should have for that price. i can agree with you on that. but i honestly feel it has a whole lot to do with the paints for the most part..

once i receive mine (whenever that is) ill post images after i customize it with the proper paint application and finish. im sure it will look much better once the proper paints are applied.