Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #121
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I'm well-aware of what Romero and others have done, but I'm referring to what's been done in the source material, "The Walking Dead" comic book series. I've read every issue of "The Walking Dead" at least twice, and I can't recall an instance of any remnant of the original person being exhibited in a zombie. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but in my memory, not even the Governor's daughter, whom he kept chained in his home, showed any signs of her former self. The zombies indicated no thoughts other than "Eat. Eat. Eat."
Maybe a little bit of artistic license by the tv show creators but the comic has always been about the humans and the zombies are just background characters to help drive the story and I don't know if there has ever been a big enough focus on the zombies to know one way or the other. IMO.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #122
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

There has been one other semi-major character besides the Governor who has housed a zombiefied loved one in the comics. Like I said, I would rather the series not deviate too much from the comic's lore.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #123
rilynil

25,000 posts. BOOOYAAAAAA!

There. I'm over it now.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #124
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
25,000 posts. BOOOYAAAAAA!

There. I'm over it now.
You da man!!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #125
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
I'm well-aware of what Romero and others have done, but I'm referring to what's been done in the source material, "The Walking Dead" comic book series. I've read every issue of "The Walking Dead" at least twice, and I can't recall an instance of any remnant of the original person being exhibited in a zombie. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but in my memory, not even the Governor's daughter, whom he kept chained in his home, showed any signs of her former self. The zombies indicated no thoughts other than "Eat. Eat. Eat."
Neil in the books the zombies are just background props so they never really get into what their habits or instincts are, they're just something to watch out for. I'm guessing the producers of the show felt the zombies needed certain characteristics that the zombies in the books don't need.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #126
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Both of the exact details you mention, immediately raised flags in my brain. Not in relation to zombie lore in general, but specifically in relation to The Walking Dead. I cannot recall this issue of retained memories ever being brought up in the books. I wonder if this is one of the deviations the show will have from the book? If so, it didn't bother me that much, but in comparing the book to the tv show it did stand out to me right away.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #127
Marvelito

Quote:
There has been one other semi-major character besides the Governor who has housed a zombiefied loved one in the comics. Like I said, I would rather the series not deviate too much from the comic's lore.
I think there's actually been more than one other, I'm drawing a blank right now, but there's the guy with the farm and another character who I'd rather not mention by name.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #128
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Neil in the books the zombies are just background props so they never really get into what their habits or instincts are, they're just something to watch out for. I'm guessing the producers of the show felt the zombies needed certain characteristics that the zombies in the books don't need.
I also prefer that the zombies remain as background props, dangerous things that can kill the characters at any given moment. No different that bullets or a bomb, in a war/crime related tv show. The idea about zombies retaining memories has been done before, as has been mentioned, but I think it works better when they're just monsters. Plain and simple. The other thing is that in The Walking Dead, the people sometimes are scarier than the zombies. I think if you make the zombies more human it takes away from the "monsters" that some of the people become throughout the story.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #129
MrYac
Hercules

unrelated to the show in general but the talk of memory brings about a question i've always had about zombies, this question does assume you believe in a soul or some other form of other existance.

basicly do you think that the soul leaves the body as soon as the zombie takes over or are they trapped in their until the zombie is properly destroyed? do you get to go off to heaven as soon as you die and look down at your body eatting people, or are you stuck inside till somebody finally puts you down....thoughts?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #130
rilynil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
unrelated to the show in general but the talk of memory brings about a question i've always had about zombies, this question does assume you believe in a soul or some other form of other existance.

basicly do you think that the soul leaves the body as soon as the zombie takes over or are they trapped in their until the zombie is properly destroyed? do you get to go off to heaven as soon as you die and look down at your body eatting people, or are you stuck inside till somebody finally puts you down....thoughts?
Not that I've given it much thought before, but I believe that once a person dies and becomes a zombie, then the person he/she was is no more. Only the hungry monster remains. A zombie is only a re-animated pile of rotting meat and bone, IMO.