Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #761
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Picked it up for the airplane and I like it. King has sucked me in quickly with this book and I hope it means good things for the rest of the series.

Keep reading....an overall consistently strong series. I enjoyed all 3 books
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #762
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Becoming, by Michelle Obama. Very impressive. Put political opinions aside, if they might prevent you from reading this. She grew up in a poor, working class family, but worked hard, put herself through Princeton and then Harvard to then work as the only black lawyer in the most prominent law firm in Chicago, influencing the firm to become more diversified to the point that she actually became her more famous husband’s boss when they first met. The way she comports herself and discusses her family and struggles and how she has managed her life is really just, again, impressive.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #763
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Five.

This book details the lives of the women murdered by Jack The Ripper. Painstakingly researched by the author, this is a chilling book, not only because you know how fate leads each woman to the same ghastly death in the same Whitechapel area of London. It also details the extreme misfortune each woman experienced simply because they were women. The cruelty inflicted on them by the men in their lives and society at large is just horrible. The misogyny depicted here is criminal, and the plague of alcohol was a scourge each woman suffered, as well.

Most importantly, the common “myth” is that Jack The Ripper murdered prostitutes which, with the exception of the last woman, is blatantly false. This was a story concocted by the press at the time to further sensationalize the murders to sell more papers. Also, this mischaracterization of women who took social falls due to their spurning by the men in their lives is one more example of the misogyny they experienced.

As the book says, their greatest misfortunes were being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being women.

This book is a fascinating and terrific read.

Last edited by wktf; 06-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #764
protector2814
Phoenix

I read a review of The Five in the Wash. Post a few weeks back & it was a really good one. It sounds very intriguing &, now with your endorsement, I have every intention of picking this one up. It really sounds fascinating.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #765
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I read a review of The Five in the Wash. Post a few weeks back & it was a really good one. It sounds very intriguing &, now with your endorsement, I have every intention of picking this one up. It really sounds fascinating.
I hope you enjoy the book, Jerry!
Old 06-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #766
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four Volumes 1 - 10.

Though I’ve read nearly all of Stan and Jack’s FF stories, I wanted to read Kirby’s entire FF run in sequential order, which I’d never done before.

Wow. So many amazing characters, themes and storylines originated in these pages it’s simply impossible to recount them all. And, in keeping in mind that all of this was so groundbreaking at the time, the sheer joy of reading these works was tremendous. Not to mention seeing Kirby’s imagination just evolve and explode on these pages, along with the nuances and characterization Stan achieved in his scripting and dialogue.

All that said, both creators seemed to throw in the towel with volumes 9 & 10. In volume 9 alone, in three completely different story arcs, different villains all used hypnosis to negate the FF’s powers. Really? Were Stan and Jack so done with originality that they had to retread the same idea THREE TIMES within 10 successive issues. And Jack’s art? Well, Kirby still is Kirby, but the pages just lost the incredible life and dynamism of the first 8 volumes. Jack was gone before volume 10 was over, with John Romita’s less than impressive art filling in before John Buscema later took over. I know much of what’s been written of Jack’s anger and frustration with Stan, and the turmoil in their relationship, but it was a bit painful to see how that evidenced itself in the creative product they produced for the FF’s fans.

Volumes 1 - 8 are a resounding 10/10! Volume 9 & 10? Maybe a 6/10? Overall weighted average of 9/10. Given that this is the Lee/Kirby FF, I just wish I could say the entire 10 volume set is a 10/10. Just not the case, though.

Last edited by wktf; 06-08-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #767
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four Volumes 1 - 10.

Volumes 1 - 8 are a resounding 10/10! Volume 9 & 10? Maybe a 6/10? Overall weighted average of 9/10. Given that this is the Lee/Kirby FF, I just wish I could say the entire 10 volume set is a 10/10. Just not the case, though.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #768
Grace Morgan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Blogs mostly (like this one about gaming). The last book I read was... I don''t ever remember.
Grace Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #769
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Becoming, by Michelle Obama. Very impressive. Put political opinions aside, if they might prevent you from reading this. She grew up in a poor, working class family, but worked hard, put herself through Princeton and then Harvard to then work as the only black lawyer in the most prominent law firm in Chicago, influencing the firm to become more diversified to the point that she actually became her more famous husband’s boss when they first met. The way she comports herself and discusses her family and struggles and how she has managed her life is really just, again, impressive.

I just finished this as well and it was very good. In my opinion one of the absolute classiest first ladies this country has ever seen.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #770
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Just finished "Caddyshack: The Making of a Cinderella Hollywood Story" Not bad, a lot of cool stuff about Brian Kinney and Harold Ramis who I have always thought both were underrated. Very quick read, just a couple hundred pages.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote