Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

How good are Itoya's for storing art over a long period?

Hey guys,

I thought I would ask the question in hopes of some of the more senior art collectors to answer.

How good are Itoya's for storing art over a long period?

Reason I ask, is that I have about 11 pieces (I know that is not that much compared to most lol) that still need to be framed. Some of my pieces have been in a 13" x 19" Itoya art portfolio for over three years. This includes some different mediums. Ink with grey copics, ink with color copics, water color etc.

I know Itoya's claim to be archival and acid free etc., but I am always leary about keeping art outside of a frame for long periods of time. I try and frame my pieces, however it is very costly to museum frame a piece. Almost $400.00.

I also keep my Itoya wrapped up in a clean linen cloth as the Itoya outer case itself cannot be zipped up. Are there better products on the market? Better ways to store art? Where do you fine people store your Itoya portfolios? And the million dollar question... have any of your pieces ever discoloured over time being stored in an Itoya (Paper stock or otherwise)?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance!

- AF
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Hmmm.... I imagine if the artwork isn't crushed underneath piles of Itoyas, it should be fine? As long the artwork isn't in a overly humid place, it should be okay, I think. Honestly, I can't say for sure.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I think you are OK. I have had pieces in itoyas for 6+ years and see no issues. I have heard that a lot of people put their art in a mylar sleeve and then put that in the itoya - that is what I also plan to do

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I have all my art in Itoya's, other than a few framed pieces. I have seven of them stacked on top of each other in the top of my closet. Been that way for 5 years or so. Never had any problems. I do believe their claim that they are archival, so I feel safe keeping my art there. I've never seen any discoloring or anything. Only thing I've seen is when artists use really soft pencils and then don't spray the page with a fixative, the graphite can actually come off onto the plastic sleeve. My solution has just been to get those pieces inked over top the original pencils. I agree that you don't want to store them in a humid place, like near a bathroom or in a danky basement. Also, I think you need to let the paper breathe a little and not encapsulate the portfolios.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Alpha_Flight

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Alpha_Flight

Hey guys,

So I bought some Mylar sleeves and put my pieces into the sleeves and sealed them using acid free scotch tape for scrapbooking.

The sleeves look great and really enhance the visual aspect of the art.

I've read quite a bit on archiving original comic art, and some collectors are pretty extreme in their archival processes. One collector in particular, gets acid free, lignin free buffered backing boards, then puts the piece into a Mylar sleeve with the backing board, then seals it with acid free tape, THEN puts that into a larger Mylar sleeve and then into the Itoya. He claims that Itoya "claims" that their portfolios are acid free, however the black backing paper in the Itoya does break down over time and becomes acidic. He then puts his into a room that is humidity regulated at 40% and has an average temperature via an air conditioner of 15 - 20 degrees celcius.... That is dedication lol.

Not sure what to believe anymore, there are a lot of different opinions. For now, I will put my OA into just the Mylar then into an Itoya. Not sure if doing the same with prints is worth the money and hassle. Might put them in Mylar sleeves down the road.

Just thought I'd give some insight into archiving OA!

- AF
Old 08-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Flight View Post
One collector in particular, gets acid free, lignin free buffered backing boards, then puts the piece into a Mylar sleeve with the backing board, then seals it with acid free tape, THEN puts that into a larger Mylar sleeve and then into the Itoya. He claims that Itoya "claims" that their portfolios are acid free, however the black backing paper in the Itoya does break down over time and becomes acidic. He then puts his into a room that is humidity regulated at 40% and has an average temperature via an air conditioner of 15 - 20 degrees celcius.... That is dedication lol.
Dedication or overkill? For me, that is over the top but more power to him. I am not looking for my art to survive 1000 years

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote