Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Has the cheap con skecth gone the way of the dodo

Ive been to a few conventions lately, and it seems like convention sketches have really gone up a lot. I understand that at home commissions are going to be pricey, but it seems like some folks want nearly as much to draw pieces on the convention floor. Do you guys think cheap convention pieces will be phased out completely in the next few years?
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

As long as table costs rise, convention sketch costs will rise.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

unfortunately yes.

the price of commissions has outpaced growth in gdp, wages, and the stock market.

now is the time my friends to put any of your artistic skills to use and charge an arm and a leg to art collectors!!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I can't remember the last time I got a really affordable con sketch, besides some of the Sharpie freebies I'll get in my sketchbook from time to time.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

yeah, nowadays a $200 commission seems like a bargain. meanwhile, when you utility bill is over $200, you're like "who the heck left the ac running all day??"
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Lucky Baru
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

George Perez charges $40.00 for a sketch/blank cover. That's cheap in today's market.

Mr. Perez is one of the most delightful people you can meet at a Con too. He's been that way every time I have met him over the last three decades.

Famous, Ultra-talented, good-natured, and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for a sketch. Oh, and he seems to enjoy speaking with his fans. You can't beat that!
Lucky Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

The term con sketch is used very loosely from what I gather. Once upon a time I believe most people expected that a “con sketch” would be something that was done in pencil (or sharpie, not multiples) and done in a matter of minutes. As such, freebies were more common. Nowadays the term seems to mean different things to everyone and expectations fluctuate accordingly. If you ask an artist for a con sketch they might take it a number of ways and default to regurgitating their con commission price list (which I have no problem with). Plus, some artists just don’t prefer to do them if they have a lot of paid commissions (and if I am paid up for a commissions for the weekend I actually appreciate them using the time for my art). I have heard a lot of stories asking for a freebie and them adding more that they want (bg to the character, inks over pencils, etc.). Flipping is also in the back of a lot of artist’s minds as well and when you have grown men asking for free art they have to wonder what they are going to do with it. My kids still get a lot of free commissions (and sadly, I have know of adults that use their kids for free stuff). They aren’t extinct but they are greatly diminished.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I don't mind even paying for a quick sketch. I will usually ask how much they charge for a quick sketch in my sketchbook or in my hardcover. Most are very cool and will do something for free. Others ask for a few bucks, which again, I don't necessarily mind.

To Baru's point, you do have several artists who still will do affordable sketches for the fans - besides Perez, you have Mark Brooks, Phil Jimenez, Ken Lashley, Mike Choi, Stephane Roux. Even if some of these are Sharpie sketches, they're a bit more detailed. Guys like Jimenez and Brooks are class acts who do very nice sketches for $40. I guess I should rescind my comment above...answered too quickly!
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
RoscoeDeGama
Fantastic Four

$300 is the new $100!...sadly...
RoscoeDeGama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeDeGama View Post
$300 is the new $100!...sadly...
yeah, and a grand is the new 300
aric is offline   Reply With Quote