Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #191
SAB380
The X-Men

Some great work in this thread.
I'm coming around to the idea that its almost pointless buying statues without budgeting for a professional repaint.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #192
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
Some great work in this thread.
I'm coming around to the idea that its almost pointless buying statues without budgeting for a professional repaint.
I have a lot of pro-painted kits but actually only have 8 pro-painted repaints of pre-painted statues. Most of the time it isn't necessary but if it is a real grail for me and the factory paint isn't outstanding (like both Frazetta Barbarians) it is well worth it to me. If I had mad skills like Warhead I would probably at least do touch up on pretty much all of them, like he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I like what he did for you...but I disagree that those scars should be fresh wounds, the big scar on the left tricep should be Sculpted like a chunk of flesh was carved out of him shaped like an upper case M letter, and if it was a fresh wound the arm would have been blood soaked because of the severity of the damage.
Franks painting doesn’t really show any blood from those wounds, so that’s why I am in the mindset that those are old battle wounds, I still like what shedman did and all that matters is that you’re happy with it.
I definitely am going to fix the tricep scar on my statue to reflect more accurately IMO Franks painting.
The CS Moore Barbarian kind of has the M shaped sculpt you are talking about with the same depth for both. ARH has them almost separately with what looks like the upper one shallower and with scar tissue on the outside of it.

RE Frank's painting the Barbarian is one I have never seen in person. Billy got that one and as far as I know never shows it. I do have the "high resolution" print that came with the ARH Barbarian which is much clearer than the print I got from Elly in the early 1980's and I have looked as some other more clear pics I could find and the cut does have a pinkish color with no blood which is pretty close to the way Alex painted my CS Moore version (but his skin tone is too dark compared to painting IMO if I had a complaint about it) so I like the way Shedman did it, but of course it is all personal taste.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #193
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Here are a couple of close ups of my print from ARH and my print from Elly back in the 1980's. Neither photograph very well but there is definitely some kind of exposed pink flesh coloration to it. It is more noticeable in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07991.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	114562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07992.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	114563  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #194
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I absolutely love Frazetta’s Barbarian painting! My take on it from the 1st time I saw the original painting on the paperbacks and into the revised version which is which we all come to love, Is that this scar was not from this conquest due to the lack of blood on wound, maybe even a recent wound that is not 100% healed and is still irritated.

I have 3 posters also of Frazetta’s Barbarian, The one that Frank and Ellie had for sale the cheapest one, the ARH one and a bigger textile fabric one, none of those matched the color or crispness of Frank’s Icon book, I thought those pics nailed it, even though I never saw the original, the book photos show the hair on his chest and torso and the red gems on the gold plates around his neck, so I really like the pics from the Icon book, in those pics the color in the wound seems to suggest scar tissue to me, this is one of those paintings that I have studied and come to know well.

Here are some pics from my collection, didn’t want to dig out the ARH one from my box, but as you will see the best pic is from the Icon book.

My Original poster from website.

Another huge textile poster that I had.

From My Frazetta Icon book, I like the colors and details on this.

Here is my Moore’s/Frazetta Conan that I remember painting the scar a kind of pinkish tongue gumm color.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #195
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Oh yeah, I have most or all of the books I should have thought about digging out Icon, thanks. That color you painted is near perfect and pretty much what I was looking for but I saw the way Shedman had painted his, which he did after he saw the way Alex painted my CS Moore, and I really liked it so I asked him to do mine the same way.

Another painting that I have never seen in person but REALLY looks different in various printed versions is Swamp Demon. He is almost green on paperbacks that I have seen and even on the print I got from Elly but when you see the painting in the books with high def and on the specialty comic book I got from the meuseum he is very much more normal flesh colored. Kind of weird really.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #196
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I like what shedman did with yours and if I ever repaint my other Frazetta Barbarian, I would try something like he did on the scars.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote