Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

It will only destroy the flippers market. Those people who like the artwork will continue to support them as long as they continue to pick the right movies and artists to do the work.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I agree. If Mondo and the community are truly doing it because they are "art enthusiasts" then no one should care what the ES' are and rather that the maximum amount of folks can enjoy the work.

I had loads of luck with Mondo this spring but I would gladly forego the aftermarket value so that more of my peeps can enjoy the art.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Awesome
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I wouldn't really care if Mondo ditched the limited label and started doing all open editions, I wouldn't be the one losing money and customers. I would just wait until another business would start with movie screenprints and go from there so it would be no loss, but the thing is the reason Mondo even gets their licenses is because they plan to do limited runs in the first place, without that they are just mass produced posters that won't hold value at all.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
If they made everything open then the posters should go for $5 max therefore destroying the business, the reason why they price the posters so high is because of their limited nature and the amount of work needed to make screenprinted posters. Many of their customers would stop buying from Mondo since they would have no resell value at all.
If they're going to sell 10,000 units I would say a small discount is in order, but $5 for one of these posters is ridiculous. Even if they sold them for $5 a piece x 10,000 units, $50,000 doesn't sound to me like they're destroying their business let alone $400,000, especially compared to previous sales. Obviously every release won't sell these types of numbers, but I think the writing's on the wall. And if you think fans will be turned off by this, there's 9,300 people out there who disagree. I would be willing to bet anything that Mondo have never taken resell value into consideration when releasing their prints. It helps them create a mystique around their products, and increase interest, but they don't make a cent on anything that increases in value so that's not really important to them. They are a small operation that released limited amounts of their product not for collectability reasons, but because they are a small operation. I'm very curious to see how they handle this huge jump in quantity. I'm personally in the camp that just wants a cool quality poster, and could care less about resell value. The only thing I would buy and expect, or rather hope, to increase in value is original art. I'll definitely be interested to see how Mondo's experiment works out.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

The 'business' that gets ruined by this is the 'flipping' business and screw them anyway. I for one am sick of missing out only to see eBay flooded with prints minutes later and massively inflated prices. I say we raise the people's army, and seize control of the state. Or, you know change the way mondo does their drops.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
The 'business' that gets ruined by this is the 'flipping' business and screw them anyway. I for one am sick of missing out only to see eBay flooded with prints minutes later and massively inflated prices. I say we raise the people's army, and seize control of the state. Or, you know change the way mondo does their drops.

I bet you more than anyone around here would appreciate this change in Mondo's sales practices.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
Marvelito

I think they should continue doing what they did with TDKR, release the cool looking poster to everyone who wants one, and make the less attractive variant the limited one. It's a win win!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post

I bet you more than anyone around here would appreciate this change in Mondo's sales practices.
Yeah. It's weirdly ironic. I hate them flippers but it's guys like me that keep them flippin' flippers flipping. Flip it
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Yeah. It's weirdly ironic. I hate them flippers but it's guys like me that keep them flippin' flippers flipping. Flip it
I know, now stop it!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I know, now stop it!
Oh, believe me I have. I've slowed my roll considerably