Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 08-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I don't see any harm in doing so if you're only doing it once, to frame and display in your house.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I feel like "pirating" implies on a large scale and for sale illegally.
Yarr; I be agreein' with ya, t'is true.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Only if the original "owner" of the piece posted it then I would agree.
True; that helps.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I feel like "pirating" implies on a large scale and for sale illegally. This to me is no different than downloading an image unofficially and using it as wallpaper on your computer, it's for personal use and no one is profiting from it.
Ok, then not pirating but copyright infringement.

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Ok, then not pirating but copyright infringement.

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
This is definitely copyright infringement based on this definition.

Is it morally wrong though? That's up to the individual, and personally I don't think so in this case. Downloading something without permission when it's available commercially is both illegal and morally wrong, but doing so when it's not available otherwise and won't be done for profit seems harmless. Unless the artist in question has publicly stated he does not want this piece reproduced or shared that is.

If I were an artist and for whatever reason decided not to make a piece commercially available, and a fan wanted to go through the expense of making a copy for personal use, I would not have a problem with it. But again, this is just my opinion, the artist in this case may feel differently.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Just to clarify its on deviant art and on the right hand side of the page there is a facility to download the image???
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
If this is the reason, I see nothing wrong with it. My main concern would be finding an image file of a high enough quality to blow up, print and frame.
This has always been my sole barrier bro. Honestly I assume that you, like myself, pump thousands of dollars a year into the coiffers of theses studios, comic companies and artists. You are a customer and I look at providing the image as a customer service myself, a small bone for the folks paying the bills. This is a pretty minor act and as mentioned I see it as akin to using an image as desktop wallpaper. I say fill your boots if it is solely for your personal use.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Just to clarify its on deviant art and on the right hand side of the page there is a facility to download the image???
So he's obviously open to sharing the image, sounds like he's open to whatever interpretation one would put to "sharing", as long as no one is profiting from it's use which basically goes without saying.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
This has always been my sole barrier bro. Honestly I assume that you, like myself, pump thousands of dollars a year into the coiffers of theses studios, comic companies and artists. You are a customer and I look at providing the image as a customer service myself, a small bone for the folks paying the bills. This is a pretty minor act and as mentioned I see it as akin to using an image as desktop wallpaper. I say fill your boots if it is solely for your personal use.
Obviously
Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
MrYac
Hercules

there is nothing wrong with it, and frankly the guys who say there is are way too up on their moral high horse. i'm as much a crazy law abiding guy as you can find but give me a friggin break, printing out a friggin picture to hang on your wall violates not a damn thing, ESPECILLY if it was personally uploaded by the artist with no other intention but to share their art....or did all of you guys who are saying it's a moral issue get expressed written concent from all the copyright holders of the people involved in the creation of your avatar images too
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote