Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #51
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
As much as I enjoy the reads...yeah, I'm seeing the end of my collecting days too. At least current stuff. Pretty sad.

For a while now, I've been more than happy living off my Ominibi and Marvel Masterworks. While I will still buy the occasional new HC, I have so little time to devote to the new stuff anymore, especially since the storylines are of a massive length. Rereading the classics seems to fill my needs just fine. However, sadly, not all books have passed the tests of time.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #52
Jack8022
Daredevil

One More Day pretty much put me off Spider-man for years until just before Superior Spiderman started. The War of the Green Lanterns killed DC for me. I've been dropping more and more titles as time goes on and the books seem to just meander through storylines..
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #53
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

DC New 52 felt like a complete betrayal. I don't even know who these characters are anymore. It's like theast 50 years of reading don't count, or just are my archived reading of a life long universe that's come to an end.

And Marvel's new costume for Cap sucks. Movies are based on comics, not the other way around.

There, I feel better.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #54
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
DC New 52 felt like a complete betrayal. I don't even know who these characters are anymore. It's like theast 50 years of reading don't count, or just are my archived reading of a life long universe that's come to an end.

And Marvel's new costume for Cap sucks. Movies are based on comics, not the other way around.

There, I feel better.

I'd like to think that those 50 of years of reading will always count. Just because Phil Collins replaced Peter Gabriel as lead singer of Genesis and took things in a different direction doesn't make the early years of the band any less special or meaningful. We'll always have Lee and Kirby's run on FF, right? The harsh reality is that the medium has changed in such a way where it's become more market driven than story driven. Until that changes, we'll always have Paris.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #55
protector2814
Phoenix

I agree w/ Joe/wktf here. It's not really like forgetting Peter Gabriel in Genesis because soon, no one under 30's going to know who the hell Genesis even is. It's more like people forgetting Sean Connery as James Bond because Daniel Craig & the next Bonds will wipe the earlier Bonds from current pop-culture & relevancy. Remakes & updates do, imo, ultimately wipe away the legacy of the original characters & ideas in ongoing & continuing creations. Do all Batman readers know that he once carried & used a gun?, that Superman only used to leap? My non-comic book reading son, because of the movies, believes that Spiderman shoots webs from his wrists organically. Stuff gets lost in the wash all the time, especially in comics. But ... I like what RisingStar said ... but w/ a wee tweek, some of us, who remember, will always have Paris.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #56
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Return of Bucky, Jason Todd, Kraven.

Hulk + She-Hulk = OK, adding in Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Skaar, A-Bomb, Hiro-Kala, Lyra (She-Hulk) = Ugh

The return of variant & speculation fueled comics ala 90s hype.

Yearly publisher-sponsored events (ie. Fear itself, Age of Ultron)

The Deadpool craze ala 80s/90s Punisher/Ghost Rider hype

and finally, DC New 52...The End
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #57
Y3E
Gen 13

When they killed Jean Grey in X-men 137.
When they brought Jean Grey back in Avengers 263/FF 286
When they killed Jean Grey again in New X-men 150.

Bah, just bring her back, which Marvel will, and get it over with.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #58
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
You're reffering to classic Amazing Spider-man issues 229 & 230!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Pretty sure it was Romita Jr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Yes. I know for a fact it was JRJR
And if youre looking for that , I think you can read it in Amazing SpiderMan Essential #7-8!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #59
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Infinity was the final betrayal for me. A meandering, convoluted mess that went into multiple comics, was more of a marketing ploy than a story, and with an ending that was nothing short of a rip off of a famous Jim Starlin moment. Just terrible.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #60
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Infinity was the final betrayal for me. A meandering, convoluted mess that went into multiple comics, was more of a marketing ploy than a story, and with an ending that was nothing short of a rip off of a famous Jim Starlin moment. Just terrible.
I didn't read Infinity, nor do I plan to (the cosmic stuff I've never really felt all that connected to...), but yeah, I hear you Joe. It was really when the marketing machine took over the characters and stories that ended it for me. No respect for the past (which is what the medium was based on, at least for me!), and no respect for the fans.

It's ironic that the very movie franchises that we all dreamed of for so long--awesome as they are--have become part of the downfall of the medium. DC and Marvel are at this point playing for the TV and movie screens; the books are serving as marketing materials for the films and TV series.

On the bright side, that means that the characters will endure, and maybe that's the most important thing in the long run. But to see the books themselves become almost immaterial? Makes me sad, still.

I guess we'll always have the 60s/70s/80s!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote