Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
NotGwen
Justice League

Display Recommendations

Hello all! I'm looking for some advice on new shelves as well as recommendations on LED lighting. I have no shelf lighting whatsoever and am wanting to change that. Do you all have any types of lighting you really recommend? I've see some people use LED light strips as well as circular lights similar to the LEDBERG lights that IKEA sells. Is one better than the other in your opinion?

I currently have my pieces mostly displayed on Bestas from IKEA but am getting 2 busts this year which will be my first busts in the collection. I've been looking around as some bigger shelving options to accommodate these and was wondering if you all may have some suggestions.

Thanks!
NotGwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
scgt1
Frackin!

Wow no replies that's pretty crazy. Honestly Ikea lighting is WAY over priced. You can buy 6-8 led strips for a fraction of what Ikea want's for lighting on Amazon. Litever, HunHun etc just search led under cabinet lighting.

This is a picture of my setup using Billy Bookcases. I have 3 x 6ct of the HunHun 5000K Daylight strips connected to a 1 to 3 power splitter (needed this to extend the middle plug over the top of two of the transformers) that is plugged into a 6' extension cord which has a 3 plug end on it to a smart plug. I just tell Alexa to turn on display cabinet and walla. I only have mine at about 1/4 brightness.

My fiance has a 3 pack of the Litever 5000K daylights on top of her cabinets for uplighting and they really output about the same quality lighting. So there isn't really any difference other then the Litever doesn't include enough extension wires and they force you to purchase extra wires for $9.99. Since I was going 6ct I went with HunHun so I had all I needed in one kit. They are also a bit cheaper not even counting the extra cost for the extra extensions with Litever. Even then with Litever your still way under Ikea lighting price. I spent a total of $120+ tax I think on mine and it would have been in the $350+ ballpark with Ikea inflation. No thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hulk.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	978.9 KB
ID:	130502  
scgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
NotGwen
Justice League

It's a tough crowd haha. Thanks for the response! I will look into those brands. I kinda put my LED search on the backburner but started looking again a couple days ago at other's displays and the lights they use. Your display looks amazing!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
scgt1
Frackin!

Hey no problem Glad I ran into your post and was able to give my 2 cents about the Ikea lighting and the stupid overpricing of them.

I'm not a frequent browser here. Namely just come looking around if I'm trying to find something out. Got to many other noodles in the pot to spend much time here. So glad I just happened to see your post to give my experience in much more cost effective lighting.

Thanks for the kind words BTW. I've outgrown it so I have now had to find places for all the stuff and junk I've had in the 6 hanging Besta units in my office to make room for more. I'll be trying out a different light setup this time though as I need 8 since the cabinets are staggered I'll need outside lighting for 2 spaces. This does give me more storage though in the end for this very situation I find my self in now. LOL Just have to find the nearly all glass doors for these things or I'm stuck with a giant wooden border around each door as that is what Ikea thinks is the thing now. Hate how they retire all the good stuff.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
NotGwen
Justice League

I have 3 Bestas in my office but am looking at bigger shelving options for my living room as I have a few pieces like Prime 1's Huntress that simply won't fit in the Besta. I like how you have glass doors and I've seen some posts here from years ago of others who have glass doors on their shelves but, as far as I can tell IKEA doesn't really do that anymore.

I'm honestly considering having custom shelving done at this point. Outside of that and IKEA, I'm not really sure what my shelving options would be.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
scgt1
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGwen View Post
I have 3 Bestas in my office but am looking at bigger shelving options for my living room as I have a few pieces like Prime 1's Huntress that simply won't fit in the Besta. I like how you have glass doors and I've seen some posts here from years ago of others who have glass doors on their shelves but, as far as I can tell IKEA doesn't really do that anymore.

I'm honestly considering having custom shelving done at this point. Outside of that and IKEA, I'm not really sure what my shelving options would be.
I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but I was just brain storming outside and thought of Plexiglass sheets. They are inexpensive and should give the look of the old school Besta Tombo doors even more so they won't have the metal framing edge those have.

Others may move around their stuff quite often but I tend to only move if I have to make room and adjust things. So I was thinking the ugly picture frame option Ikea has now is $20 or $35 ea. This option may work for those with the larger Besta cabinets but I have the short units that are only 15" tall. When you toss in a 2" + border you are taking away from what's inside by like miles.

Hmmm how do I attach acrylic/plexi though. Ding Velcro! I already have felt strips sealing off the gap on my Billy/Oxberg unit that the doors create to keep dust and pet hair out to the best of my ability. Have had it setup since what October and haven't had to dust yet. I would say it's doing it's job.

If I were to put velcro attachment pieces in each corner and fill in the rest of the space with the felt for the same reason as mentioned above it should work out well and be less then the offering Ikea has right now in glass doors. Not to mention be way cheaper then it's going to cost me over time buying up the 6 Tombo doors I need across all the local sale apps etc. That's saying I'll ever run into all 6 I need.

Would end up being half the price of what Ikea is offering right now and that's including adding in the Velcro and felt strips. Acrylic/Plexi sheets are cheap for the size I need in 1/8 they are only $9.50ea if I go up in thickness 3/16 is $13.89ea and 1/4 is $15.99. Any of those options is cheaper then the lower cost door at Ikea before tax I will see everything in the cabinet unlike with using the Ikea door offerings now and they will be considerably lighter since the units are hanging on my wall above my computer monitors and one of my computers. LOL

So that is some food for thought on making a clear covering substitution for doors with a full viewing ability. You can usually get acrylic glue from places that sell acrylic/plexi sheets and Amazon has inexpensive hinges also up to 10pcs it looks like so if you wanted easier access and don't mind drilling extra holes in your cabinets that is an option for you. I think I'll just go the velcro route myself though so the view is not obstructed at all and I don't plan on getting into my units really once they are setup completely. If I need in them I'll just pop the plexi off and do what I need then pop it back on.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
NotGwen
Justice League

Now that's some good brainstorming! I like it. I'd like to see some pics for when you get everything set up!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
scgt1
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGwen View Post
Now that's some good brainstorming! I like it. I'd like to see some pics for when you get everything set up!
Yea I got my acrylic order placed but I've been sourcing adhesive strip magnets that are 1/2 black and will actually hold the panels. I did a test this morning with some 10lb velcro but I think the velcro option is going to allow more dust in then I would like. Not to mention the way Ikea cabinets go together the sides aren't completely flush with the top and bottom on the face.

The sides are about 1mm maybe recessed back from the top and bottom. This again leaves space for dust to enter and would leave the sides an open hay day for dust collection. So I'm trying to match up thicknesses with the magnet setup and the adheisive felt I have. Some magnet strips say they won't attract to each other others say they will then you hit the reviews and you get this stuff won't hold a pen etc.

I have the felt I was thinking of using along the top then some thin width black adheisive weatherstrip I was going to use on the sides but the weatherstrip is thicker so when velcro is used paired with how the velcro connection isn't a firm against itself connection the weatherstrip pushes out on the scrap acrylic I have here from another project long ago. Again allowing passage for dust.

Curse you Ikea for not making the fronts completely flush. LOL If they were I would use magnet strip all the way around and call it done. This would create a closed seal and I'm sure if they were the entire distance all the way around it would be enough hold for 1/8 acrylic. LOL

UPDATE

You know just had a brain fart. Use the 10lb velcro on the sides and the felt on the top and bottom. When the non grabbing side of the velcro is on the recessed side it's almost as thick as the top where the felt is. The cling side of the velcro makes up this difference and it appear as if in the corner and on the edge of the acrylic piece it's closed off against the felt not leaving a gap. I think I found the winner but just need to get black velcro or the white will stick out like a sore thump through the clear acrylic. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_083525[1].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	130604  
Old 06-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
NotGwen
Justice League

Been away, but I'm a fan of the idea! Any new update?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
ukshaun
Hercules

I use exterior LED light strips, attached to a length of wood via clear rubber clips.
The shelves are made from metal.
The wood frame i built myself. The glass came from IKEA Detolf units, which i no longer wanted to use, as they are dust magnets.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote