Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #231
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

IT'S ARRIVING TODAY!
IT'S ARRIVING TODAY!
IT'S ARRIVING TODAAAAAAY!

Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #232
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

Just a word of warning - I purchased one of the "early batch" released on 9/26 and also one of the "current batch" released on 11/6 and the quality is far inferior in the current batch.

I received the 11/6 version yesterday and there are serious casting, assembly and finishing issues on the current version, so inspect yours very carefully if you are purchasing one. To name a few of the most severe issues with my second statue:

• Casting of the cloud base was extremely sloppy with a white "release agent" still seen in the deeper areas, and thin translucent tags of resin where the piece was not thoroughly cleaned/shaped when released from the mold - mostly in between cloud formations almost like spider webs or something
• Improper assembly/fit of Wonder Woman's left lower leg / casting of this piece is about 85% of the size it should be compared to the earlier statue, so it's very obvious it's a separate piece
• Improper assembly/damage of Wonder Woman's head at the neck/choker (including chip at the joint near the back under the hair)
• Chipped/missing paint in several areas on both figures (Wonder Woman's chest, leg, face / Superman's neck and hair)
• Sloppy glue application at the lasso and also clouds/leg joint with glue residue smeared all over Wonder Woman's right leg
• Poor overall paint application with mis-colored touch-up attempts (flesh touch-up is gloppy and darker than the body color, so it's very obvious) with many smears/stray marks on both figures that should not be there

I understand from 30 years of collecting, the nature of production pieces and the expected inconsistencies in paint, quality control etc. But this is the worst I've seen in a long time, and is in stark contrast to the near-perfection of the earlier version which I had already raved about in this forum and elsewhere.

I will be sharing this information with DC's design team who I have close working relationship with. I'm sure they will be as surprised as I am, that their products are arriving in the condition they are.

I am working on capturing photos and additional notes, and will share any information and updates I receive on the matter.

Antony Coukos, Owner & Curator
ExperienceTheWonder.com
ETW_Curator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #233
Macethy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETW_Curator View Post
Just a word of warning - I purchased one of the "early batch" released on 9/26 and also one of the "current batch" released on 11/6 and the quality is far inferior in the current batch.

I received the 11/6 version yesterday and there are serious casting, assembly and finishing issues on the current version, so inspect yours very carefully if you are purchasing one. To name a few of the most severe issues with my second statue:

• Casting of the cloud base was extremely sloppy with a white "release agent" still seen in the deeper areas, and thin translucent tags of resin where the piece was not thoroughly cleaned/shaped when released from the mold - mostly in between cloud formations almost like spider webs or something
• Improper assembly/fit of Wonder Woman's left lower leg / casting of this piece is about 85% of the size it should be compared to the earlier statue, so it's very obvious it's a separate piece
• Improper assembly/damage of Wonder Woman's head at the neck/choker (including chip at the joint near the back under the hair)
• Chipped/missing paint in several areas on both figures (Wonder Woman's chest, leg, face / Superman's neck and hair)
• Sloppy glue application at the lasso and also clouds/leg joint with glue residue smeared all over Wonder Woman's right leg
• Poor overall paint application with mis-colored touch-up attempts (flesh touch-up is gloppy and darker than the body color, so it's very obvious) with many smears/stray marks on both figures that should not be there

I understand from 30 years of collecting, the nature of production pieces and the expected inconsistencies in paint, quality control etc. But this is the worst I've seen in a long time, and is in stark contrast to the near-perfection of the earlier version which I had already raved about in this forum and elsewhere.

I will be sharing this information with DC's design team who I have close working relationship with. I'm sure they will be as surprised as I am, that their products are arriving in the condition they are.

I am working on capturing photos and additional notes, and will share any information and updates I receive on the matter.

ExperienceTheWonder.com
Pics to show the problems?

I just received mine and apart from a little paint missing from WW finger nails, it looks flawless. The LCS I got it from apparently ordered 20 of which 2 were completely cracked, so yeah.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #234
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

I'm working on capturing photos before I return it.

Hopefully this is just a dud, but I've heard of several out of this batch being cracked, flawed or otherwise. What I can't believe is that these with serious surface imperfections made it through inspection. I understand damage during transit is another story. But these made it through QC and into the box from the factory as "acceptable". Amazing!

Hopefully this severity is not the norm and I appreciate the information you shared. It makes me feel more confident that my replacement may be a better example more like the first one!

Stay tuned...
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #235
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

I received mine a couple weeks ago. Came out real nice. Their are a couple little minor flaws that probably only I notice, but overall it looks great.

No pics just because I'm too lazy.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #236
built2shred
Phoenix

I noticed on mine there is a small indent on her leg where it connects to the clouds...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #237
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

Here are my photos documenting the poor QR on this specific example:

ExperienceTheWonder.com
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #238
skorpsta
Ghost

wow anthony so sorry ....your such amazing painter...that your better getting one with defects for like 35% off and repaint it...and then get a mint one down ...your paint ups are amazing
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #239
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

Thanks for the kind words! Thankfully this is the SECOND one I purchased but at an MSRP of $250 - there should be no exceptions.

Speaking of paint-ups, I'm working on another custom piece - including sculpting changes. Check out the WIPs if you like: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7386567&type=3
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #240
Macethy

shocking! Can't believe yours turned out so badly!

Mine has two minor paint flaws that I can live with honestly. Here are some sneak peaks before my review goes up...