Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #521
Vader
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
they shouldn't be. CBSA is using a bullcrap, vague code to gouge us. VS fought them and won...6 times.

We all should do the same.
i know. but I did check with them directly. It's a wealth tax. if you can afford this stuff, the government thinks you can afford the tax. That's Canada's way of ensuring that other social services are available to those who are in need. I guess I don't begrudge it really.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #522
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
You're joking right? The only company we do not have access to is XM. Every other company, Iron Studios, Prime 1, PCS, HMO, etc...we can buy from. Besides, it is not SS who determines where the statue companies can sell the products, it is the licensed owners.

"Ridiculous shipping costs"?! You're joking right? We are saving a lot of money from shipping cost through SS. If you try to have the statues you buy from SS shipped from US or China, you would be paying a minimum of $100. Buying XM from Singapore is a prime example of how much shipping cost, $250 plus.
All 1/4 scale Marvel and DC is distributed through Sideshow, no matter who makes it. You can buy it through different outlets but it's all "through" SS. I'm not overly familiar with PCS and HMO products but as far as I'm aware they don't make Marvel and DC. Word is XM just got a worldwide licence for their 1/4 scale Samurai Batman series. Maybe things will change in the future, but as of right now if you buy 1/4 scale in North America, it's "from" SS.

If you compare shipping to places such as BBTS, it's actually a lot more from SS. Even considering BBTS sells Sideshow products. As far as shipping overseas, I understand it's a lot more to ship from Asia due to distance and overseas. Buying through my XM grey market dealer actually ends up being less money due to claim less value and CAD dollar exchange. Those two factors I understand SS doesn't control, I'm just saying.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #523
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
This is all part of the bigger problems with Sideshow. When I say Sideshow doesn't care about International collectors, it's not simply for one reason alone. And it's because I want Sideshow to understand how I feel about their inaction over their issues. I want them to say "These people are having a hard time, they love our products, we want their business, what can we do to best serve them." But that's the problem, they know we have no other choice, as they have essentially blocked any other company from selling 1/4 scale in North America. We can talk about Sideshow's ridiculous shipping costs. There are numerous things Sideshow could do to help international collectors and thus, help their sales, but they just won't.
Companies will usually strive to create the best situation for customers to buy their products. Sideshow knows we have no other choices, and knows they have to do nothing. So that's what they will do. Ask the consumer for more. And in this case, ask the consumer to do their work for them.
Sorry man, but you're being really vague here. The only grievance I see in the above is shipping costs, and shipping costs are, yet again, not really dictated by Sideshow. Or rather, if carriers are jacking up the price, they have to adjust.

Are you fairly new to collecting? The reason I ask is, going back over the years, Sideshow heavily subsidized shipping costs to Canadian customers. Sideshow has shipped pieces to me over the years for $25-$40, when the "real" cost was multiples of that. They shipped me the Fury of the Beast dio for $40, which weighs 50lbs and has a box the size of a small fridge. If I wanted to ship that thing to SoCal, it would cost hundreds of dollars.

Yes, we're paying more now, but I'm certain it's because that increase reflects "real" increases across the board. Other businesses, including BBTS, seem to be quoting me way more in shipping for my service of choice, so I don't know why our experiences are diverging this much.

Regardless, I've gotten great rates from SS cumulatively over the years, not to mention amazing customer service any time I've had an issue to sort out. And in a couple of instances, they've gone above and beyond to help me out, including refunding NRDs that they didn't have to refund, and helping me out on stuff that was past the 30-day window. In my experience, they have the best customer service in the business, and that's worth something. And it's the reason why I give them the benefit of the doubt.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #524
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
i know. but I did check with them directly. It's a wealth tax. if you can afford this stuff, the government thinks you can afford the tax. That's Canada's way of ensuring that other social services are available to those who are in need. I guess I don't begrudge it really.
I begrudge it...especially when the logic used is contrary to the spirit and meaning of the law. duty is to protect canadian industry...and no such company exists in canada that I am aware of.

I plan to fight and get my $ back.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #525
COI

Quote:
I begrudge it...especially when the logic used is contrary to the spirit and meaning of the law. duty is to protect canadian industry...and no such company exists in canada that I am aware of.
Agreed.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #526
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Sorry man, but you're being really vague here. The only grievance I see in the above is shipping costs, and shipping costs are, yet again, not really dictated by Sideshow. Or rather, if carriers are jacking up the price, they have to adjust.

Are you fairly new to collecting? The reason I ask is, going back over the years, Sideshow heavily subsidized shipping costs to Canadian customers. Sideshow has shipped pieces to me over the years for $25-$40, when the "real" cost was multiples of that. They shipped me the Fury of the Beast dio for $40, which weighs 50lbs and has a box the size of a small fridge. If I wanted to ship that thing to SoCal, it would cost hundreds of dollars.

Yes, we're paying more now, but I'm certain it's because that increase reflects "real" increases across the board. Other businesses, including BBTS, seem to be quoting me way more in shipping for my service of choice, so I don't know why our experiences are diverging this much.

Regardless, I've gotten great rates from SS cumulatively over the years, not to mention amazing customer service any time I've had an issue to sort out. And in a couple of instances, they've gone above and beyond to help me out, including refunding NRDs that they didn't have to refund, and helping me out on stuff that was past the 30-day window. In my experience, they have the best customer service in the business, and that's worth something. And it's the reason why I give them the benefit of the doubt.
I've been collecting comics my entire life (25 years) but yes I've been in statues for about 2 years. It seems we have had very different experiences with Sideshow customer service. I had to modify an order once and it was the biggest battle I've ever had. Though I've heard lots of people with good experiences so maybe it depends on who you get in there.

Their shipping to Canada is pretty much in line with other companies, I'll agree with that. BBTS ships to my USA address for $4.00, which is a huge difference. They do that across the continental US. I haven't received a shipment in Canada with this new DHL shipping but I've heard it's pricey.

From what I understand Sideshow did have a Canadian warehouse at one time, which may have explained lower shipping in the past. You'd have to ask them why they don't have it anymore.

As far as vagueness goes, I already listed my issues with their response to the letter, and why it reveals some issues for me, and raises questions about what they have done to combat this.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #527
ambasah
Red Skull

they never had a canadian warehouse. they partnered up with a specific Canadian AD who assisted with returns and replacements. But that relationship dissolved for whatever reason.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #528
ComicJesus

Quote:

Yep, lets flood the CBSA with cases. They will have to work for this money if they want it from me.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #529
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:

Exactly! That is why the 3926.40 should not be use since there are no companies in Canada producing these statues.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #530
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

On an update, I had a personal conversation with Robin Selvaggi at Sideshow. I actually prefer the call over the phone instead of the generic email. I get Sideshow view on this. It really stems to CBSA that they are the problem. There are no consistency between 1 province to another. This 39426.40 ruling has hurt a lot of Canadian business. It should never had applied.

I contacted CBSA in Richmond, BC and left them a message regarding the ruling in my favor and asked them to sent me a letter to see what HS code was used. I will forward that to SSC. However, this case will probably take upwards of 9 months to see any changes.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote