Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #1071
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Collectors choose themselves what they will or wont pay $470 on as one's opinion on the quality of a paint app is purely subjective. You may hate it and others may love it. Myself, I am MORE than happy to pay $470 for this statue plus shipping. From what I have seen thus far I have absolutely zero complaints.

Based on these pictures, I think the paint app looks great on the face!

IMO, this is just one bad a*s statue. Just another home run by Sideshow in my book. And for those that think the current prices are crazy, there is nothing forcing people to buy these statues. One of the great things about the current statue market is they have statues at pretty much every price range there is. If you dont want to spend $400+ then move to 1:5 or 1:6 or start buying from different companies. You can buy from DC Direct, Kotobukia, Yamoto, etc. You can buy Diamond Select statues for the various DC animated series for as low as $30-$40.

And I really love this angle!

For me it's a matter of the money I'm paying for current ss and what I'm getting vs what I used to pay and what I got. Back in the days I got way more for my money. I sure a lot of people would agree with me. I think a lot of people would be shocked who collect mostly ss as myself take a hard look at their collection past and present and look at the price and what the got overall in paint, packaging, edition size etc.

When I look at the 2017 statues all I see is better sculpt nothing mind blowing as it used to be. And when production hits it's usually lower then prototype.

There is a reason why there is a term old school sideshow.

But your right I can take my money elsewhere my only issue is I truly feel people have settled for less that's why they keep doing what they are doing.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #1072
Vendetta
The X-Men

She looks very good. Hopefully Black Canary looks OK quality-wise next to Batgirl and Huntress.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #1073
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post

But your right I can take my money elsewhere my only issue is I truly feel people have settled for less that's why they keep doing what they are doing.
That's like, just your opinion man.

You must really be upset, because everyone of your posts just bashes on SS.

Completely disagree that people are settling for less. SS is pumping out some of their best work ever. Now, do you get the same value for money is a different argument, but the landscape has changed. Point being, you can gripe about pricing all you want, but to bag on the pieces themselves? Cmon man!
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #1074
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
That's like, just your opinion man.

You must really be upset, because everyone of your posts just bashes on SS.

Completely disagree that people are settling for less. SS is pumping out some of their best work ever. Now, do you get the same value for money is a different argument, but the landscape has changed. Point being, you can gripe about pricing all you want, but to bag on the pieces themselves? Cmon man!
The most ironic part is that his -----ing is on a piece that looks like it turned out flawless and nearly identical to the prototype.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #1075
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
For me it's a matter of the money I'm paying for current ss and what I'm getting vs what I used to pay and what I got. Back in the days I got way more for my money. I sure a lot of people would agree with me. I think a lot of people would be shocked who collect mostly ss as myself take a hard look at their collection past and present and look at the price and what the got overall in paint, packaging, edition size etc.
I couldn't possibly disagree more. I would much rather pay the prices i am paying now and receive the quality statues I have received the last couple years running then go back to the level of pricing and quality that we used to see with Sideshow. IMO Sideshow has significantly raised both the quality of their designs and the quality of their statues the last couple of years. And the fact that Sideshow has been selling significant more statues then they ever have before, even in light of the significantly higher prices and much larger edition sizes...well, IMO that is extremely telling. If people didn't feel they were getting their money's worth, they wouldn't continue to support Sideshow, especially at these price levels. And the last thing we would see is a very noticeable increase in Sideshow sales, which is exactly what we have seen the last couple of years.

Quote:
When I look at the 2017 statues all I see is better sculpt nothing mind blowing as it used to be. And when production hits it's usually lower then prototype.
Again, couldn't possibly disagree more. Of the roughly 30 statues I purchased over the last couple of years, only 2 were noticeably lower in quality than the prototypes (1st Red Sonja & Emma Frost). IMO Batgirl, Modern Batman, Cleopsis, Captain Marvel, Green Ivy, Lady Death, Purgatori, Red Sonja, Amazing Spider-Man, Skeletor, TMNT's etc. were all amazing statues and were absolutely spot on with the prototypes. And I could list another 15+ that were amazing statues that were EXTREMELY close to the prototypes.

IMO, 2016 was Sideshow's best year to date by far and 2017 is shaping up to be another stellar year. You have Thanos, the new Red Sonja, Huntress, Malavestros, Carnage, Deadpool, Pepper, Gethsemoni, Harley Quinn, Jane Foster Thor, Bane, Freddy Krueger, Angela, etc. all coming down the line. Not to mention they have a lot of upcoming statues that look amazing especially with their Court of the Dead line.

Quote:
There is a reason why there is a term old school sideshow.
Yes there is and its because Sideshow is a very different company than it used to be. It used to be a company that had very low edition sizes and now it caters to the mass market of high end statues. Every time I have seen that term used, it was in reference to pricing and edition sizes and not in regards to the actual quality of the statues.

Quote:
Again, I don't buy this for a second. Its just not how markets work, especially markets that have so many different options and so much competition. If people weren't content with their Sideshow purchases, especially at these price levels, they would not continue to support Sideshow. You would actually see a decline in sales, not a very noticable increase in sales, which is exactly what we have seen the last couple years with Sideshow. Its in markets where monopolies exist where people will continue to buy even in light of being disappointed with the quality of particular products as they don't have any other options available. The statue market is absolutely flooded with competition, at all different levels of quality, pricing, and statue sizing. So again, I don't buy for a second that people have simply decided to settle for the current level of quality and pricing for SIdeshow statues. And that's not just based on my opinion as I am these forums all the time and most of the statues Sideshow has released the last couple of years were vry well recieved on this forum.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #1076
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I'm not sure how you guys can compare old to new and still justify the price hike(s)...

I look at both OG Batman and MA Bats, WW, PI, Arkham Joker & Bats, all relatively older (to me) statues and then I look at BC, Affleck Bats (both), Bane and I see the same quality, fortunately that's great quality. I haven't gotten a flawed piece.

So what I'm saying is there is no difference between then and now to hike $400 when I started to $550 avg, and still climbing. In some case we got less switchouts and still paid more (ex BC). We aren't getting "more". As a matter fact we now pay more for the exclusive coh.

Now CM DP had some great poses but $100 to $200 over great... idk.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #1077
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
I'm not sure how you guys can compare old to new and still justify the price hike(s)...
I'm not sure how people like you can compare the old to the new and not see the significant increase in quality, especially when referring to the level of detail on the statues. My comparisons are based on the quality of the design, the quality of the statues, the level of detail on the statues, the level of quality control (which has increased considerably), the quality of the paint app etc. Not to mention, you have to factor it the rise in costs that have occured with chinese manufacturing and shipping costs.

In regards to the level of detail on the statues, I can EASILY tell the difference between the statues we have seen the last couple of years and the statue we saw prior to that. The statues released the last couple of years have significnatly more detail. As I stated in another thread, Red Sonja is a perfect example. Compare the 1st Red Sonja PF which cost $379 with the last 2 Red Sonja's, which cost $550 and $560 for the EX's. The difference in the level of detail is nothing short of mind blowing.

Quote:
So what I'm saying is there is no difference between then and now to hike $400 when I started to $550, and still climbing. In some case we got less switchouts and still paid more (ex BC). We aren't getting "more".
Your entitled to your opinoin, but I disagree with it 100%. I have unquestionably seen a very significant increase in the amount of detail in these statues as time has gone on and I have also noticed a significant increase in the quality of the designs. And people continue to write off the price increases that have occured with Chinese manufacuring and shipping costs. Nobody knows exactly what percentage of the price increases are due to those rising costs, but there is absolutely no question whatsoever that the cost of shipping and Chinese manufacturing have gone up in recent years. So once I factor all of those things together, I can absolutely see the justification for the current prices and again, I for one would much rather have these level of prices given the quality of the statues we have seen released since the price increases started then go back to the lower pricing and lower quality statues we were seeing before prices started rising.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #1078
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post

I look at both OG Batman and MA Bats, WW, PI, Arkham Joker & Bats, all relatively older (to me) statues and then I look at BC, Affleck Bats (both), Bane and I see the same quality, fortunately that's great quality. I haven't gotten a flawed piece.

So what I'm saying is there is no difference between then and now to hike $400 when I started to $550 avg, and still climbing. In some case we got less switchouts and still paid more (ex BC). We aren't getting "more". As a matter fact we now pay more for the exclusive coh.

Now CM DP had some great poses but $100 to $200 over great... idk.
I think pay increase is due to supply and demand. More companies demanding statues to be produced and not as many manufacturing companies so these companies can charge more.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #1079
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I think pay increase is due to supply and demand. More companies demanding statues to be produced and not as many manufacturing companies so these companies can charge more.
I think its more than just that as there has been a rise in Chinese manufacturing pretty much across the board, not just with high end statues.

'Made in China' isn't so cheap anymore, and that could spell headache for Beijing

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/chin...p-anymore.html

Quote:
Chinese factory workers are now getting paid more than ever: Average hourly wages hit $3.60 last year, spiking 64 percent from 2011,
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #1080
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I'm not sure how people like you can compare the old to the new and not see the significant increase in quality, especially when referring to the level of detail on the statues. My comparisons are based on the quality of the design, the quality of the statues, the level of detail on the statues, the level of quality control (which has increased considerably), the quality of the paint app etc. Not to mention, you have to factor it the rise in costs that have occured with chinese manufacturing and shipping costs.

In regards to the level of detail on the statues, I can EASILY tell the difference between the statues we have seen the last couple of years and the statue we saw prior to that. The statues released the last couple of years have significnatly more detail. As I stated in another thread, Red Sonja is a perfect example. Compare the 1st Red Sonja PF which cost $379 with the last 2 Red Sonja's, which cost $550 and $560 for the EX's. The difference in the level of detail is nothing short of mind blowing.

Your entitled to your opinoin, but I disagree with it 100%. I have unquestionably seen a very significant increase in the amount of detail in these statues as time had gone on and I have also noticed a significant increase in the quality of the designs. And people continue to write off the price increases that have occured with Chinese manufacuring and shipping costs. Nobody knows exactly what percentage of the price increases are due to those rising costs, but there is absolutely no question whatsoever that the cost of shipping and Chinese manufacturing have gone up in recent years.
"People like you"?! JK

Were talking about DC, not Red Sonja. DC's are much more simplistic. Theyre all museum poses for the most part so nothing extravagant. And like I said, ALL my pieces have been great so comparing MY Poison Ivy to this I see no difference in paint app and def no more "detail". Each character has its own outfit so if it requires more "detail" that isn't because SS developed it and deserves some kind of credit.

Sure Hunty has a great stance and a proper switchout and she's less than PF's are today and Bane was creative in his base but he BETTER be for $700.

I think your level of improvement from 2 years ago to today is over exaggerated. And China being the blame for the hikes, sure, a little but not as much as its going. EACH new PF has a higher price (ODD). Show where pricing has leveled out with ANY PF.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote