Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #3191
SONICobra
Batman

I think im at the point im careful enough buying stuff i might sell but its the same for me when i have sold stuff. its on ebay for as much or less than i paid. I guess i just find it annoying because i know the deals are out there but its like everything im looking for is never below retail and rarely at retail (on ebay)
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #3192
yohanezrwin
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I think im at the point im careful enough buying stuff i might sell but its the same for me when i have sold stuff. its on ebay for as much or less than i paid. I guess i just find it annoying because i know the deals are out there but its like everything im looking for is never below retail and rarely at retail (on ebay)
just same case with me

and more ---- for this statue, my wolvie is badly bending right now
yohanezrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #3193
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
where exactly is this secondary market with copious deals so many speak of? ebay is not that great for deals
I think on eBay you have to watch for deals like a hawk and be patient which sometimes it’s taxing. Also I don’t trust fb post tho seems to be happening a lot.

Also I hate selling on eBay cause you have to disclose any tiny thing on a statue and it’s hard to do so with only 12 pics. Cause if one little thing isn’t shown some collectors freak and call you a jerk, even if it’s a manufacturer flaw. Why I don’t claim near mint or mint even if they are and will talk someone out of buying if that’s what they want.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:16 AM   #3194
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Yep. They are bargains on the secondary markets.

We should start a thread on best bargains for statues.
I sold +- 400 statues (Street Fighter, DC, Marvel, LotR, Star Wars, Mortal Kombat, Warhammer, ...), props and replicas over the last 3 years since my basement was completely full of them and the boxes took my complete second basement + garage.

In the first year I started to sell, I was able to get double the price of retail. That was facilitated by the lower retail prices, since the pieces were bought from 2007-2015 and prices were about 200-400 USD (depending on how large the pieces are) for a PF. That is about 500 Euro shipped with taxes for each tops.

Then (in 2017) prices started to drop a lot. I assume because of the new players (at that time) in the market that started small (mainly Prime 1 & XM). They suddenly produced a lot more statues. At the same time, PCS statues were almost impossible to sell for retail because of their massive customer service problems. Look at their “value” now (just 2 examples):

I was lucky enough I could sell 90% of my stuff over retail before the collapse of the statue bubble (even the Street Fighters), when I would have started to sell one year later I would have lost a LOT of money.

The only collectibles that held their value were limited replicas and the “grail” statues like OG Hulk, OG Doom and some others that collectors are still after. Hence, for me new statues are no collectibles anymore, rather great decoration items. In case I have to sell something to make space, I am aware that I most likely will lose money.

This trend of decreasing prices on the aftermarket still goes on, this combined with the rising retail prices and even more players that enter the market made me completely reconsider my impulse buys and made me a lot more picky and patient.

Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:16 AM   #3195
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Double

Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:45 AM   #3196
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Still the best Wolverine to date. Hoping we get Brn version reveal during Spook.
I’d love that. But it needs to be the same cost, not more.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:02 AM   #3197
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Like others, I used to get decent sales on eBay but recently these things just don’t sell as high as they used to. I’ve sold several pieces I no longer want for considerably less than I paid for them. Plus the dang ebay PayPal seller fees subtracted from that.

But on the flip side, of course statues I want are the ones that sell for over retail. Smh go figure lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
I think on eBay you have to watch for deals like a hawk and be patient which sometimes it’s taxing. Also I don’t trust fb post tho seems to be happening a lot.

Also I hate selling on eBay cause you have to disclose any tiny thing on a statue and it’s hard to do so with only 12 pics. Cause if one little thing isn’t shown some collectors freak and call you a jerk, even if it’s a manufacturer flaw. Why I don’t claim near mint or mint even if they are and will talk someone out of buying if that’s what they want.
Exactly. And we all know sideshow’s quality. Little paint imperfections, etc, the things most here would ignore or accept, an eBay buyer won’t because they’re looking to spend less money.

I try to list anything I think someone could scrutinize but I’ve still had several statues sent back to me because the buyer was unhappy. One came back with damage but of course ebay didn’t want to help me out so I got stuck with a damaged statue that I didn’t send out damaged.

One person...if I don’t get feedback I wait about a week and ask the buyer if they received their piece successfully, that way I can confirm everything is ok and hopefully inspire them to leave me feedback, or if there’s an issue I can solve it...this person didn’t respond and then waited until the period for filing a dispute was almost over to put in a claim that their statue arrived broken...maybe it did, I’ve gotten broken pieces from sideshow so it can happen during shipping, but it seemed more to me like they broke it and skipped communicating with me altogether and went straight to an eBay dispute to avoid speaking to me.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #3198
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohanezrwin View Post
and more ---- for this statue, my wolvie is badly bending right now
Bending? Are there some QC issues with this statue?
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #3199
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
Bending? Are there some QC issues with this statue?
No. There is no way this will lean in time. If someone received a "leaning" statue from the start, it should have been addressed at source.

Can't believe this BS still comes up. Virtually everyone who purchased, reviewed, or just saw this statue at a Con were floored. Owners, myself included, still are awed by this magnificent sculpt. The sad reality is a lot of ignorant people leaning towards stupidity, following the leads(leans) of crap disturbing, myopic, nitpickers, regardless of countless positive testimonials from collectors, encompassing all aspects of this sculpt.

Bottom line? Enjoy this statue! It's a keeper, which will hold-up for a very long time. Best part? the longer you have it, the more you will dig it.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #3200
chronos1919
Nightwing

Ah, good to know. I just assembled mine and it seemed very solid.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote