Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Love the description where the Infantryman is so blinded by darkness, smoke and fog that he has to reach out and feel for the idling German Tank's soft side with his fingers in order to know where to shoot at it w/ hiz bazooka.
It amazes me how those guys fought with those temperatures with very little or no winter clothing
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Coug, have you ever read "What If? Strategic Alternatives of World War II"?

Easily one of my favorite publications regarding the war. I love the format of the book: Follows the war's chronological timeline, and with every major (and a ton of minor) decision made by all the parties involved, it lays out what they decided/what actions were taken/what consequences ensued because of said actions, followed by the "what if" scenario of how things would have potentially turned out if a different decision or action had been taken. These vary from paper-signing events to battlefield skirmishes (thankfully most fall under the latter, although the former is no less enticing). Maps and charts and such complement many of the scenarios.

I bought the book right after returning from Normandy, France in '04 (one of our stops on our honeymoon, and it was also the 60th anniversary of the landings there.)
World War II is something I've had great interest in for quite a few years (I wouldn't say I'm a "fan of it", as that's somewhat.. horrific.. but you get the gist).

An excellent read, if you don't own it already.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

The best WWII book I've read is "Das Boot".
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

ct i had read this great mafia book it was about the history of the mafia all the way up to gotti...
great stuff ill look around and try to find it for ya
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Coug, have you ever read "What If? Strategic Alternatives of World War II"?

Easily one of my favorite publications regarding the war. I love the format of the book: Follows the war's chronological timeline, and with every major (and a ton of minor) decision made by all the parties involved, it lays out what they decided/what actions were taken/what consequences ensued because of said actions, followed by the "what if" scenario of how things would have potentially turned out if a different decision or action had been taken. These vary from paper-signing events to battlefield skirmishes (thankfully most fall under the latter, although the former is no less enticing). Maps and charts and such complement many of the scenarios.

I bought the book right after returning from Normandy, France in '04 (one of our stops on our honeymoon, and it was also the 60th anniversary of the landings there.)
World War II is something I've had great interest in for quite a few years (I wouldn't say I'm a "fan of it", as that's somewhat.. horrific.. but you get the gist).

An excellent read, if you don't own it already.
thanks for this suggetion
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #16
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

No problem.

I only read it once, now I think I'll pick it up again once I thin out other stuff I'm reading currently.. haha. I want to be sure the high praise I gave it two posts up is justly deserved..

My high praise for it might also be due to having JUST been to Normandy and actually having met some heroes from World War II as they themselves walked the beach/stayed at our hotel, but I do remember the book to have held my interest.

Is it grit-your-teeth-can't-wait-for-the-next-page reading? No. Is it well thought-out, though? Yes.

I regret having misplaced a book I bought while in Normandy on letters that the soldiers had written home to their loved ones regarding the war. It was a gorgeously-penned endeavour, as it was actual accounts from soldiers. I don't remember the title, and I don't recognize it's cover anywhere on Amazon.. both which have me somewhat irked.

Fun thought just came to mind.. I could call Normandy, France to see if the museum bookstore there could send me a copy.. haha. Craziness.

Let me know if you want info on that also, Coug, once I track it down. I haven't found it in the States yet.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
No problem.

I only read it once, now I think I'll pick it up again once I thin out other stuff I'm reading currently.. haha. I want to be sure the high praise I gave it two posts up is justly deserved..

My high praise for it might also be due to having JUST been to Normandy and actually having met some heroes from World War II as they themselves walked the beach/stayed at our hotel, but I do remember the book to have held my interest.

Is it grit-your-teeth-can't-wait-for-the-next-page reading? No. Is it well thought-out, though? Yes.

I regret having misplaced a book I bought while in Normandy on letters that the soldiers had written home to their loved ones regarding the war. It was a gorgeously-penned endeavour, as it was actual accounts from soldiers. I don't remember the title, and I don't recognize it's cover anywhere on Amazon.. both which have me somewhat irked.

Fun thought just came to mind.. I could call Normandy, France to see if the museum bookstore there could send me a copy.. haha. Craziness.

Let me know if you want info on that also, Coug, once I track it down. I haven't found it in the States yet.
Thanks, I'll try the what if for now. I would love to visit Normandy one day even if just to pay my respect those men
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
ftrez
Nightwing

Burgett also wrote 3 other great books besides 7 Roads to Hell.

Check out:

Curahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

I need to read the rest of Burgett's books. His stuff is fantastic
Old 01-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I also have an interest in WWII history, but haven't come across a book that's really grabbed me yet. I picked up Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters, but it's been a real bore. I've got huge respect for him, but the poor guy can't even make his experiences in Easy Company interesting. I prefer to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak, but then..they were soldiers, not writers. I hear Ambrose was great at telling these stories..so I may give it a go. I'll look into Burgett too.

If you also have an interest in Vietnam, I highly recommend Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote