Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
3tdanger
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

2009 SDCC Commission Requests

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone here going to SDCC is willing to get me a commission from either or both David Finch & Gab Dell'Otto. I'll of course reimburse you for the cost & a little extra for your time & effort.
3tdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm not sure how many commissions you've lined up for, but both of these guys command gigantic fanbases, and charge big $$$$$ dollars for their commissions. Asking someone to go out of pocket for that kind of money is asking a lot.

Gabs is more than likely not going to be in SDCC, at least from the sources I've checked with. He's got deadlines for Marvel covers and Batman Europa that will probably keep him on the other side of the pond, at least until 2010 NYCC.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me about you asking for a favor from the board at large, I just thought I'd give you some info, so that you know exactly what you are asking someone to do for you. I've had board mates retrieve commissions for me, but I've always paid them a substantial chunk of cash (50-100 dollars), and paid for the commission ahead of time with the artist directly. Asking someone to go out of pocket for 500-1000 dollars for a relative stranger is requesting a lot...which may explain why no one else has responded to the thread.
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I think that if you don't have Finch already lines up, it could be hard to get it.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Dell'Otto is going to be there?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I think that if you don't have Finch already lines up, it could be hard to get it.
Does he not do the "stand in line and get a sketch" in SD? That is how he does it on the right coast. As long as you stand in line and wait while he drwas it, you can get a skecth from him.

If he is doing that, asking someone to stand in line for you for 2-4 hours is really asking a lot (but then everyone's hourly rate differs).
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
3tdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale Saint View Post
I'm not sure how many commissions you've lined up for, but both of these guys command gigantic fanbases, and charge big $$$$$ dollars for their commissions. Asking someone to go out of pocket for that kind of money is asking a lot.
Gabs is more than likely not going to be in SDCC, at least from the sources I've checked with. He's got deadlines for Marvel covers and Batman Europa that will probably keep him on the other side of the pond, at least until 2010 NYCC.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me about you asking for a favor from the board at large, I just thought I'd give you some info, so that you know exactly what you are asking someone to do for you. I've had board mates retrieve commissions for me, but I've always paid them a substantial chunk of cash (50-100 dollars), and paid for the commission ahead of time with the artist directly. Asking someone to go out of pocket for 500-1000 dollars for a relative stranger is requesting a lot...which may explain why no one else has responded to the thread.
As long as it was a trusted forum member, I could send him 1/2 or the total amount ahead of time if he doesn't have the money on hand.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
3tdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Does he not do the "stand in line and get a sketch" in SD? That is how he does it on the right coast. As long as you stand in line and wait while he drwas it, you can get a skecth from him.

If he is doing that, asking someone to stand in line for you for 2-4 hours is really asking a lot (but then everyone's hourly rate differs).
From what I heard, I thought Finch did the "stand in line" type of sketch? Besides, I indicated that he would be compensated for his time & effort.

I guess I'll go the other route & wait until Meredith reopens the commission list.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tdanger View Post
I guess I'll go the other route & wait until Meredith reopens the commission list.
LOL! Finch is at like #14 / 50. Waiting in line is the way to go. Your best chance is to go to the Motor City Con next year where nobody wants to go. You can also try the upcoming FanExpo in Toronto
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tdanger View Post
From what I heard, I thought Finch did the "stand in line" type of sketch? Besides, I indicated that he would be compensated for his time & effort.

No reason to not see if someone will do it for you because even though it is asking a lot, someone might be willing to do it for $25, $50, $100. And also the wait time might be less if the person gets in line early in the day so perhaps they only wait an hour and pocket some nice $$$ from you.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking007 View Post
LOL! Finch is at like #14 / 50. Waiting in line is the way to go. Your best chance is to go to the Motor City Con next year where nobody wants to go. You can also try the upcoming FanExpo in Toronto
#14? Only 19 more to go and I am up!!!