Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Two new commission pieces - Diego Bernard Lady Death after Turner and Campbell

In my continuing quest to come up with homage pieces that artists would be willing to tackle in their own style, I found one Michael Turner image and one J Scott Campbell image that I really enjoyed owning prints of and thought, "Maybe someone can do justice to these layouts with Lady Death as the central character."

So, I found that LD's current interior artist, Diego Bernard, was doing commission work for pretty cheap, and I approached him and his art handler easily enough, and got everything approved without any fuss. But I had randomly heard during a Brian Pulido webcast that Diego is someone he has to constantly stay on top of to make sure he (Brian) gets what he wants, possibly due to the language barrier of Diego living in South America, because otherwise some standard designs or elements that are common for LD might be forgotten. And while that didn't worry me with my commissions, I was actually kinda shocked that there's one specific, basic art error that I immediately saw in one of these pieces that I can't un-see, and it's frustratingly distracting for me =(

Don't get me wrong, both of these pieces are gorgeous and well worth the time (over a year) and effort to get them. But that one flaw Diego made irks me because he made it after altering the original prelim sketches he sent me that we agreed on that he didn't tell me he was changing. I'm sure it could be fixed digitally if I ever get it colored (which is a type of commission I've never done before). But until that happens (if it ever happens), I'm stuck staring at the pencils and being frustrated by it, lol (a hint, it's the JSC piece). But if no one else sees it, then maybe it's jsut my paranoia since I love everything else about that piece...

Anywho, I'll spare the further write up. If anyone's interested, they can read my (standard long) thoughts on my CAF write-ups (shameless plug, lol). But I do love these pieces, and I really think Diego's talent as a Lady Death artist are top tier of all time in this industry =)

After JSC

After MLT

DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
SONICobra
Batman

it would seem they did them justice, these are BEAUTIFUL! congrats!
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I think the pieces look great. I have a Diego piece or two that I got thru his rep (ComiConArt). I felt it went smoothly and I highly recommend them for art. He reps a lot of artists from South America. I still love Ed Benes even though he doesn't seem to be a regular on the scene anymore.

And I don't see any issue with the JSC in terms of missing an "iconic" piece of imagery. The most I see is that it looks like she doesn't have a right arm. There isn't a hint of it at all in the art
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
The most I see is that it looks like she doesn't have a right arm. There isn't a hint of it at all in the art
Bingo =/
Old 02-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Ooooo I thought what was missing was related to Lady Death specific. Yea, ITA that a missing arm is a "basic art error".

I could justify not seeing it if I also couldn't see the outline of her breast and torso. Now I also see she is missing a second nipple.

It's a beautiful piece and I'd love Sideshow to make a JSC Sleeping Beauty statue similar in layout. I'm curious as to what the print looks like that you based your requests on. Can you share?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I think this looks amazing! So much movement and power in it. Great stuff!
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #7
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Great commissions!!
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:39 AM   #8
DiscoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

It's a beautiful piece and I'd love Sideshow to make a JSC Sleeping Beauty statue similar in layout. I'm curious as to what the print looks like that you based your requests on. Can you share?
It's literally the JSC Sleeping Beauty print that I asked this to be based on =)

Diego originally gave me a prelim that pretty much copied the Sleeping Beauty composition exactly, but then he changed the design ever so slightly after we agreed on it without telling me. And that was fine, except he changed it in a way that now there's no way for LD's arm to fit anywhere - especially behind her head like Sleeping Beauty's is.

So, I was thinking maybe he could draw a small right hand around her stomach just above her left hand, under the sheet, so it looks like she's laying on her left arm. But Diego's art handler is saying it'd cost another $75 plus the payment of shipping it back and forth to Diego to draw it, and he lives in South America =/ So I don't know if I should do that or just use the money to pay for a colorist to make a print for me and just add in a hand in that version =/

I do love this Diego art, and that's the only reason why I'm so focused on that damned missing arm, lol