Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #1201
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I may be wrong but I think he felt that listing your academic credentials came off as condescending. While I do not believe that was your intention, I would imagine that someone who does not know you may feel like you're saying that your opinion presents as more informed because of your academic background, otherwise why mention the credentials at all if not to appear as well-read? At least, that's what I think he meant to say.

I will add this - whenever my academic background comes up, it's hit or miss. Some take it in stride while others might think I'm trying to elevate myself above them. Typically, it's neither but I can't control how people think but I can control what I say so I don't bring it up at all unless it's part of the conversation, if that makes any sense.
This is more or less what I was hinting at but didn't want to immediately jump to this conclusion in case I was merely misinterpreting the intention of his post. Which it seems like I did.

I simply find that bringing up academic or career experience around mostly strangers in a written format like a forum is a tricky thing. It's too easy to misinterpret one's intentions as it is in such a format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Well, I apologize if I was condescending. I see this point. I was merely offering a counterpoint that the "sophisticated" reader, of which I believe he was implying he was one, will like Hickman's writing as I think of myself as a sophisticated reader and, again, was making a counterpoint (as a fellow sophisticated reader) to his, as this is one of the purposes of a discussion forum.

In no way did I mean to invalidate someone else's opinion about art. Not even close to my intent.
It's all good, man. While the apology isn't needed the sentiment is appreciated. At least interactions like this help me understand my fellow board members a little better.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #1202
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
It's all good, man. While the apology isn't needed the sentiment is appreciated. At least interactions like this help me understand my fellow board members a little better.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Like I said, Hickman isn't for everyone but I completely disagree with your assessment of his writing.
He certainly isn't and, as you now know, I completely disagree with your assessment of his writing, as well.

Two different opinions. No harm/no foul.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #1203
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Just Preordered Hickman Avengers Omni on Bookdepository. You pay the price when you preorder from there unlike Amazon etc. so it's a done deal.

I can't wait.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #1204
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Anyone picking up Sorcerer Supreme Omni next month? I love Dr. Strange but am unfamiliar with the issues collected in it, can anyone shed some light and/or recommend?
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #1205
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Anyone picking up Sorcerer Supreme Omni next month? I love Dr. Strange but am unfamiliar with the issues collected in it, can anyone shed some light and/or recommend?
Hmmm, hadn't heard of this series but here's the description:

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/do...vol-01-hc.html
Old 06-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #1206
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I think this reprints the series from the 90s. If I remember correctly it started out on the thick baxter paper. I think it came after the Strange Tales that shared with Cloak & Dagger. Only have a few random issues myself, but I would have been much more likely to consider ordering if it had been the series from the 80s.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #1207
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Hmmm, hadn't heard of this series but here's the description:

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/do...vol-01-hc.html
They have the description on Amazon too but it doesn't mean a whole lot to me in terms of what to expect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
I think this reprints the series from the 90s. If I remember correctly it started out on the thick baxter paper. I think it came after the Strange Tales that shared with Cloak & Dagger. Only have a few random issues myself, but I would have been much more likely to consider ordering if it had been the series from the 80s.
I think I heard somewhere it's from the 90's. I just didn't know if anyone has any fond recollection of Dr Strange at the time. I bought the other Strange Omni which had the Strange Tales books from the 60's and enjoyed it enough. I thought maybe this would be just as enjoyable, maybe more so as I prefer at least a little more modern art styles and story telling.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #1208
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

It's certainly a large book. At 40+ issues, it's about 1/3 larger than most Marvel Omnibuses, isn't it?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #1209
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

My Tangled Web of Spider-Man arrived today. It's so thin, Marvelmhas no business charging $100 retail (CGN means not paying retail). Still, now that I have it, really looking forward to reading these great stories.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 AM   #1210
xXx
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Does anyone know if Captain America Return of the Winter Soldier and Trial of Captain America re-issues?
xXx is offline   Reply With Quote