Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #221
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I am going to stop this tangent right here. No way I will agree on putting EVS and Spencer in the same category. I have worked with Spencer multiples times and had lengthy conversations with him and he is extremely fair, upright, and honest. You may not like his selling terms and I know some have called him a bit short and maybe even grouchy but he will give you a square deal every time and you will always know where you stand with him on a transaction.

No comparison
I think it depends on case-by-case situation. Years ago, Spencer was soliciting commissions for an artist (a long time pro), who was in a big financial mess. I thought, oh, okay, i like the art, and have dealt with Spencer in the past, I knew his personality type. So, I ordered the commission, and received a phone call from Spencer. The artist needed money so badly, that he told me the artist would throw in an 11x17 single character piece if I got a money order made out to the artist and overnighted it to the artist. I thought, 'okay, sure.' I told him who I would like and thought all was set up. I went that night and got a money order and overnighted the payment to the artist. The art was supposed to be done pretty quick, and they apparently shipped it out, but got returned because the artist owed too much on his fedex account. Eventually it all got taken care of, and I received the package in the mail. I opened it up, excited for both pieces. Only problem? it was only my original commission, no extra piece. I contacted Spencer asking about it, and he very rudely told me I was wrong, that was never discussed or agreed upon. Since it was on a phone call, I had no 'proof' After that I never dealt with Spencer again, and will not ever again.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #222
MMBORNAGAIN
The Spirit

NOPE!
,He never showed the commissions he said he was doing for me and 2 others and he never refunded me . then he deleted the whole thread off facebook after I told him since art isnt done like you said it would be( for the 30th time) ijust refund me and do other peoples.
yes he deleted the whole thread,
MMBORNAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #223
Spidey62
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I have had a couple different emails with Spencer. I found him a little curt, or so I thought. Then I had a conversation with one of his artists (big name) and he described Spencer as a loyal friend who just has a lot going on. I then met and spoke to Spencer later that weekend and found him to be very nice. My opinion, regarding his business, is that he doesn't have enough help or hours in the day. He reps a lot of artists, maybe more than he can handle. That is my opinion based on limited contact with him.
Spidey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #224
Mfinn123
Hydra

Guys, Spencer is as honest as the day is long - he is a great guy in my book and I count him as a friend. As for EVS, he has taken money from so many people that I'm quite confident law enforcement would view it as a fraud. Ask for your refund and it that fails, consider a discussion with law enforcement. They do not like people making false promises and taking money. Turns out if you do it in massive volume, it is often a crime.
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #225
Mfinn123
Hydra

First, you should politely and firmly ask for a refund and do so in writing.
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #226
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfinn123 View Post
As for EVS, he has taken money from so many people that I'm quite confident law enforcement would view it as a fraud. Ask for your refund and it that fails, consider a discussion with law enforcement. They do not like people making false promises and taking money. Turns out if you do it in massive volume, it is often a crime.
I hope that it doesn't come to this, for the sake of everyone involved. I commission a lot (so do many in this group), and I am not aware of any commissioning scenario that resulted in the involvement of law enforcement.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #227
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

imo people that are fed up with this should consider doing a 'commissions and be damned' article for bleeding cool. you'll get a much wider audience of readers than just the few statue forumites and may actually get ethan's attention that way.

its pretty easy to contact rich or hannah via their website but if you need their emails, pm me.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #228
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

and followup that article with a classic confrontation at one of the many shows he attends and then detail all of it with pictures for bleeding cool like ethan did with his granito encounter.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/...t-rob-granito/
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #229
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I had forgotten about EVS confronting Granito. I remember finding it ironic that he would take up the charge on Granito with all his detractors about failed commissions … and after recalling the story it still strikes me as peculiar that he would take up the charge of other artists and collectors in the Granito case and 4+ years later still has many unhappy collectors knocking at his door. I really struggle with these situations because I want to believe the best in people and I am all for second chances but at some point you have to move from patience to more action. If you have entered into a commission and paid and are waiting for years, you have to consider action outside of what you have done to date with no results. Is that a BC article, looking into legal recourse, or something else … only you can decide.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #230
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1977 View Post
I think it depends on case-by-case situation. Years ago, Spencer was soliciting commissions for an artist (a long time pro), who was in a big financial mess. I thought, oh, okay, i like the art, and have dealt with Spencer in the past, I knew his personality type. So, I ordered the commission, and received a phone call from Spencer. The artist needed money so badly, that he told me the artist would throw in an 11x17 single character piece if I got a money order made out to the artist and overnighted it to the artist. I thought, 'okay, sure.' I told him who I would like and thought all was set up. I went that night and got a money order and overnighted the payment to the artist. The art was supposed to be done pretty quick, and they apparently shipped it out, but got returned because the artist owed too much on his fedex account. Eventually it all got taken care of, and I received the package in the mail. I opened it up, excited for both pieces. Only problem? it was only my original commission, no extra piece. I contacted Spencer asking about it, and he very rudely told me I was wrong, that was never discussed or agreed upon. Since it was on a phone call, I had no 'proof' After that I never dealt with Spencer again, and will not ever again.
Hmmm, I obviously don’t know the story but something sounds amiss as this stands in stark contrast to my experiences with Spencer.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote