Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 04-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #321
NYC Joker
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
True. They seem to sell out within a few hours through JND but we have no idea how many pieces they reserve for their site and other retailers seem to get quite a few. I believe BBTS and a few other US retailers got at least 20 each and those take a few weeks to sell out, likely due to the high price. Definitely not an impulse purchase for most.
But they do sell out. You don’t need to impulse buy, but it’s not as if you can wait six months and get it thereafter. I’m just glad JND exists for people like me and others who really want a super high-end product.
NYC Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #322
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Joker View Post
But they do sell out. You don’t need to impulse buy, but it’s not as if you can wait six months and get it thereafter. I’m just glad JND exists for people like me and others who really want a super high-end product.
Absolutely! I can tell you now, after taking the plunge - I'm literally sitting here looking at my other pieces and thinking...."what now?"

I mean, do you park a Ferrari in a garage full of Dacia / Ford's? So I need to do something to upscale my other pieces or sell them

1st world problems
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #323
French Cancan
Deadman

Easy solution for that problem: park your Ferrari in a garage, and your Dacia in another one.
I am glad having an eclectic collection where you can find dragons, Batman's and pretty ladies. Right now I just have two pieces that are movie related, and yes, I could imagine them "upgraded" thanks to silicone. But silicone dragons? Silicone comics Batman or WW? To look like who? What would be the point?
Just create a silicone department in your collection with a decompression/decontamination/security lock. Easy!
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #324
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:

...JND has sold me on their quality presentation and packaging as well. I get pretty frustrated paying $1k+ for a statue and having it show up in a white styrofoam clamshell that’s all taped up. XM is also great at this....
Yes, I even use an XM box as a chair.
But you have to pay for these beautiful boxes. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind paying my statue $200 less, and only having a brown box, as long as it’s well packed. As one of our poets says: Qu'importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse...
Literaly translated into English, it gives:
Never mind the bottle, as long as we get drunk... Well it's nicer and more subtile in French, but you get the idea... I guess...
Old 04-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #325
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
I am glad having an eclectic collection where you can find dragons, Batman's and pretty ladies.
I agree, there's nothing wrong with having a collection based on varied topics.

My collection is not so eclectic, everything I have is tending towards "realism".....but obviously some pieces get there, others die trying.

I'm not talking exclusively about silicone by the way......believe it or not, for me, its not the be all end all, if you want "ultra realism". I think, to achieve that you need to primarily consider the paint apps. The issue, is that mass produced (predominantly polystone) statues are not painted by master painters....so most of these pieces will NEVER be ultra realistic.

I have the Rebel Terminator from Sideshow......I think, under the paint is a really nice sculpt. If it could be unlocked, it could sit nicely with the silicone products.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #326
French Cancan
Deadman

Ok, I understand. Realistic sculptures are the ones that fascinate me the most. Bronzes, resin, carved in wood or stone, whatever, since you follow the sexy creatures thread, you see what i mean, I would love so much having just one of these works in my collection.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #327
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
Ok, I understand. Realistic sculptures are the ones that fascinate me the most. Bronzes, resin, carved in wood or stone, whatever, since you follow the sexy creatures thread, you see what i mean, I would love so much having just one of these works in my collection.
I see people half-jokingly refer to the silicone stuff as advanced collecting, or as a sign that they're evolving as a collector.

For me the evolution will be complete when I break away from licensed pop culture properties and put serious money towards something that's pure art.

Some of the figure work in the sexy creatures thread, especially the work by Javier Malavia, are things I'm aspiring to own someday. I can already envision a point where the movie and comic stuff won't continue to resonate as much with me as it has in the past.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #328
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I see people half-jokingly refer to the silicone stuff as advanced collecting, or as a sign that they're evolving as a collector.

For me the evolution will be complete when I break away from licensed pop culture properties and put serious money towards something that's pure art.

Some of the figure work in the sexy creatures thread, especially the work by Javier Malavia, are things I'm aspiring to own someday. I can already envision a point where the movie and comic stuff won't continue to resonate as much with me as it has in the past.
I agree. In my opinion, we cross the line when we stop buying mass produced, mass market products. As great as JND might appear.....let's keep it real, they're still regurgitating the same old characters from the same tired franchises.....cash cows, if you will. The only benefit....these are movie related, which allows them to showcase what they can do in terms of realism.

I'd love to see artists take this approach with one off designs for original characters. For me, wood, bronze or marble doesn't equal art (necessarily) - it's more the exclusivity, the individuality, and the craft of the artist(s) who work on the piece.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #329
chronos1919
Nightwing

For me it’s about owning a piece of the movie. I love films so I enjoy having physical representations of film characters. The more accurate the better. I’m not looking to evolve as a human being, just to collect and display things that make me happy. Whether they cost $5 or $5,000.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #330
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
For me it’s about owning a piece of the movie. I love films so I enjoy having physical representations of film characters. The more accurate the better. I’m not looking to evolve as a human being, just to collect and display things that make me happy. Whether they cost $5 or $5,000.

Honestly part of me couldn’t care less about the ‘art’ itself.

What I want is accuracy to a film I love and or respect for its story and characters.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote