Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
komodo112
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

A Question for both Cat AND Statue Owners

I was at Petsmart earlier and I saw a cat with one eye. It was a rescue and I felt connected to it. My family always had dogs and I never had a cat before so I was thinking of adopting him. Figured he went through enough and he deserves a place where he could be loved.

Thing is, I live alone in a my little 'bachelor pad.' Complete with an array various electronic devices, leather furniture, and a small, humble, but expensive statue collection exposed.

A preview of what they are stored in:

Would I be able to pull it off? Or would I need to pass.

The thought of a broken statue or worse yet, a hurt kitty is the reason of my setback.

Thanks
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Spazzy
Hercules

ooh tough one, I owned cats before, but it took time to get them house trained, they can be stubborn, especially if the cat is older. You may need to upgrade your cabinet just to be safe, something with glass doors.

And depending if the cat has claws or not, I would worry about the couch, they love sharpening their claws on them, but you could always get scratching posts/and there are other things.

Good luck to you, and I hope things work out, I can't go to a pet store or pound without wanting to adopt one, I have a weak spot for animals. And don't get me started on the commericals.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
komodo112
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks Spazzy.

I'm the same way with pet stores and the commercials. I donate to the SPCA on every month
on a recurring plan because of the Sarah McLachlan
Commercials and can't stand most pet stores because if I don't see a cushion on the animal's cage, I get majorly pissed off.

I can watch the worst horror movies and laugh, even if there are kids in it sadly. But if its an animal, my defenses brake like rice paper.

As for the statues, they used to be in a detoulf till a little accident when the statues were rearranged resulted in broken pieces.. The ones on the picture are my favorites so I put them on some industrial strength shelf that is meant for garages said to support a 1,000 lbs. Doubt there is a glass case to support that.

The more I see it, the more I don't think a cat may be the best idea for a place like mine.

I definitely have the love to give it, but not sure my place is best suited
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
greatwall
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?
Adamantium Plus Member

Send Fremen an pm. Her house is full of statues and she had a few cats. She might be able to give you her opinion.
greatwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
iceprince_x
Deadman

exposed statues and cats don't mix well.
i have 3 tom cats that are just turning one year old this year and they love to stay on top of my entertainment cabinet knocking all of my decor on top... so I have to move all of my knick knacks someplace else.

cats have a natural instinct of climbing up and going into in between stuff. A glass cabinet is good enough for the statue to be safe... now with the other stuff... you have to make sure they are organized otherwise....it will be an instant playground.

i hope things will work for you and your final decision. Cats are really adorable pets
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
cloakndagger
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

cat vs statue

Hello!

It is obvious that no matter how strong our statues characters is, in real life they are no match vs our furry friends :-)
I have 3 cats at home that I have since they are born. Even if I am able to tell them not to go to some places, every now and then I will catch them being there and they will run off like a rocket knowing they did something wrong.
My trick is to purchase plexiglass plates and protect the shelves that don’t have glasses. I have them cutted at the exact right size so It is really quick to set them up or even to glue them together.
I find it not only assuring for my cats but it also protect the statue from ALL dusts!

cloakndagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
iceprince_x
Deadman

nice pic cloakndagger... gives me ideas also for my statues.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Ex-Parrot
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

As a cat owner I'd be more worried about the leather couch than the statues. Never had a problem with any of my cats over the years as far as my statues and such go.

Even cats that go where they shouldn't tend to be pretty agile and light on their feet, so in my personal experience I haven't had to worry at all about breakage. And I have a lot of breakable stuff. But most cats are anything but clumsy unless they are startled or scared or whatever... This is even more true if you have a lot of bigger/heavier pieces. I mean I can't see a cat, under normal circumstances, knocking over a PF or the like, unless it is a really poorly balanced piece.

Besides, a cat will learn pretty quickly where it is and isn't allowed, and while some might be more stubborn than others, it isn't usually that big a deal. If you are worried though, get some plexi, as suggested above.

Another thing to consider is that just like people, all cats are different, and have their own personalities, so while the advice and experience of others can give you an idea, you're not really going to know what a particular cat is like until you get to know that cat personally.

I love my statues, collecting them is my passion, but at the end of the day statues are still just stuff, and if my house was burning down the first thing I'd grab would be my cat. They may not be perfect (neither am I), but in the long run they're worth the effort.
Ex-Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

This is a very cool thread lol.. I have 2 siamese but I have all my statues behind glass cabinets. I have had no problems with them except when we introduced the 2nd cat, at first there was a bit of "territory marking" going on (beleive me i was thankful I'd invested in a cabinet! - the place they chose!), so had to spend a week or 2 training them that was not on, and then it was all fine again. I noticed though that the few times I have accidentally left something out, they are very aware and respectful not to go near it, and if it is in their path carefully go around it it.. They're really sensitive animals and their personalities are great Although Jerry from pop culture shock mentioned he has a 20lb cat which likes to rub up against his statues, lol depends on the cat i suppose much like parrot said..

the only thing that bothers me with cats is getting hair on nice clothes.. but I don't find hair on anything else around the house.. obviously its only if they spend long periods of time laying on u etc.. though I am used to it
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

This is a good thread, and I love the fact you are thinking of adopting the kitty with one eye. I have three cats and love them so much.

I just keep my statues either in cabinets with glass doors, or the few that are just out on a dresser, are in a spare bedroom to where I keep the door closed. The kitties can go anywhere beyond that room.

I would say, having to make some small change like that is totally worth adopting the cute guy and giving him/her a good place to live!

I totally applaud this thread, and like you, feel meh about children, but love my kitties with all my heart.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote