Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Auto Shop

Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Car Buying Advice Free...Tips Gladly Accepted

Hey guys. Since I have been in the car business for over 15 years, I think I know what I am talking about when it comes to giving advice on what a car is worth and I could give some good advice if anyone is interested. Buying a car is the second biggest investment in most peoples lives. Feel free to post something on this thread or send me a PM if you have any questions about buying or selling a car. Or if you want to know what the NADA value or Black Book value of a car is. I can also give you what I think a fair trade difference on any given car.

Over the years I have received much advice on things that I am not that well versed in. My time to give back. And if I can save you a grand on your next car purchase, you can always send me that Bowen Red Hulk statue I have been wanting
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

My wife and I are thinking about buying a new car and we're leaning towards a crossover. The Buick Enclave and the Mazda CX-9 both look good and can hold 6-7 passangers. The Buick runs a little higher, but we'll be looking at 2010's, so hopefully we'll find a deal.

Any one have any experience w/ Crossovers. Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
sellin71

Hey I finally got a hit.

It is a huge coincedence that you picked out those two crossovers. Those are the exact two that my wife and I are choosing between.

Here is my two cents. Having worked for a new GM franchise for many years as a General Sales Manager I lean towards the Buick. In my opinion it rides better and I like the features better. Here is the bad news. They are having trouble with the timing chains stretching, with an end result of ruining the engine. My old dealership has already replaced seven engines. They do have a 5 yr 100000 mile powertrain warranty and if you heed the check engine light you can prevent the damage before it is done. Sadly many people just keep driving when the light comes on. Sometimes it is something trivial and others it is something very serious.

The Mazda CX9 is another awesome choice that I have not heard anything negative about other that a few blind spots. It is much cheaper than the Enclave and for that reason I am leaning towards it. My wife on the other hand is sold on the styling of the Enclave. If I had to bet money, there will be a Buick in our drive in a couple of weeks.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions just pm me.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

You were so kind to respond. My wife and I both read your post and found it very helpful. Leaning towads the mazda on our (her) end. Thanks & I'll probably be back w/ a few more questions.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Ok, here's one for you. I need to find information for my office to lease two small SUVs. These are for a contract that's going to last about 1.5 years, so we're looking for a 2 year lease overall. We don't want anything fancy, 4 cylinders are ok, don't need Nav/Blue tooth, would like some form of full time all wheel drive (no part time systems).

I've been researching the Nissan Rogue, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson and Subaru Forester (I know, not really an SUV).

Price is a big consideration since my company is potentially going to be stuck paying out the leases on these for the last 6 months since the contract isn't supposed to last the entire 2 years.

Any recommendations on any of these, or something I haven't mentioned?
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
sellin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Ok, here's one for you. I need to find information for my office to lease two small SUVs. These are for a contract that's going to last about 1.5 years, so we're looking for a 2 year lease overall. We don't want anything fancy, 4 cylinders are ok, don't need Nav/Blue tooth, would like some form of full time all wheel drive (no part time systems).

I've been researching the Nissan Rogue, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson and Subaru Forester (I know, not really an SUV).

Price is a big consideration since my company is potentially going to be stuck paying out the leases on these for the last 6 months since the contract isn't supposed to last the entire 2 years.

Any recommendations on any of these, or something I haven't mentioned?

Leases are totally different animals. When thinking about a lease you have to think about things in a much different way.

First lets discuss the length of the lease. You can get an 18 month lease. Alot of people think that you have to take, let's say, Honda's lease plan with Honda Financial if you choose a CVR. When in fact most major banks will lease you a vehicle, it will be more leg work but it could be very benifical to check several different finance sources instead of just jumping on the automakers cash cow.

The most important part in determining the overall cost of the lease is the vehicles residual value. Or in other words the predetermined value of the vehicle at the end of the term. Residual values will be shown as a percent of the original selling price. The higher the residual value (in % terms) usually means a lower lease payment.

Historically Hondas, Toyotas, and Suburus will have a higher residual over the domestics. Hyundai has really been coming on strong the past few years and may have some good subsidized lease plans.

To me the least important thing in leasing a vehicle, especially for such a short term, is long term dependability. Almost all cars made will be great performers for the first two years. Who cares if they break down after that, not your problem.

Of the vehicles you listed I like the CRV the best. The Forester is a close second.

Oh yea, you can't go by the advertised lease payments on tv, they usually don't apply to you.I(Or anybody I ever met)
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
sellin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You were so kind to respond. My wife and I both read your post and found it very helpful. Leaning towads the mazda on our (her) end. Thanks & I'll probably be back w/ a few more questions.
Anytime, one of my best friends runs the Mazda dealership down the road. He can give me the straight scoop on price or any other questions you may have. Just let me know.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Galactus - Insight of the Subaru. I've been driving the Outback for the past 9 years (100+ thou miles now) and I've loved every minute of it. I've only just now started having problems w/ her and she just hit 110 thou. I'd buy another in a heartbeat but my family has grown and they don't make a 6 passenger that's in my price range. I will go back to Subaru as soon as my kids have flown the coop.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Thanks!
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Jesse321
Galactus

I've been thinking of upgrading my 2005 Toyota Rav4 to an new 2011 Toyota Rav4. While I was at the dealership for some scheduled maintenance, I got the idea to have them appraise the car, they told me they would give me 6000.00 for it ... after which I took the car to CarMax and they offered me 6500.00 to buy it.

I'm looking online at Kelley Blue Book and it says (with my specs and mileage that my car is worth 7050.00 in fair condition and upwards of 8000.00 in good condition.

I also looked on Cars.com and found 2 Ravs in similar conditions and mileage (actually they both had 2000 miles more than mine) with about the same options (again mine has more) withing 20 miles of me selling for just a hair under 10K.

I realize that the dealership needs to make money in buying/selling my car, but I can't help thinking either I'm getting a bit hosed here or there's a lot of misinformation on the net.

Also on Kelley Blue Book, "fair market price" for the car that I want with the options that I want is about 2k to 3K less that what the dealer is willing to work with me on.

The good thing is that they have a 0% interest for 36 months, and as little as 1.9% for up to 60 months ... and I have a good enough (actually better than) credit rating and history with Toyota Finance to pull it off.

But I'm thinking that since were so close to the end of the year, should I wait and see if I can get a better deal even closer or would it make a difference at this point?

Any advice that you might be able to offer would be great.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote