Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #101
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Can somebody please share with me why Akuma is so popular? Honestly wondering. No, I'm not CBG
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #102
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
Can somebody please share with me why Akuma is so popular? Honestly wondering. No, I'm not CBG
Because he's basically the Darth Vader of Street Fighter. (With the exception that he IS NOT Ryu's father)

He's the Dark Master. He's the main foil to the Uber popular Ryu.

The light and the dark man. People love to root for the Edgy Anti Hero. (Akuma isn't really a bad guy)
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #103
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
Because he's basically the Darth Vader of Street Fighter. (With the exception that he IS NOT Ryu's father)

He's the Dark Master. He's the main foil to the Uber popular Ryu.

The light and the dark man. People love to root for the Edgy Anti Hero. (Akuma isn't really a bad guy)
Plus you kind of have to go way back to the early days of Street Fighter 2 when the term "you must defeat sheng long to stand a chance" was misinterpreted and all sorts of rumours started about Ryu's master and then later the idea that there was a secret character.

Finally Capcom included a secret boss in Super Street Fighter 2. This was back in the day when there really was no such thing as anything secret in a game (of any significance). It was incredibly exciting. That secret boss was Akuma, and he looked extraordinary for the time, plus he had crazy moves like air fireballs and the raging demon (a move that's secret because you can't see him execute it). Etc, etc.

To unlock him you had to get through the single player game with no continues (maybe not losing a round....I can't remember). So it was a rare feat to do or see. And when you did it you felt like you earned it. Again makig Akuma special to the player and creating even more rumours.
And you had to see it live in an arcade - no internet/googling. It was a special event to catch a glimpse of Akuma.

Sorry this is a half assed explanation.

Joppula can do a much better job at explaining the evolution of the game and the characters, and indeed the scene.
But the introduction of Akuma was riding a wave of excitement and expectation that is difficult to explain unless you were there.
BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #104
SARFARAZ
I like Chicken Wings
Super Moderator

Plus he looks badass

Although, saying he isn't really a bad guy would be pushing it a little. I mean he's not evil like bison, but no matter who you are, Akuma would never show you mercy. Plus he killed his own master and brother. Well gouken is alive, but he tried. The satsui no hadou is an evil form after all. Akuma definitely isn't a good guy. More bad than good. All he's ever wanted is to find someone worthy to fight him.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #105
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

As "Akuma", I wouldn't really say he is evil. I'd liken him to Raoh from Fist of the North Star. He believes his way is absolutely right, and pushes that to the limit. He still has honor as "Akuma".

Now, when he changes into "Shin Akuma" and certainly "Oni", he's definitely given up on anything "good". His humanity is gone at that point.
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #106
SARFARAZ
I like Chicken Wings
Super Moderator

End of the day capcom would put him into the villains category of street fighter. And he honestly lost his humanity the day he became Akuma and let the satsui no hadou consume him.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #107
Joppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARFARAZ View Post
Plus he looks badass

Although, saying he isn't really a bad guy would be pushing it a little. I mean he's not evil like bison, but no matter who you are, Akuma would never show you mercy. Plus he killed his own master and brother. Well gouken is alive, but he tried. The satsui no hadou is an evil form after all. Akuma definitely isn't a good guy. More bad than good. All he's ever wanted is to find someone worthy to fight him.
I'm really surprised at your description of Akuma Sarf. It's accurate of ONI. But as far as Akuma goes, I'm not so sure.

He has shown Mercy. He refused to fight Gen once he detected Gen was terminally sick.

Akuma has no interest in fighting or hurting anyone he deems not worthy to challenge him/potentially beat him.

That's the way of a warrior. Not an evil tyrant.

And to say "he gave up his humanity when he became Akuma" is also largely inaccurate.

He was born Akuma. And his personality Pre Satsui No Hado was nearly identical to his personality after giving into the dark art.

I consider Akuma a neutral character. Not good, not evil, but a force of nature.

I think your description fits ONI perfectly. ONI has given up his humanity (Akuma) to become the demon. "Evil Incarnate".

ONI is a "Bad Guy". Akuma just wants to fight.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #108
Joppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
As "Akuma", I wouldn't really say he is evil. I'd liken him to Raoh from Fist of the North Star. He believes his way is absolutely right, and pushes that to the limit. He still has honor as "Akuma".

Now, when he changes into "Shin Akuma" and certainly "Oni", he's definitely given up on anything "good". His humanity is gone at that point.
I like this. Likening him to Raoh is a great description of the character.

As the fans we kind of have to sift through the canon and attempt to decide what the creators intended for these characters.

Recently Disney portrayed Zangief as a "Bad Guy" or Video Game villain in their movie Wreck it Ralph. And while I loved the movie, Zangief is by NO stretch of the imagination a "Bad Guy".

He fights for the pride of his country. He fights to show the strength of Russian Wrestling. He fights for his fans (small children!).

My point: Sometimes people lose the characters true motivation, and get wrapped up in the characters appearance.

Zangief is a giant, hairy Russian with scars and a Mohawk. He must be evil right? Wrong.

Same could be said for Akuma to a degree. Does he look the part of a bloodthirsty killer? Yes.

Is bloodthirsty killing his intent? No.

IMO, Akuma is a master of a Dark Style of assassination martial arts. He only wishes to test his skill against the strongest opponents.

Balrog (Boxer) is more "Evil" than Akuma. Now that's a mean and nasty dude
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #109
SARFARAZ
I like Chicken Wings
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
I'm really surprised at your description of Akuma Sarf. It's accurate of ONI. But as far as Akuma goes, I'm not so sure.

He has shown Mercy. He refused to fight Gen once he detected Gen was terminally sick.

Akuma has no interest in fighting or hurting anyone he deems not worthy to challenge him/potentially beat him.

That's the way of a warrior. Not an evil tyrant.

And to say "he gave up his humanity when he became Akuma" is also largely inaccurate.

He was born Akuma. And his personality Pre Satsui No Hado was nearly identical to his personality after giving into the dark art.

I consider Akuma a neutral character. Not good, not evil, but a force of nature.

I think your description fits ONI perfectly. ONI has given up his humanity (Akuma) to become the demon. "Evil Incarnate".

ONI is a "Bad Guy". Akuma just wants to fight.
I'm not saying he is evil, but he isn't good either, so yeah maybe neutral. But the satsui no hadou is an evil form with the intent to kill. Gouken and Gotetsu pleaded with him not to go down that path and knowing that, he still did.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #110
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Love this conversation. I'm not sure what the answer is.

It's true he has no aspirations to harm the average person. Or indeed any interest in taking over the world or whatever.

BUT, I would say this.
He finds people to fight and he KILLS them. He has no mercy. Maybe that fighter does not want to fight.
If I remember right...and I might not be remembering this right....Gouken did not want to fight. Certainly not to the death.
That was murder......albeit now reversed in SF4 because he survived.....
(correct me if I'm wrong)

A true warrior should defeat his opponent and not always feel the desire to murder them. Akuma is all about murdering opponents.

He didn't fight Gen because he knew the victory would be a hollow defeat knowing the man was sick. Not because he felt sorry for him. Just that the victory would be meaningless. In that sense it was selfish motivations for not fighting.

I guess it all depends how you define evil. Semantics if you like...he has his own moral code / honor, but I would say it's a pretty fcked up way of seeing the world.
BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote