Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #61
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Hey Alex

I understand your frustration - I've been kicked in the guts by cancellations from all three cons in the past (although admittedly comic artist cancellations are usually extremely rare - the only one I can think of recently is Kevin Eastman at Armageddon last year) - but I think you're being a little unfair on Royd here. Yes, he is the "face" of Supanova on these boards, but he is simply doing a job for the organisers as the liaison between the comic guests and the con.

I agree that there should be an announcement on the website, but this is the responsibility of the organisers and none of the three cons seem to be particularly good at this - they all need to learn that not everyone has access to (or interest in using) social media.

In terms of the choice of guests, this is of course influenced by availability but also by who the organisers consider to be a "big name" in the industry. Of course Royd is going to have some influence (look at how long he's tried to get Adam over!), but the buck stops with the organisers. I'm sure there are talented "middle-upper tier" comic guests who Royd has tried to get but the powers that be didn't consider them enough of a drawcard. This can in turn bite the organisers on the ass because as we well know, some of the better-known artists do not sketch at conventions, which for our community is the main draw in the first place.

My understanding from Royd's previous post was that the $200 price tag was for full body sketches. Hopefully I didn't misinterpret.

TL;DR The situation is disappointing, but I don't think blame should be heaped on Royd, who is just doing a job. I consider you both to be good mates, and I'd hate to see your relationship sour because of this.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #62
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Really Read my comment
Know all the facts
Then comment thanks
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #63
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hi Alex,

Firstly, we've been friends for some years now so I hope you know that I posted not knowing that you had already expended money on airfares, hotels, tickets etc.

It's not okay and, as a friend, I wish I could make amends - I've been faced with similar situations in the past and know how you feel. I'm truly sorry you're upset about these circumstances which are out of my control.

We didn't sit on the very recent information about Adam's cancellation and posted as quickly as we could to the Facebook page. I apologise that the website wasn't showing Adam as a cancelled guest - thanks for letting me know, I've just asked for his page to be moved to that section.

"Roydnova" is hardly fair and I think your later (dismissive?) comment about IDW and their activities shows that I am trying to get different guests to appeal to a wide range of fans (ie the budding creators and aspiring artists in our community).

I mentioned that Alan Davis was a fave of mine but I made it in the belief that my liking for his work was shared by others. Alan is charging around $200 for full figure pieces in pencil and many of the pieces I've seen looked pretty good.

As for an Alan Davis Shanna, I didn't have much success in getting a Jim Cheung Shanna or a Mike McKone Shanna (although I did see the pencils for Mike's) but that's totally cool because I'll have something to look forward to

As for sycophants, I believe (present tense) that we're all pretty good mates here and, if we have differing opionions, can get past those to enjoy each others company and share in our liking for a mutual hobby!

I'm just another fan who happens to work for one of the conventions and who tries to do the best he can - unfortunately, I'm never going to be able to please everyone all the time

Please give me a call if you want to chat. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Dear Royd

im glad youre now planning for 2015 i was planning for 2014 and already spent airline and hotel tickets but thats OK isnt it

I note that yesterday when i purchased one of these that there was NO announcement on the webpage for "supa"nova guests cancellation

and the "for me" quote doesnt help- i feel its the roydnova with that comment - cause i thought you said you were trying to get people for an array of different types of collectors/fans etc
Ive seen Alan Davis head sketches and not impressed with 200 price tag if thats for head sketches (yes i own one) but we will see
hopefully Paul Ryan has room on his list.

maybe ill get MLP comic signed by the editors or try my hand at stick figure drawing and get a cover opportunity at IDW

looking forward at least to seeing an Alan Davis Shanna

let the sycophants reply

very upset

Alex
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #64
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Not going to turn this into a 5 page debate or argument
Never blamed you for actual cancellation
Read my comments
Some of them are fairer than most would understand
Ill leave it at that
Ill survive but expected better responses thus my post
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #65
Royd
Producer
Producer

I'll also leave it there other than to say that my last post was to apologise and explain in response to the concerns expressed in your post.

As far as I could see, you enjoyed your interaction with the Supanova Melbourne guests and I hope we can repeat that experience for you again in the future

Last edited by Royd; 05-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #66
Rocket
Art of Mod

I read these posts and I was going to just keep my head in my shell, but then I came to a realization. We are all great mates here, and if we can't have an open and honest dialogue between mates, maybe we aren't as close as I thought we all are.

That said, like Alex, I also have paid for flights, accomodation, hire car, con tickets, etc for the Sydnova con. Now granted my decision wasnt based solely on Adam's attendance, something INFINITELY greater was.

When Adam was announced as a guest of Supanova, Alex and I made the monumental decision to cancel our planned trip to the America to attend HeroesCon which was on the same weekend. We had to not only drastically change our own plans, but also those of the many friends in the US we had planned to travel with, and meet up with, at the con. We had to rearrange and in some cases, cancel precon setups, I personally had to pass on the opportunity to set up a grail Art Adams piece because I would no longer be able to attend the con.

Now obviously NONE of this is Royd's fault.

It's deflating, it's disappointing, it's a lot of things, and to be honest, in some ways, the frustration is enhanced by a large number of similar situation across various cons in recent time.

There's something I feel the need to comment on here though.
The notion that Royd isn't inviting people who are either a) personal friends of his that he is essentially getting a free vacation with the potential for revenue inducing perks

and b) inviting people he has a vested interest in obtaining art from for his own collection, is grossly naive.

I'm sorry but I know I'm not the only one, I can think of at least five other Aussie art collectors, who have spoken of an awareness that Royd 's motivations for the guests he invites usually have ulterior motives.

Royd actually spoke towards this in his recent discussions with Terence where he mentioned that he invites people HE would like to come to Australia.

If my mentioning this comes off as attacking or as a strictly negative thing, I apologise, that is not my intention. Do I think it is a flawed methodology? Absolutely. I think the guests invited shouldn't be "mates" or "targets" but should be crowd pleasing names, whether it's Stan Lee for the celebrity factor, or Phil Jimenez for sketching all day long for free. I dont believe a guest should receive an invitation because one individual would greatly like a piece of original art from that person. Again, I dont believe this is Royds sole motivation, but he himself has admitted it weighs heavily, and often tells us about his mates who he extended an invite too.

Have I been the beneficiary of both Royd's invitations AND him setting up pre con lists? ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY.

My Dave Gibbons piece, alongside my Dodson, is the most important, cherished piece I have ever and will ever own, and Royd is the ONLY reason I have it and that is something I can never fully repay him for. I'm not attacking Royd, I'm simply pointing out that anyone who says he doesnt invite guests he can benefit from is at best deluded, and at worst a liar.

Last edited by Rocket; 05-08-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #67
Rocket
Art of Mod

I should add, my comments are not directed at anyone in particular, but I do sense a general vibe amongst a few of us that I felt needed pointing out

Also I know some people have been reticent to make the sort of comments I have today through a "fear" that it would compromise any future pre con lists or "preferential treatment" that Royd may be the bearer of. I have faith that this is NOT the sort of person Royd is and our friendship remains the same as it always has.

I hope

Last edited by Rocket; 05-08-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 AM   #68
Royd
Producer
Producer

No offence taken at all Rod

Yes, I do tend to ask creators (usually artists because that's what drives me but I have also asked writers) whom I know personally or whom I would like to meet and bring down to attend the Supanova shows. However, in my defence (?), most of those creators are well known and and liked by other fans so I figure it's a win/win

I've been collecting comics for over 40 years and original comic art for nearly 30 years and attending cons since '94 so I (think I) have some idea of what will appeal to both me and hopefully other fans. During that time, I've made many friendships with talented creators around the globe and I naturally tend to invite some of them to the shows. I also listen to my friends here at the SF boards and have invited some of the names suggested to me by them.

Prior to any Supanova tour, I put forward a list of possible guests to Daniel and Tim and we go back and forward until we've settled on whom we'd like to invite. I then extend the invitations but the final list may be a little different due to the fact that some of the guests are unavailable.

I know that the other shows operate similarly in that the principals invite artists/writers whose work they enjoy and whom they believe will attract fans to the show to see them.

More recently, I put forward the idea to Daniel to invite some of the publishers down to Supanova to appeal to a different part of the comic collecting/creating fanbase. The IDW principals are the first of the publishers to attend and I'm hoping to replicate that with other publishers at future expos.

I can barely draw stick figures and my writing ability is restricted to work reports so I have no personal stake by inviting the publishers to attend but...... I do know local creators are very excited about having the (rare) opportunity to put their work before an industry professional with the chance of a gig.

Rod, you're aware of some of the creators who were slated to appear this year but who had to withdraw (before being announced) with the intention of attending in 2015. They are amongst some of the most popular talent today and I'm confident you guys will enjoy meeting them
Old 05-08-2014, 03:13 AM   #69
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey, I just passed 4000 posts!!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #70
Royd
Producer
Producer

Actually one thing I didn't respond to is my motivation in relation to scoring artwork. I haven't had much success lately - haha!

My budget isn't that large that I can afford sketches and other original artwork from most or even more than one or two of the guests per tour. I didn't get anything until the day after the April tour when I bought an original ($250.00) page from Jim Cheung (no discounts or gifts if anyone thought that). That was my sole acquisition for the 2 city tour.

I tried to arrange 2 sketches without success so I'm not having much luck and I had a similar lack of success at shows last year But that's cool because I know patience leads to success and after 30 years of collecting artwork things eventually fall into place.

Last edited by Royd; 05-08-2014 at 03:35 AM.