Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #3611
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

The bottom line - the prototype pictures are just a whole different level of studio photography. They were even using colored gels to help dramatize the piece. The production shoot is the exact opposite. Its front lit so heavily that it would kill any texture even if there was some. So not only does the prototype have the advantage of being produced by the best artists Sideshow has working for them, but it also has the benefit of a quality photography shoot to help show it off and again, we basically got the exact opposite with the production pics.

Honestly, even if the production piece had 100% lived up to the prototype, it still would have looked inferior in these shots. Just a very poor choice on Sideshow's part to go with these production pics.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #3612
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
The bottom line - the prototype pictures are just a whole different level of studio photography. They were even using colored gels to help dramatize the piece. The production shoot is the exact opposite. Its front lit so heavily that it would kill any texture even if there was some. So not only does the prototype have the advantage of being produced by the best artists Sideshow has working for them, but it also has the benefit of a quality photography shoot to help show it off and again, we basically got the exact opposite with the production pics.

Honestly, even if the production piece had 100% lived up to the prototype, it still would have looked inferior in these shots.
You are making too much sense. In other words Sideshow QC sucks!! XM and Prime 1 have a 100% track record and Sideshow should be ashamed
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #3613
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
You are making too much sense. In other words Sideshow QC sucks!! XM and Prime 1 have a 100% track record and Sideshow should be ashamed
Sideshow shouldn't be ashamed, but the photographer definitely should. And it was a poor choice on Sideshow's part not to reshoot it after seeing these pics.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #3614
Hokuto
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

thanks, I'm still 50-50
Hokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #3615
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Which makes me wonder if they expected in hand complaints. They do have a couple stylized Red Sonja production photos, but most are heavily lit. I just spent 5 minutes in Photoshop on one of the heavily lit photos.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Sideshow was expecting in hand complaints. Regardless of what Sideshow was expecting, this piece should have been given the quality photography shoot the statue deserved. The fact that its arguably the most anticipated piece Sideshow is releasing for 2016 and it arguably has the worst production pictures for any statue relased in 2016....well, I personally find that absolutely mind boggling, regardless of what Sideshow was or wasn't expecting. It just doesnt make any sense to me, both as a collector and as a photographer.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #3616
frenchyoutoo
Nightwing

Im going by what i saw at the Con.. not the SS photos.
no photoshopping with pics. Just normal peeps taking photos and videos.
frenchyoutoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #3617
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
I have to admit, its pretty mind blowing that Sideshow wouldn't go all out on the production pictures for one of thier most anticpiated pieces and instead went the other way altogoether and created what are easily some of the weakest pictures I have seen from Sideshow all year.
I think you could be missing the point of the production shots...I expect they are taking photos to show people more closely how the piece will look in their homes and on their shelves. They could have jazzed it up, sure...but most people don't have that type of lighting in their display.

For me, I appreciate the photos they posted more, as I feel it is a more honest representation of the actual product buyers will receive.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #3618
polished1
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Sideshow shouldn't be ashamed, but the photographer definitely should. And it was a poor choice on Sideshow's part not to reshoot it after seeing these pics.
He was being sarcastic. Thanks for all the education on photography though, about time people are pointing out the huge difference in lighting. But people's ignorance is to be expected, the advertisement industry is built on it.
polished1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #3619
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I think you could be missing the point of the production shots...I expect they are taking photos to show people more closely how the piece will look in their homes and on their shelves. They could have jazzed it up, sure...but most people don't have that type of lighting in their display.

For me, I appreciate the photos they posted more, as I feel it is a more honest representation of the actual product buyers will receive.
No, I'm not missing the point on the production pics and as I said before, this lighting style, especially with the use of a white backdrop, is the last style you want to use if your trying to show people what its going to look like in thier home. The VAST majority of people that buy statues use top down lighting to display them or just natural lighting so if your intent with the production pics is showing people what the statue will look like in thier home then you would want to use a similar style of lighting, not front light the statue so drastically that again it wipes out any sort of texture or detail. And once again, this is really one of the only statues released this year from Sideshow that was photographed in such a manner, at least that I am aware of.

And I am not talking about using the type of effects they use with thier prototype pics in thier production pics. The use of gels, fog, pictured backdrops, etc. I am talking about using quality lighting techniques that bring out the actual details of the statue, not smother them in a massive amount of front lighting.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #3620
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
I'm sorry guys, do you think I will have time to see some user pics before payment request? I bought her directly from SS site and I chose single payment
Thanks
Some people opted for early processing Dec 6th so if it ships then there should be pics by the end of the week.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote