Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #91
comicart.man
Fantastic Four

I am guessing they are using a metal internal support system (skeleton) for a fair bit of the statue.

Although I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive, I wonder if carbon fiber would work for internal support.

I hope the silicone isn’t a thin layer on top of polystone.
comicart.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #92
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicart.man View Post
I am guessing they are using a metal internal support system (skeleton) for a fair bit of the statue.

Although I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive, I wonder if carbon fiber would work for internal support.

I hope the silicone isn?t a thin layer on top of polystone.
How do they do it for the 1:1 Busts? I mean, WW from Infinity and Queen both had bare arms, so that should provide a hint.

Plus, as long as the structure underneath can take the load of a metal sword and shield - I guess it's not important if it's polystone or not. We know that polystone and silicone don't react badly to each other......with a pot metal structure underneath, I'm not sure how that would react with silicone over a longer period.

Don't quote me on this, but if memory serves me, some of the very first Phicen 1/6 seamless bodies, had a pot metal skeletal frame - not only did they break with continuous posing, but the metal also rusted.......not something you want on a hyper expensive statue.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #93
comicart.man
Fantastic Four

That is a good point mentioning that other companies do silicone for limbs. I am not interested in 1:1 busts so I haven't looked into how those were constructed.

I think the different scales (1:3 vs 1:1) might make a difference in material selection as well as the pose and "accessories."

The JND statue will have "long slender" upper limbs supporting a sword in one and a shield in the other.

If they use internal metal support hopefully they'll pick something corrosion resistant like stainless steel or titanium.

I am pretty sure they will go into the engineering and construction methods in their "Presents" video.
comicart.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #94
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
That is a good point mentioning that other companies do silicone for limbs. I am not interested in 1:1 busts so I haven't looked into how those were constructed.

I think the different scales (1:3 vs 1:1) might make a difference in material selection as well as the pose and "accessories."

The JND statue will have "long slender" upper limbs supporting a sword in one and a shield in the other.

If they use internal metal support hopefully they'll pick something corrosion resistant like stainless steel or titanium.

I am pretty sure they will go into the engineering and construction methods in their "Presents" video.
In the 1/6th scale action figure community, there is a popular body known as Phicen/TBLeague which is a silicone body supported by a posable stainless-steel structure.

Given the high cost of Titanium, i cannot imagine it being used.
This is JND right? ..and they want to be the best of the best. Maybe Titanium is not out of the question?
I still doubt them using it.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #95
ACalica917
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

You know what would be cool? If they fit in a little bit of platinum even if it’s just a plaque. It would justify the line’s name at least.
ACalica917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #96
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:

I hope the silicone isn?t a thin layer on top of polystone.
I was wondering the same thing.

How will WW (arms/hands) be able to support holding the sword & shield in the long-term?

The Harley Quinn supposedly does not support the bat well without modification - either the grip JND provided or I've seen one collector zip tie it.
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:12 AM   #97
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

The Chinese factories know how to do silicone of resin under structure. I have two unlicensed statues that have that application. Not sure why one would want stainless steel skeleton. You want a rigid under structure with surface area for the silicone to adhere to. A steel skeleton would have the silicone potentially twist around it. I have Phicen body figures and works for smaller scale and poseability.

I also own the Queen Alita bust which the face and head is just a layer of silicone. I wouldn't want a solid silicone head.

I don't have my JND Harley yet, but the solid silicone hands are a bit of fail, especially the right hand. I will probably follow the person who used fishing line to hold the bat to the collar. That grip tape is just dumb.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #98
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
The Chinese factories know how to do silicone of resin under structure. I have two unlicensed statues that have that application. Not sure why one would want stainless steel skeleton. You want a rigid under structure with surface area for the silicone to adhere to. A steel skeleton would have the silicone potentially twist around it. I have Phicen body figures and works for smaller scale and poseability.

I also own the Queen Alita bust which the face and head is just a layer of silicone. I wouldn't want a solid silicone head.

I don't have my JND Harley yet, but the solid silicone hands are a bit of fail, especially the right hand. I will probably follow the person who used fishing line to hold the bat to the collar. That grip tape is just dumb.
After watching a couple videos now showing how well the gun fits into her right hand, I'll display mine with the gun instead. I have two other statues of her with a bat so this will be a nice change.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #99
Toaster
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

So far, I haven't seen anything "Premium" about this piece in the teasers; it looks like a standard JND statue. I understand they are most likely going for all exposed parts of her body to be silicone, but do we really need that? If it is a difference of $1,000+, I would be happy with just the head and shoulder area being silicone as their prices are already at a premium level.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #100
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Teaser #3 tonight at 11:00pm EST.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote