Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Toshiba HD-A1 firmware upgrade

I was just curious if any of you Toshiba HD-A1 owners out there have received the 1.4 firmware upgrade CD from Toshiba. I just recently got my player and sent the upgrade request card in. If you did get the CD did the upgrade go smoothly and has it made a difference?
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I should be getting my CD sometime this week.

I'm currently running 1.3

The upgrade takes about 10 mins to install.

I believe the first two updates resolved HDMI/projector issues.

I may just stay with 1.3 until there is something worth updating for (ie. faster load times, TrueHD5.1)
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
P1X4R
Producer

guys, i purchased my A1 player just yesterday at Best Buy. i was able to talk them into throwing in a free movie since they didn't want to budge much from retail price. i think i have the latest firmware installed since it's got a manufacture date of july 2006. i'll have to double check that. OMG, i must say that is one incredible player when it comes to 1080 res out. the whole 1080p/1080i is a non-issue for me. i know this medium is very, very early but i am blown at the picture content that it has to offer. there's not too many movie titles out there yet but i am begging for more. i am seriously considering buying movies that i normally wouldn't watch just to see how good it looks! regular DVDs look pretty good too but after seeing HD it just can't compare. it's really a big step up. i may eventually get a Blu ray player but i'll wait till the prices are more affordable. it's really too bad the big industry players didn't work together in making one standard format. this is truly the future of watching television!

btw, i was talking to this guy who is an early adopter. he said the firmware upgrade through an internet connection can take up to 30 minutes. now, if it's anything like updating the bios on a computer then i would recommend downloading the ISO image and burning it disk to install from. you wouldn't want anything to go wrong during this process.
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R
guys, i purchased my A1 player just yesterday at Best Buy. i was able to talk them into throwing in a free movie since they didn't want to budge much from retail price. i think i have the latest firmware installed since it's got a manufacture date of july 2006. i'll have to double check that. OMG, i must say that is one incredible player when it comes to 1080 res out. the whole 1080p/1080i is a non-issue for me. i know this medium is very, very early but i am blown at the picture content that it has to offer. there's not too many movie titles out there yet but i am begging for more. i am seriously considering buying movies that i normally wouldn't watch just to see how good it looks! regular DVDs look pretty good too but after seeing HD it just can't compare. it's really a big step up. i may eventually get a Blu ray player but i'll wait till the prices are more affordable. it's really too bad the big industry players didn't work together in making one standard format. this is truly the future of watching television!

btw, i was talking to this guy who is an early adopter. he said the firmware upgrade through an internet connection can take up to 30 minutes. now, if it's anything like updating the bios on a computer then i would recommend downloading the ISO image and burning it disk to install from. you wouldn't want anything to go wrong during this process.
Congrats Ed! Isn't HD awesome?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Even though I am still waiting for my 1.4 firmware upgrade disk to arrive it looks like Toshiba is going to be releasing version 2.0 today. I picked this up from another website:

Toshiba sure does love their firmware updates. Their fourth update in as many months bumps the version number to a nice round 2.0, and promises TrueHD 5.1 support, allowing for full digital reproduction of studio mastered sound with 24-bit/96kHz discrete channels. As our friends at HD Beat astutely point out, it ain't no Blu-ray support, but it's a nice one-up on the competition all the same. No word on when exactly this will drop today, but we wouldn't stray far from the remote if we were you and had an intense craving for yummy TrueHD and expansive version numbers.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Well there you go CandyRocket true HD5.1 support!
This is way kewl guys. I need to get one of these sooooon!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Ghost

Oh and Ed, isn't Best Buy usually pretty much stuck with their prices? I never seen them bring down the price or let you haggle unless they gave you their discount.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
This is way kewl guys. I need to get one of these sooooon!
And stop talking about it. for sure.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Ghost

I'm just taking after you guys!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I'm just taking after you guys!
Well we do make good role models. There is that.