Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #431
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
This is literally no Pyslocke you have ever seen because it's non-Japanese (white) Betsy in the Psylocke costume. Which never happened in the comics.

Currently in the comics, this suit and name Psylocke are used by Kwannon. Back in the 90s it was Betsy as Pyslocke in the Japanese body of Kwannon.

Pretty much what you have here is a white girl doing her best cosplay in the Danger Room with this statue. But hey...totally cool if you like that sort of thing.
And a pretty poor cosplay at that considering there are WAY too many liberties taken in her costume.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #432
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Its just amazing to me that they managed to make a great Storm, Phoenix, Dark Phoenix, and all the 1/3 pieces but then come out with what they have lately. They are just getting in their own way and it's infuriating because I really need a Psylocke and Rogue for my collection and I don't love either offering from either company. Ugh.

It's clear they just google search (or look at customs) and keep it moving. I have no faith Angelus won't be jacked up somehow. The idea of Jean worries me. And lord help that overly busy Nightcrawler.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #433
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Are you guys considering the Sideshow Psylocke to be Japanese? I wouldn't say that portrait looks fully Asian at all.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #434
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Which one? Smashed alien face or the original that was put on the variant?

I think the smashed alien face is a terrible caricature (borderline racist to me) of a Japanese woman. The original face is stunning and closest to a Japanese portrait than any of the Sideshow or XM offerings. For the record, the best Psylocke portrait (IMO) is on the Mark Brooks Comiquette which I think the most recent original PF portrait was trying to capture.

"Fully Asian" is a VERY broad term as all Asians do not look alike.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #435
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Which one? Smashed alien face or the original that was put on the variant?

I think the smashed alien face is a terrible caricature (borderline racist to me) of a Japanese woman. The original face is stunning and closest to a Japanese portrait than any of the Sideshow or XM offerings. For the record, the best Psylocke portrait (IMO) is on the Mark Brooks Comiquette which I think the most recent original PF portrait was trying to capture.

"Fully Asian" is a VERY broad term as all Asians do not look alike.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say either one looks Asian to be honest. The 2nd one looks a little closer but I think they were hedging on both portraits. I never thought the unreleased SS Psylocke portrait reminded me of the character, but it was a nice portrait.

This portrait is unmistakably an Asian woman:

Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #436
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
EAXCTLY they didn't because they didn't know to ask. So me "opening my own company" wouldn't change the fundamental issue that XM doesn't really know much about the characters of the statues they make. Which is both good and bad. In this instance, it was a negative. That being said, you and others blindly following and backing up their uninformed decisions doesn't help them or anybody really.

Also, it's not much of "a discussion" when you don't have any discussion points and just think those who disagree are incorrect and XM is always right. That's unfair and ridiculous.
Are people still trying to have a rational conversation with GrumpyBear? When someone thinks they know everything you're never going to have anything resembling a logical conversation. Whether officially or unofficially, he's XM's corporate shill.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #437
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Are you saying that because the eye are slanted and narrow? I'm really not kidding when I ask that. Because seriously, if that is what makes that portrait "Asian" to you, I strongly recommend researching images of Asian faces. Except don't search "Asian" because that is stereotypical AF. Search by country. Start for Japan and tell me how many women you find with faces like the one you posted. Then move on to China, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea...and on and on throughout East and Southeast Asia.

At this point you saying "fully Asian" is as bad as saying "all black people look alike". No. Just no.

To that point to bring it back to the statues, that original Psylocke many moons ago was acceptable for the time. Now it's not. Sideshow's original Psylocke portrait and the comiquette are the best representations of a Japanese woman's face I have seen a company do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post

Hmmm, I wouldn't say either one looks Asian to be honest. The 2nd one looks a little closer but I think they were hedging on both portraits. I never thought the unreleased SS Psylocke portrait reminded me of the character, but it was a nice portrait.

This portrait is unmistakably an Asian woman:

Old 08-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #438
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Are people still trying to have a rational conversation with GrumpyBear? When someone thinks they know everything you're never going to have anything resembling a logical conversation. Whether officially or unofficially, he's XM's corporate shill.
Which is why I speak my comments because eventually being a "shill" just can't be overlooked. I say the same thing on XM social media as I do in here. Its a shame XM doesn't have a presence in here anymore, but clearly they got to big to give a damn and now this is what we get - statues that sometimes make no damn sense.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #439
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Also, check out Kwannon right now in the comics (Hellions). Tell me that isn't damn near the original portrait of Sideshow's Psylocke...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwannon Hellions.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	142171  
Old 08-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #440
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I know not everything, but much more than others. That´s why i can be always relaxed on many comments. To be honest, i can´t see fanboys nowadays, but still haters.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote