Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > William Paquet

Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #41
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Is the best DVD version to get the "Version You've Never Seen" or an older release?

I've heard that the newest version doesn't add much to the movie, except for the spider-walk scene.
I have the original release SE version from Warner Bros. which includes the documentary, FEAR OF GOD.

I saw the theatrical re release that included the spider walk, when it was on the big screen. Saw it all alone in fact, as my lovely wife refused to go with me. This movie freaks her out like nothing else. Anyway, the original version remains my favorite. I didn't find the spider walk added anything to the film. Seriously though if you love this film, that documentary is a must see. All the main players are in it, including the late, William Peter Blatty, and the late Jason Miller.

And, Mr Neil, you have to see Exorcist 3. It is seriously freaky, and George C Scott as Lt. Kinderman is pure gold.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #42
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
I have the original release SE version from Warner Bros. which includes the documentary, FEAR OF GOD.

I saw the theatrical re release that included the spider walk, when it was on the big screen. Saw it all alone in fact, as my lovely wife refused to go with me. This movie freaks her out like nothing else. Anyway, the original version remains my favorite. I didn't find the spider walk added anything to the film. Seriously though if you love this film, that documentary is a must see. All the main players are in it, including the late, William Peter Blatty, and the late Jason Miller.

And, Mr Neil, you have to see Exorcist 3. It is seriously freaky, and George C Scott as Lt. Kinderman is pure gold.
Thanks for all the great info, William! I'll be sure to check out Exorcist 3 sometime.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #43
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:

You are married to a very wise woman.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #44
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

William Friedkin was a genius who fell by the wayside. His other great film "The French Connection" along with the Exorcist would be in my top 10 films.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #45
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
William Friedkin was a genius who fell by the wayside. His other great film "The French Connection" along with the Exorcist would be in my top 10 films.

A director is generally as good as the potential of the material he/she has to work with...
For whatever reason, Hollywood stopped sending solid scripts his way.

Meanwhile, Hollywood made lots of room for Coppola, Scorcese, Lucas, DePalma, W. Allen, Lumet, Spielberg etc...
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #46
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Maybe it has to do with dollars generated...although The Exorcist and The French Connection probably were blockbusters, maybe there was a squeaker or two that got him blacklisted...
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #47
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

It seems to me that Friedkin made choices in his films based solely on what he might enjoy doing, as opposed to other directors that might be thinking about box office receipts for every project. There is no doubt he never came close to the artisitc, critical and financial success of his two biggies, but I wonder if he even cares(not that he should). He made some interesting script choices after EXORCIST.

Anyone see BUG?

Not good. Great idea, but too tough to translate to screen. It was a play originally, and they are always hard to do right in movies because they tend to be dialog heavy(like this one), and unless the dialog is truly engaging, like in MY DINNER WITH ANDRE for instance, the talky-talk-talk-talkishness, can be agonizingly tedious.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #48
Vader
Ghost

Was the exorcist loosely based on a true story? Did the documentary deal with the true story behind the film?
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #49
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
It seems to me that Friedkin made choices in his films based solely on what he might enjoy doing, as opposed to other directors that might be thinking about box office receipts for every project. There is no doubt he never came close to the artisitc, critical and financial success of his two biggies, but I wonder if he even cares(not that he should). He made some interesting script choices after EXORCIST.

Anyone see BUG?

Not good. Great idea, but too tough to translate to screen. It was a play originally, and they are always hard to do right in movies because they tend to be dialog heavy(like this one), and unless the dialog is truly engaging, like in MY DINNER WITH ANDRE for instance, the talky-talk-talk-talkishness, can be agonizingly tedious.

To me he seemed to have the same attitude to hollywood as Brando. He simply did not care enough about his talent.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #50
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
To me he seemed to have the same attitude to hollywood as Brando. He simply did not care enough about his talent.
I agree. There is that maverick kind of attitude, that I personally admire. In the BBC documentary on the EXORCIST, it is clear that he did what he wanted to do and didn't give a rat's ass what the studio thought.