Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
NineBreaker
Frackin!

Great videos! One question I have is that I was doing Alclad clears over the Alclad chrome and was curious if I should / could seal it with straight Future through the airbrush like in the video or if it would cause the paint's shine to "dull". I did a alclad clear blue over the chrome, so I was afraid it would lose the metallic look when I applied it or it may ruin the finish.

Secondly, I wanted to do a wash to highlight some of the linings to give it depth, but wanted over the future coat. The problem is that I've had the experience that the future will pick up some of the wash since it's acrylic as well. It seems like it stains, even with very thin mixtures. Maybe I need to be a bit more careful, but still it's nearly impossible to get it all in there. Do you have any recommendations for that? Thanks!
NineBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Y3E
Gen 13

You da' man!

Thanks!
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineBreaker View Post
Great videos! One question I have is that I was doing Alclad clears over the Alclad chrome and was curious if I should / could seal it with straight Future through the airbrush like in the video or if it would cause the paint's shine to "dull". I did a alclad clear blue over the chrome, so I was afraid it would lose the metallic look when I applied it or it may ruin the finish.

Secondly, I wanted to do a wash to highlight some of the linings to give it depth, but wanted over the future coat. The problem is that I've had the experience that the future will pick up some of the wash since it's acrylic as well. It seems like it stains, even with very thin mixtures. Maybe I need to be a bit more careful, but still it's nearly impossible to get it all in there. Do you have any recommendations for that? Thanks!

I never had a issue with floor polish unless i sprayed heavy right away or sprayed to thick.

If you spray to thick and it gets cloudy you need to blow dry it up to clear it or it will stay cloudy. I tend to so small mists to get a base coat of the floor polish and then spray heavy. The first misting seals a lot in then i can spray havy for a nice gloss.

Best to try some things with it to see what and doesnt work. I only use floor polish over chrome and metallics, never anything else.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

I don't even have the patience to paint but they were very interesting to watch.
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
NineBreaker
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
I never had a issue with floor polish unless i sprayed heavy right away or sprayed to thick.

If you spray to thick and it gets cloudy you need to blow dry it up to clear it or it will stay cloudy. I tend to so small mists to get a base coat of the floor polish and then spray heavy. The first misting seals a lot in then i can spray havy for a nice gloss.

Best to try some things with it to see what and doesnt work. I only use floor polish over chrome and metallics, never anything else.
Thanks! Yea, for the record I probably am going too heavy on it, but I was worried about doing my wash before or after I put it on. Oh well... I don't really want to test this on the finished model, but I suppose I need to find some test parts to figure out the wash before I actually do it.

I was going to try to mix in some pearl powders too into the clear coat and see what effect that has on some of the white parts. We'll seee...
NineBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
GedTasker
Home Grown Mod

Thanks for showing how you do this alclad chrome mate... you are an incredible painter Vince Vell and i love your work!!!
GedTasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
GedTasker
Home Grown Mod

((double post))
GedTasker is offline   Reply With Quote