Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
gomur
The Tick

Price is definitely a consideration, unless you make all things even in these "rounds" and judge only by artistic merits. Let's not forget the display options that some XM statues like Cap and Black Widow have with their switch-out parts. And they have many.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I don't get the hate for the new SS Hulk, it's better than the original PF imo.
I hate the Regular portrait. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

The EX portrait on the other hand is the way to go.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
yeek
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm not factoring in price, only the actual statues.

-Both caps are equal IMO. Like you said, the realistic take from SS is very well done while the XM version looks like it jumped out of the comics and has that presence. Switch out parts are a definite plus.

-XM BW, no contest. SS one doesn't appeal to me at all in any regards. Only the face sculpt looks good to me, but the pose, base, ex knife, etc, ugh.

-SS Hulk, though just barely. I don't really like either version. Reg head on SS looks unappealing, the uninspired hunch pose which totally defeats the purpose of Hulk, who needs to be commanding in stature. I can't really say much on the XM one since it's hard to tell about the paint color of Hulk till it's in hand. I'm glad they included a second head bc the first one didn't fit the emotion too well. Pose is decent since he's standing so at least he'll be big, torn shirt is ok, but as a whole this Hulk didn't really do much for me either.
yeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
actionjackson83
Midnighter

definitely love the SS Captain America, the face sculpt and details are far superior. I have no need to get an XM Cap with that unless SS botches the QC badly.

BW I like XM's better, better pose and better look.

Hulk, both suck sorry
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2005 View Post
Hand sculpt (SS) vs Digital sculpting (XM)
SS are digital as well. some are fully digital and some start out as digital and then get finished off traditionally. but its a mixed bag. not as one sided as you may think.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #16
DynamicMenace

i think SS captures the realism factor much better while XM does a great job of capturing the iconic comic look.
but then again. it all boils down to the artists at hand who is sculpting the pieces. and then its the painter who applies the paint is a major factor in how the final outcome will look for the piece.
prices aside they both do a good job of making statues. ansd hiring the right artists to do their pieces for them.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #17
Vracula
Jedi Order

XM Captain America
XM Black Widow
SS hulk.

Those are my picks.XM have the right art direction and "decent" sculpts, If they get a seasoned sculptor they would be very hard to beat.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
TheStig88
The X-Men

SS on Cap, but narrowly.
SS on Black Widow based purely on the portrait. If XM's had a better one this vote would more than likely swing the other way, but I'm just not a fan of it.
Not a fan of either Hulk.

Regardless of who I chose though, XM is putting in some serious work. If only their prices were a little easier to swallow.
TheStig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
XM Captain America
XM Black Widow
SS hulk.

Those are my picks.XM have the right art direction and "decent" sculpts, If they get a seasoned sculptor they would be very hard to beat.
Hey V, where you been bro? They already have plenty of seasoned sculptors. And they have some of the top digital artists in the world, not to mention artists in general.

In any case, I will ALWAYS choose COMIC INCARNATIONS and LOOKS over more realistic interpretations like SS. Not to say I don't like SS...I can't get enough of their stuff, but I'm sorry, for me there is just no contest with the Caps and BWs.

1) XM CAP (it is the G.O.A.T of ALL CAPTAIN AMERICA statues) Nothing comes close to it....in any scale.

2) XM Black Widow (it is the G.O.A.T of ALL BLACK WIDOW statues). The amount of extras and switch out parts, plus two different bases make this a hands down winner.

3) XM Hulk (I like SS version, but it is more suited for the RED HULK, moreso than the green one). The musculature and the pose of XM is better executed. The SS Hulk is not bad by any means, but I will always take a comic book rendition over realistic renditions any day of the week.

The real comparisons will begin once I get Cap in my hands. Trust me, I plan on getting a DSLR just to start shooting great pics of all my statues. I will put Cap next to other SS statues both DC and the Skarr Hulk PF I still own (the best Marvel SS statue done to date IMHO). So you and I will all see soon.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
DynamicMenace

ive seen them..