Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #101
DarkKnight85
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Wow, we see this statue differently. What gives you the impression Magneto laid waste to the school? Do you think Magneto grabbed a bunch of Sentinels with his power and attacked the school and Charles? Highly unlikely. And why do you think he looks like a megalomaniac? The portrait provided without his helmet looks like a man lost in thought. The helmeted portrait looks like an angry man who just finished an epic battle against the Sentinels for control of Cerebro. The Sentinel wreckage obviously implies an attack on the school by humans or the government. Why would anyone think Magneto was responsible for that? There's nothing in the details of the statue that would lead me to believe that.

Well I mean, you have a point, there is nothing for certain that definitely says he was the one that was responsible for the Xavier institution wreckage. It's just the pose. He's all leaned back, sitting real comfortable and sprawled out on the chair, surrounded by what appears to be trophies. The only thing I see missing here is Rogue sitting on his lap and a six-pack of beer on the floor as if it was a day at the beach for him.

I do agree though, the non-helmet version does give him a more contemplative look. I just think having the sentinel throne chair on top of the mansion rubble while holding cerebro doesn't mesh well. The two different set pieces almost clash and give off some type of conflict as to what is going on. It's like he's sitting there just patting himself on the back saying "told you so Charles".

If the sentinels were to attack and definitively destroy the x-mansion and Xavier's dream, I'm pretty sure Magneto wouldn't take the time to make a personal mockery out of the metal robots. I think he would honestly probably be crushed, crushed in the fact that he was right about humanity, but deep down didn't want to be. I always viewed Magneto as hoping Xavier's way is the better way, he just knows he couldn't live with himself if he went down that road and bad things happened. And if they were going the route of the aftermath of a sentinel attack in which Magneto was there to clean it all up after it was too late, I think there could have been many other ideas to portray this type of scene/story idea.

Even so though, while I know it sounds like I'm going off on this statue, I do want to say it's a wonderful statue and I think anyone who spent a lot on it, shouldn't have double thoughts, it definitely stands out as something quality. It's just I don't think it captures the complexity to Magneto/Eric Lehnsherr. Hell my favorite comic book writer is probably Grant Morrison, and I refuse to buy his X-Men saga due to the depiction of the character in that book. Many others feel the same way, which is why it got a retcon. Even Morrison himself was quoted as saying he wishes he depicted the character differently. I have like all the x men omnibuses, but even with several opportunities to get the Morrison one for cheap money, I just don't want it in my collection lol.
DarkKnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #102
rhy
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Already comparing to Xm mags lol can't we al just enjoy all these awesome new statues coming out
I know right!? One would think, that instead of comparing a statue made by a different company, the conversation would be more along the lines of how this version would be compared to the previous one:

LOL...SS should follow XM lead and maintain texturing throughout the costume. Look at how well received Thanos on a throne was as opposed to the diorama so many years back. Hopefully, this version of Mags and every mutant afterward is scaled accordingly to their comic counterpart or at the very least, scaled w/ all others consistently in this particular line. A Jim Lee portrait would be nice, but not necessary. I'm hoping for a very dynamic, gravity defying pose, similar to Spidey or DP.

SS, this time around a nameplate isn't necessary.
rhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #103
HBK83
The Avengers

There are tons of magnetos being created there are 2 being released in next couple months by really good sculptors and 2 will go up for preorder in next month or 2. And all should be under $1000. So even if you don't like what sideshow makes there are plenty of other options if you follow the groups. Some of the pieces that are being created surpass what xm, SIDESHOW, and prime 1 are doing. Mad-X imo has the best magneto. Jays upcoming beta ray bill is one of the best custom I have ever seen. And it's not even finished.
So keep your eyes open.
It will be nice to see what sideshow does knowing the pressure of this character
But I can't wait for sideshow to finish the xmen. I got in on the gambit and jubilee customs coming.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #104
rhy
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Personally, I try to purchase licensed statues over customs, nothing against unlicensed stuff; it's just personal preference.
rhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #105
Atimantium
Hydra

Just make something like this.
I agree with you HBK. This is my favorite Magneto to date by far. All the other ones don't compare in my opinion. The concept of XM's is great but I really don't care for the execution. The suit is too complicated for me. Everything else is really cool but Magneto himself I don't like on XM's. Doesn't quite look 1/4 scale to me either. Really long legs but not anatomically pleasing to me. I've seen a pic of him next to the mystique commiquette and they look closer to "in scale" with her, than he does with other PF's.
Idk. It's always preference. just my opinion. Reallly hoping SS makes a statue that is in line with the existing line of X-Men because I don't want to have to sell all of mine and re-buy a new line just because Magneto doesn't fit well with the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3888.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	103276  
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #106
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhy View Post
Personally, I try to purchase licensed statues over customs, nothing against unlicensed stuff; it's just personal preference.
Nothing wrong with that. It took me years to come around on a custom statue. It was an archangel that broke me into the customs. Now with prices rising and limited characters from sideshow I look at them just like licensed pieces. It's all the same price now
Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #107
hulkvsmark7
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Mag will be 1299.00 or 1350.00 by the time he goes for po!
even more expensive than thanos + throne?!
how did u come up with that number?
hulkvsmark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #108
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
Nothing wrong with that. It took me years to come around on a custom statue. It was an archangel that broke me into the customs. Now with prices rising and limited characters from sideshow I look at them just like licensed pieces. It's all the same price now
Some characters you really have no choice but to go custom. XM seems to be the only company making the characters I want (Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Cable, Iron Fist). It's really too bad it's so expensive to get them here in NA. Sideshow for whatever reason is not producing for these characters that admittedly are C-listers, but there is still obviously an audience for them. I guess they will sell way more of any Star Wars character than they will of some of these lesser known Marvel heroes.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #109
FJC
Midnighter

For me personally, there are only 3 Magneto statues that I love. In no particular order they are: The Koto Mags by Sosa, the XM Mags, and Daniel Bel's Magneto. If Harbottle is sculpting SSC's 1/4 Mags, I'm certain I'll be adding that piece to my list as well.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #110
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
Some characters you really have no choice but to go custom. XM seems to be the only company making the characters I want (Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Cable, Iron Fist). It's really too bad it's so expensive to get them here in NA. Sideshow for whatever reason is not producing for these characters that admittedly are C-listers, but there is still obviously an audience for them. I guess they will sell way more of any Star Wars character than they will of some of these lesser known Marvel heroes.
I wish sideshow would just do smaller runs of other characters. So many characters in DC have never been done. This magneto I think will be well thought out and planned.