Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
tandt71
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You can still get full figure sketches for $60, just not from a published professional

I see unpublished artists charge $50- $100 for a head sketch at cons as well now. I know there are some who will do fast ones who are published at $60 and I get inked full figures from my published favorite at a good fee and stick with him. I also get 24" x 36" from another artist at a special price with full backgrounds but he is not a comic artist. The charges most are asking is far fetched.
tandt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #22
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandt71 View Post
I see unpublished artists charge $50- $100 for a head sketch at cons as well now. I know there are some who will do fast ones who are published at $60 and I get inked full figures from my published favorite at a good fee and stick with him. I also get 24" x 36" from another artist at a special price with full backgrounds but he is not a comic artist. The charges most are asking is far fetched.
I wouldn't call it that. For a very long time artists have been under paid for their work, some still so. I think people just under value the skill and at times take it for granted.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #23
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Personally no. I've probably become more sensitive to prices lately having dealt with a number of artists who have ripped me off recently.

I generally don't go over $200-$250 for a full figure, especially since being based in Canada and usually dealing with US based artists, a 200$ commish with shipping will usually end up being around 400$ Canadian after the exchange rate anyways, so there is a lot of incentive to try and stay below $250.

Lately I've been finding "lesser-known" artists do just as good of a job, sometimes better than big names anyways, at a fraction of the price.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #24
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

i guess sellers have become desensitized to asking crazy prices.

I was just quoted $4k for a 9x12 bust. And separately was quoted $3k for a largely stat piece that had sat at on a dealers website for years for 1/4th of the price.

carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
i guess sellers have become desensitized to asking crazy prices.

I was just quoted $4k for a 9x12 bust. And separately was quoted $3k for a largely stat piece that had sat at on a dealers website for years for 1/4th of the price.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #26
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

It is getting crazy. You have to work harder to find art at FMV as everyone thinks their art is suddenly 2-4X the value it was yesterday. I am very happy to have amassed a collection that means a lot to me and one I can be content with if this trend continues. I am also happy to have other smaller hobbies that are fun in case art becomes cost prohibitive. I made the decision to freeze out after Toronto this year and it has actually been very easy as most art I have seen goes for more than I would be willing to pay.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #27
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I think I've been pretty disciplined this year too. unfortunately I have the fever right now and have the urge to buy one more piece before year end
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #28
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I got tempted to pull the trigger on a couple pages from the Batman who laughs by Riley Rossmo on Felix's site this morning but decided to hold off and keep saving for ECCC.

I just looked and all the pages are already sold out.

Last edited by MONSTER; 11-21-2017 at 02:31 PM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #29
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I got tempted to pull the trigger on a couple pages from the Batman who laughs by Riley Rossmo on Felix's site this morning but decided to hold off and keep saving for ECCC.

I just looked and all the pages are already sold out.
Felix prices published stuff well. Who woulda thunk there’s reps who actually try to move their artists’ art
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #30
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
Felix prices published stuff well. Who woulda thunk there’s reps who actually try to move their artists’ art
Yeah the prices were fair. Nothing outrageous. A few pages sold fairly quickly and others seemed to start moving after a few minutes.