Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Because open means unlimited!
And unlimited means they will never stop making them and therefore your copy will never be worth anything.

Just look at the aftermarket prices for that Open ES Galactus piece from several years back...worthless!
People were fools for paying $800 for a 33" maquette with no golden # on the base.

/sarcasm

I remember trying to justify the purchase of this to other people who liked it, wanted it, and would have bought it if not for the open ES status. Eventually there's nothing left to do but shrug your shoulders and tell yourself "they'll learn."
Unless you're trying to sell SS OG or XM Mags or any other older pieces, most new statues from the last 3 years are selling at low prices, sometimes lower than retail. Heck, just this past week someone was selling XM Namor for $500 US + shipping.

I did see a Galactus maq sell, asking price was $1200 but don't know what the actual selling price was.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
I never understood why people hated open ES.

If you like the damn statue, PO the damn statue. Why does the edition size matter to someone who wants a particular piece?

Some people do not only want a nice statue. They also like owning something rare or harder to find over time that will not feel too mass produced. They also like being able to sell it down the road for either what they paid or at a profit. It's senseless to judge why others buy or collect the way they do. If you're happy with open editions, that's awesome. However, there are other equally valid ways of buying and collecting.

However, the harsh reality is that these rising costs are hurting the aftermarket. We're seeing more and more pieces sell for below retail, quite literally right out of the gate, which is making some collectors think twice about pre-ordering. I missed out on a piece recently and ended up buying it at less than half the original retail just a few months after its release. That is great for me, but lousy for the seller. That sort of thing catches up to you after a while.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Unless you're trying to sell SS OG or XM Mags or any other older pieces, most new statues from the last 3 years are selling at low prices, sometimes lower than retail. Heck, just this past week someone was selling XM Namor for $500 US + shipping.

I did see a Galactus maq sell, asking price was $1200 but don't know what the actual selling price was.
Xm Namor is the be all end all statue I love the disco suit. I put my whole life into xm Namor. Sold my apartment, clothes, quit my job everything was put into acquiring Namor your telling me I made wrong decision? I shall see you on the battle field.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #14
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
I never understood why people hated open ES.

If you like the damn statue, PO the damn statue. Why does the edition size matter to someone who wants a particular piece?
That’s what I do. If I want it, I order it.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

If you like the statue buy it. That's the only thing that should a be a factor.

As for pre-ordering early, i do it for payment plans.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

When I buy a piece, that is money I am completely willing to part with. I’m not expecting a return at all. These are pieces my children will have once I pass on. If you’re looking for investments there are a lot of better investments out there.

I just buy what I want. I don’t care about edition size, and I buy when it’s convenient for me. With that being said, I’m not preordering a lot of statues I want from SS because I know the edition sizes will be so high I can get one after the fact. Patience will rarely harm you in this hobby (some exceptions apply).
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #17
SONICobra
Batman

es tbd or not doesnt effect if i order day one (unless its a thanos situation) price does. i ordered wolverine day one because i thought the price was "reasonable" by todays standards where magneto i have yet to order even though the es has been listed now. i want both but have a feeling mags will be around long enough that i can wait for some kind of discount. not sure if wolverine will despite the high es but again the price seems ok so i was fine ordering day one, now its on order and i can forget about it until its ready to ship
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
Xm Namor is the be all end all statue I love the disco suit. I put my whole life into xm Namor. Sold my apartment, clothes, quit my job everything was put into acquiring Namor your telling me I made wrong decision? I shall see you on the battle field.
LOL, at least you have a cool statue to keep you warm at night
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunn View Post
If you are a collector that values a low ES then you are better off waiting until the company announces the ES. Otherwise these companies will take the amount ordered during their designated time frame and add a percentage to it. Thus creating a higher ES...

Pro's - Everyone and their uncle can get one.

Con's - Higher ES that lowers the long term value to collectors that want pieces that will possibly appreciate in value instead due to rarity.

If you like throwing the potential value of your collection out the window keep preordering these open ES's. I constantly change my pieces out sometimes buying new and selling old that I have moved on from. It is nice that they retain some value and they are not completely worthless.... Market for the majority of these pieces is in the $hittter anyways.... Just my opinion.....
That's pretty much how I feel.

I will never understand the "it's my dispensable cash". I'd assume everyone uses thier dispensable cash in this hobby, but why spend it in a careless manner.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
If you like the statue buy it. That's the only thing that should a be a factor.

As for pre-ordering early, i do it for payment plans.
I used to just buy a piece of I liked it but that stopped making sense about 2 years ago.

I get PO for payment plans but I do believe that waiting until the ES is announced will still have the same payment number options.

It just seems like waiting for a set ES would be beneficial to everyone in general.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote