Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 AM   #751
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Maybe, PVC used in figures is inherently easier to make it look nice on a small scale but generally it doesn't look quite as good in larger scales.
The artists tend to have fewer issues in achieving amazing poses. They tend to look more wild, dynamic.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:16 AM   #752
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
The artists tend to have fewer issues in achieving amazing poses. They tend to look more wild, dynamic.
That's not because of PVC but because of the scale. The same things can be done, and be done better in resin. The reason they don't do crazy ass poses is because it's huge. If you want an example look at tons of (unlicensed) resin statues that get made for naruto, dragon ball z, and one piece. WAYYYYY more dynamic then PVC.

PVC actually has big problems with poses getting to crazy as it tends to sag and bend fast. Which is why a lot of the crazy PVC figures have those transparent acrylic stands just sitting beneath parts. PVC material/tech has gotten a lot better over the years so you can't really tell how long they last however many old figures are not holding up well at all.

Some older (and newer of course) statues have issues when not made properly but those 10+ year figures are just in general not fairing well. It's just not a "strong" material to hold up weight, also it much more affected by heat.

Here's a recent resin statue

It may not end up holding up well in resin (it could though with the proper support, quality resin that hasn't sat around too long, and cured properly) but this thing would sag minute one in PVC.

In terms of sculpting it makes no difference other then the fact that pvc figures are much smaller. They aren't sculpted in PVC the same way resin statues aren't sculpted in resin. They are just cast that way.

edit: I should also add in terms of casting Resin is much easier to get dynamic poses because the latex molds are flexible as opposed to steel molds for PVC. But PVC get's around this by just using tons of parts.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #753
jimjimmyjones85
Birdman

Man, that dude has a lot of abs!
jimjimmyjones85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #754
MegatronG1
The X-Men

850 total ES. I switched my order over to the Kinetiquettes one, which has a better facial expression and texturing on the costume and belt, and a nice base. This one feels phoned in. Hair in the production samples looks too dull/matte. Sculpted by the same guy who did the Ultra Ken, for what it's worth.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #755
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
850 total ES. I switched my order over to the Kinetiquettes one, which has a better facial expression and texturing on the costume and belt, and a nice base. This one feels phoned in. Hair in the production samples looks too dull/matte. Sculpted by the same guy who did the Ultra Ken, for what it's worth.
This one will be available for a long time and at discounts too.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #756
MegatronG1
The X-Men

It's not a bad sculpt. The ES kills it more for me than the aforementioned issues, so I'd rather get the competitor's version which satisfies what I was looking for in the character. Kinetiquettes has an ES of 500. PCS used the variants to instead of differentiating a small reasonable ES, to sneak in more copies into the run.

Sideshow slashed prices again. Zangief can be yours for $397 shipped to anywhere in the world.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #757
StatueDiva
A day without sunshine is like... night.

This statue is nowhere near a good enough representation of Juri. The Kinequettes one isn't either, their paints are pretty bad.

To this day, nobody still has shown Street Fighter statues worth collecting.
StatueDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #758
MegatronG1
The X-Men

My endgame for Juri is a 1/3 sexy pose SFV outfit, fully sculpted. The Kinetiquettes will do for now.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #759
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatueDiva View Post
This statue is nowhere near a good enough representation of Juri. The Kinequettes one isn't either, their paints are pretty bad.

To this day, nobody still hasn't shown Street Fighter statues worth collecting.
jeez living up to your username eh? :P
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #760
StatueDiva
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
My endgame for Juri is a 1/3 sexy pose SFV outfit, fully sculpted. The Kinetiquettes will do for now.
Maybe someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
jeez living up to your username eh? :P
Nah, I'm just critical. These statues cost a lot of money and I expect no less than perfection.
StatueDiva is offline   Reply With Quote