Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #31
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
Every time a boardy uses the words “moderation”, “slow down”, or “take it easy”, a budget gets obliterated.
This comment made me laugh-cry...
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #32
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
This comment made me laugh-cry...
sad ... but true

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

spent too much in 2017 and hardly bought anything in 2018. That's pretty normal for me.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #34
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

I've been spending more every year since I started in 2015. I think after this year I need to spend way less but somehow I don't know if that will come true in 2019!
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #35
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectatorGuy View Post
I've been spending more every year since I started in 2015. I think after this year I need to spend way less but somehow I don't know if that will come true in 2019!
do you have a CAF gallery?

CAF
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #36
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

It's a dilemma for me, since most of what I've collected thus far are commissions.

I love most of the pieces I've gotten thus far, but part of me wants to shift to OA, but a lot of what I'd like to collect is simply outside of my price range.

https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...sp?GCat=118514

Unless I dial it back a lot and just save up for 1 or 2 pieces a year as opposed to a dozen commissions a year, but will that really satisfy by desire for art?

Luckily, one of my pieces is going to be a cover coming up! Ben Oliver's Catwoman.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #37
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
It's a dilemma for me, since most of what I've collected thus far are commissions.

I love most of the pieces I've gotten thus far, but part of me wants to shift to OA, but a lot of what I'd like to collect is simply outside of my price range.

https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...sp?GCat=118514

Unless I dial it back a lot and just save up for 1 or 2 pieces a year as opposed to a dozen commissions a year, but will that really satisfy by desire for art?

Luckily, one of my pieces is going to be a cover coming up! Ben Oliver's Catwoman.
There are some that don't like commissions (usually because of ROI rationale which is not of huge importance to me) but I still love them even with my move more toward published art. I used to collect similarly to you and the bulk of my collection was commissions every year. As I increased my minimum price point per purchase, I drifted more toward published art. I was probably 80/20 commissions early on and it has probably flipped these days. That said, each collection is unique and you are the only one who can say what new art is best for you. If you still love commissions, why stop? If you feel a calling toward something that is published, maybe curtail commissions a bit for a spell and try out picking up a nice published piece. I will say this: based on your gallery, you will be in deep waters going for prime Batman published art as there are many deep-pocketed collectors out there that are batty for Batman. Good luck!

CAF
Old 11-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #38
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
There are some that don't like commissions (usually because of ROI rationale which is not of huge importance to me) but I still love them even with my move more toward published art. I used to collect similarly to you and the bulk of my collection was commissions every year. As I increased my minimum price point per purchase, I drifted more toward published art. I was probably 80/20 commissions early on and it has probably flipped these days. That said, each collection is unique and you are the only one who can say what new art is best for you. If you still love commissions, why stop? If you feel a calling toward something that is published, maybe curtail commissions a bit for a spell and try out picking up a nice published piece. I will say this: based on your gallery, you will be in deep waters going for prime Batman published art as there are many deep-pocketed collectors out there that are batty for Batman. Good luck!

oh, don't I know it!! the market dictates the price, and if artists like Murphy and Capullo can still easily sell their pieces priced as absurdly as they do, then I am simply to have to cross them off my list of potential buys.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #39
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Batman is overrated anyways. Stick with Marvel characters. ;-)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #40
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
do you have a CAF gallery?
I do but it is sadly two years out of date, I need to get on uploading my stuff to it again! It's my own fault though, I didn't want to upload stuff without writing the story of how I got it and what I like about the piece, which lead to me never uploading anything.

https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...sp?GCat=106795
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote