Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #641
bicoid18
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I loved the mixed media aspect to the Superman PF. To me, it makes Supes look more timeless than dated. Then again, I’m partial to Alex Ross’ take on the more experienced versions of Supes and Bats. Fabric costumes are both a blessing when done right and a curse (pitgate). I will say that it takes more time to clean and to maintain them. But I do find that I can appreciate the cut and sew aspects of the costumes more. That said, I also love fully sculpted statues as well. I can’t imagine the curves and details of Dark Phoenix PF or with being better with fabric.

With regards to Lex, I still need to make time to open mine. I’ve had him for a couple of weeks but I’m just too busy atm. Hope to devote an entire evening unboxing this bad boy. I’m excited to see how he turned out!
bicoid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #642
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Here's one of the pics of someone who did blue, but I've also seen pics on Facebook of people who did the black/gray.

That one actually doesn't look bad but I've seen some that it looked better with the Fabric on. Honestly I'm good with the Batman either way...superman...maybe, but I'd probably do it to one I purchased broken and then got fixed rather than just strip a perfectly good Supes.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #643
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I prefer fully sculpted as well but I do think there are some pieces that are enhanced because of the cut and sew.
Agreed. Mixed media, when done right is a draw, not a drawback for me. The Batman PF's build is sculpted to take advantage of heavy lighting to look more imposing underneath the fabric. It's otherwise very awkward (especially with the bright blue paint scheme.) I would similarly never remove the fabric from the Joker PF, if you've ever seen the string cheese limbs underneath--while some will see that as an extreme comparison--for the same reason.

I find some of the fully sculpted custom repaints impressive in their own right, even the best ones, with added wrinkling and shadows to substitute the natural fabric folds look less professional than the retail versions. At the same time, I find myself sometime biased against mixed media pieces I see in photos before getting them in-hand due to how lazy some people are with posing/futzing, including vendors trying to sell you pieces (although at least in that case I understand them not wanting to mess with the condition too much.)
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #644
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Here's one of the pics of someone who did blue, but I've also seen pics on Facebook of people who did the black/gray.

Looks tons better imo. The colors chosen remind me of the DC patina Batman statue. Really cool.
Ryanbusts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #645
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Review for this piece is now up...go HERE to see the gallery and find the link to the video review.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #646
gomur
The Tick

I've been highly critical of and disappointed by Deathstroke and Lion-O, but time to shine a light on a statue SS did very well and that's Lex Luthor. I got a $50 promo code for select items, and the EX Lex Luthor being available with this discount is surprising to me.

If people have been on the fence on this piece, wait no longer because it's a beauty.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #647
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Grats and yes, it is a beauty. Unbelievably underrated!
Ryanbusts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #648
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Grats and yes, it is a beauty. Unbelievably underrated!
Agree 100%, This came out great. IMO it's a must for any superman fan
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #649
adee
Green Arrow

definitely a sleeper. The quality is really good on this piece. I'm shocked the EX is still available at 500.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #650
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
definitely a sleeper. The quality is really good on this piece. I'm shocked the EX is still available at 500.
Lex isn't a very popular bad guy I don't think. Even though Lex has caused so much trouble for the DCU that I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to add him to their collection if they could afford it.

Amazing piece Sideshow!
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote