Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Jknox
Doh!
Adamantium Plus Member

How do you guys learn to paint

I'm beginning to learn this awesome art of painting figures. I was wondering how you guys learned...was it on your own or did you have lessons?

I'd love to find a place that offered lessons on this type of thing but I can't seem to find anything online about it.

I suppose I could just learn on my own if I had to Or one of you guys could offer online lessons...hmm did I just spark a lucrative idea in one of your heads?

Anyhoo...can you share your experiences with getting to the point you're at now?
Jknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Spazzy
Hercules

Trial and error for me

There are more stuff out there now then there used to be even a few years ago.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Jknox
Doh!
Adamantium Plus Member

If you (or someone else) wouldn't mind...could you give me a list of all that I'd need? If I had a complete list of the equipment I'd need I'm pretty sure I could do this. I just don't know what to get.

Also, is the paint really strong? I won't have alot of space to do painting since I room with 2 other people and they wouldn't want the apartment stinking...but I'm sure I can make it work...I'm determined. I just want to know if the smell is really strong.
Jknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

3 years of art school majoring in traditional illustration. then took what i learned from that and started to work on statues.

you can check out my you tube channel got a lot of videos on there about tips and tricks, supplies, paints, airbrushes, compresor etc.

enamels are strong, but tough,

acrylics are better but not as tough, i only use acrylics, enamels are just to strong for me.

check into shows like jersyefest and wonderfest next year. they offer classes, seminars all weekend and lots of supplies and such for the hobbiest.

good paints from garagekits

http://www.garagekitsuscolors.com

this link will give you a idea on what they offer and more or less what you will need to get started

http://www.garagekitsuscolors.com/paintfest-classes/
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

I am like Spazzy and VV. Pretty much trial and error and growing with education. I've been painting since I was little. Always huge into art. I am a graphic/web designer that used to dabble in oil painting, but now I want to start doing some 3-D pieces. Most of what I have learned was from the net, lots of surfing.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

me? couldn't draw a decent stick figure on paper. tried my luck painting models then customizing them like resculpting parts, adding, deleting, etc. learned the hard way. very little online info useful for me. i preferred to feel my way through things instead of reading a 1 hour thesis on color theory. also what made my learning process more difficult was i started out with knockoff cheap painting equipment. for instance my first compressor was a cheap chinese generic that put out inconsistent pressure. my airbrush was also a cheap generic with a needle made of soft metal. i didn't realize that then and it was making my airbrush learning curve higher. i didnt know jack about iwatas and such. paints was another story. started out using those cheap createx crap diluted in tap water. basically a lot of time and frustration was invested in my hobby. still have lots to learn. i learn on my own as i go.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Honestly, a lot of it is "practice makes perfect".

I have been and suggest for you, buy cheaper kits for practicing on.

Just like practicing with painting, I practiced with repairing.
I also keep an eye out for damaged/cheaper statues that I can fix up for practice also.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote