Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

What four movies did you purchase and what are the specs of your TV and audio setup?

There are some poor BD releases due to bad transfers and poor condition of film print but most BDs are substantial upgrades over the DVD.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

It's a Sony Bravia 46 " 1080. Installed by Best Buy Geeks so I'm pretty sure the cables are right. It has surround sound. I have watched the new Star Trek, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Watchmen in Blu Ray. There is a slight detail difference but overall I don't think there is a significant difference.
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

As the others have stated. There is a huge difference, but you need the proper setup and good eyes.

I'm running my BluRay in the living room on a 52" Samsung 1080p 120 Hz LCD connected with HDMI and hooked into a Bose surround. The sound and visual quality are night and day compared to DVD.

In my family room I have a 46" Toshiba Regza Cinema Series 1080p 120Hz set hooked to DVD with Component connections and their is no comparison.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Almart

I watch my movies on a 8 foot screen with my HD projector. The difference is night and day really.
Blu ray is sooo much cleaner !!!
Almart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

When you say that you don't see a significant difference, what are you comparing the Blu-Ray movies to?
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gto View Post
It's a Sony Bravia 46 " 1080. Installed by Best Buy Geeks so I'm pretty sure the cables are right. It has surround sound. I have watched the new Star Trek, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Watchmen in Blu Ray. There is a slight detail difference but overall I don't think there is a significant difference.
That should blow you away..... try specsavers Die hard 4 is another good one to test for quality.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
Natrix
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

How do you have it hooked up? It should be through HDMI for best quality and I would check the output settings of the player to make sure it is outputting 1080P. Some players automatically output lower resolutions as a default.

As others have stated, you should be able to tell the difference on most movies. The colors will be much more vibrant in addition to the added resolution and greater audio fidelity.

I can't sit though a regular DVD anymore.
Natrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gto View Post
Don't always trust the Geeks, the guys that BB sent over from Magnolia when Eric and I bought our set, didn't hook up our set and surround sound properly. I had to read the manuals and figure out the proper connections myself.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Natrix
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You also would want to make sure the settings on the TV aren't maxed out on the contrast, brightness and sharpness. They might have hooked it up but not adjusted the settings for the input.
Natrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
06gto

Maybe it's because my other TV was also a Sony HD Vega ?
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote