Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

View Poll Results: Should Superman Be Allowed To Kill?
Yup he's got the power 10 27.03%
Nope he stands for something more 22 59.46%
I personally don't care 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Should Superman Be Allowed To Kill?

Read that current Superman/Batman co-writer Goyer says that he believes Superman should be able to kill. His thoughts are that many writers hinder the character but putting such a limitation on him. I personally disagree because there's powerful symbolism in finding another way, especially for a character with his power set. Now I'm not saying he should never kill but the story would have to be exceptional to justify it imo. What say you?
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
built2shred
Phoenix

I think Superman should have a moral code but when it comes down to Galaxy Mass Murders then sure why not let him kill them....

One of the turn offs IMO to Superman is his extreme self-righteousness, like he's perfect... If I want that I'll go read the Bible about Jesus.... I like how Superman was portrayed in MOS, someone who tries to do good but is also flawed... As we all know Kryptonians were not Angels...

Nothing more boring then one dimensional superhero.... gotta add layers to them...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Supermans morality is a strength but also something that makes him vulnerable to his enemies and can lead to interesting and compelling story telling. Writers already gripe anout Supes being too powerful; why take away another writing tool? I am typically a Goyer fan but if this is where his head is at I will gladly see him replaced.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

batman should be the one going around killing folks what with being an insane delusional man who's entire life was spawned out of violence, Clark is better then that with killing being so easy for somebody like him it would cheapen him if he just went around snapping the neck of everybody that pissed him off
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
batman should be the one going around killing folks what with being an insane delusional man who's entire life was spawned out of violence, Clark is better then that with killing being so easy for somebody like him it would cheapen him if he just went around snapping the neck of everybody that pissed him off
I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about making Superman a homicidal maniac
Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Supermans morality is a strength but also something that makes him vulnerable to his enemies and can lead to interesting and compelling story telling. Writers already gripe anout Supes being too powerful; why take away another writing tool? I am typically a Goyer fan but if this is where his head is at I will gladly see him replaced.
I never really understood this, Kryptonians are not perfect, his human family the Kents were not perfect, I believe Jonathan Kent even had a temper... So how come Clark is this perfect savior IE: Comic book version of Jesus?

What they need to do is tone his powers down a bit... The way he is now a small planet can fall on him and it wouldn't kill him... Make it so it would kill him... make it so he's not so indestructible, that he can be hurt if the person he's going up against is strong enough...

They kind of showed this in MOS where after getting pounded on by fellow kryptonians he was spitting up blood..

This is the same issue they have with Wonder Woman also, they have made her pretty much immortal also... Seems comic book writers from the 1980's - 1990's got carried away with these two and made them way to invincible...

I think some of you guys have put Superman way to high up on a pedestal
Old 09-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I never really understood this, Kryptonians are not perfect, his human family the Kents were not perfect, I believe Jonathan Kent even had a temper... So how come Clark is this perfect savior IE: Comic book version of Jesus?

What they need to do is tone his powers down a bit... The way he is now a small planet can fall on him and it wouldn't kill him... Make it so it would kill him... make it so he's not so indestructible, that he can be hurt if the person he's going up against is strong enough...

They kind of showed this in MOS where after getting pounded on by fellow kryptonians he was spitting up blood..

This is the same issue they have with Wonder Woman also, they have made her pretty much immortal also... Seems comic book writers from the 1980's - 1990's got carried away with these two and made them way to invincible...

Ditto on the Hulk.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post

This is the big division between Marvel & DC. Marvel's characters were almost always potrayed as flawed individuals that happen to have extraordinary powers. Aside from Batman, DC characters were always too "God-like" hence the countless revamps to their characters and universe. With that said, yes Superman has always been modeled after a boy scout but I think that's one of the things that's endearing about his character.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Supermans morality is a strength but also something that makes him vulnerable to his enemies and can lead to interesting and compelling story telling. Writers already gripe anout Supes being too powerful; why take away another writing tool?
This. This, this, this.

Superman's power is immense, and he can't always be threatened by physical means. The way that a lot of his nemeses--I'd argue his best and most frightening nemeses--got to Supes was not by threatening him, but by threatening his moral code, which extends out to his family and friends.

Make Superman a godlike Wolverine, and you dilute the power of both Superman and Wolverine. It's bad storytelling, and that's not what Superman is about (or has become about, anyhow).
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
MrYac
Hercules

isn't wolverine already a godlike wolverine?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote