Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #271
MrYac
Hercules

there was nearly 300 moments after he sold out from matty, and since he wasn't a subscription figure that means every one listed was purchased with the intent to sell, annoys the hell out of me when theres so many people who can't buy them and actually want them
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #272
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
which is sad since as much as my childhood loved it that show was crap, the newer version of He-Man was superior to it in every possible way and it's a damn shame this line relies more on the outdatted nostalgia driven mentality then on the amazing updatted looks
They hate the 2002 relaunch and accompanying MYP cartoon, too. To them, it's an insult to Filmation because it (a) "strayed from the original designs" and (b) "disregarded Filmation continuity." If you liked anything from the 2002 relaunch or liked the newer cartoon...well, be prepared to take brickbats for it. The 2002 fans have taken it in the teeth for trying to support the revamp. And the recent He-Man screenplay Grayskull (since discarded due to Sony buying the film rights off WB) was greeted with hatred over a Latino Review plot summary because it wasn't a slavish copy of Filmation. As far as they're concerned, they still haven't gotten "the official He-Man action figure"...the Filmation character model. They're always complaining about how they're getting shafted because the characters in the toy line aren't Filmation-only characters, the toys themselves aren't exact copies of the Filmation model sheets, and that the bios on the cardbacks "disrespect" Filmation by using every incarnation as source material instead of being 100% Filmation. Some of them have never even seen the 2002 cartoon or any other incarnation of He-Man because they "want to stay loyal to Filmation." It's gone well beyond being a fan of that show and become an obsession for the He-Man.org crowd.

Personally, I thought 90% of the 2002 updates were drastic improvements on the originals. The only thing I really didn't care for was the computerized sword they gave He-Man. I think the Classic Colors staction figure from SDCC got it bang-on right: classic sword, 2002 costume and hairdo revamp. For me, that's the definitive He-Man, and the version I request when I get artwork done of him. And I've noticed that outside of He-Man.org, the 2002 revamp is very well-regarded by fans and comic book pros alike. I've lost count of how many times people have said they're glad He-Man ditched the pageboy hairdo and got a proper barbarian shag.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #273
MrYac
Hercules

the old cartoon was poorly written, poorly animated and it literally had a rule that you couldn't have an over laying story because it would mean they would have to play the series in order for re-run purposes, so yeah, the new series took everything that was good about He-Man and made it better, especilly the toys.

i hate how they use as much of the old figure designs as they do, the fact that they always package them with the lame old heads instead of the vastly improved new heads will always annoy me, the god awful Prince Adam repaint bugs me to no end, sure He-Man with a goofy grin and a painted pink sure was ok 20 years ago when i was a kid, but in 2010 it aint gonna cut it.
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #274
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

It was always intended by Mattel and Filmation that Adam would be younger and slighter of build as himself than when he was He-Man, but when it proved cheaper for Adam and He-Man to look the same, that was just the way it went. Interestingly, the minicomics and DC miniseries of the time dressed Adam in a blue and gold vest, red fur-shorts, and red boots. He never wore pink and lavender spandex until Filmation, and some people think that was a mistake. Alas, the hardcore Filmation fans will hear none of it if you even suggest Adam could have used a different color scheme.

What you saw in the 2002 cartoon is what Adam/He-Man was always intended to be: younger, shorter, and slimmer as himself, tall, broad, muscular, and facially about 10 years older as He-Man. It was simply the very first time anyone had actually depicted it as such. The Filmation crowd hated that, too, sneering that Adam was made "scrawny" even though Filmation would have done the same thing had their budgets allowed for it. It's led to a real double standard a lot of people are calling out: it's only OK when Filmation does it, but anyone else doing it is a heresy.

There is, however, a reason why Filmation isn't anywhere near a huge a presence in the MOTUC line as the 2002 version: the rights to Filmation's entire library are owned by Classic Media, and Mattel can't buy back He-Man and She-Ra without having to buy everything else Filmation did. So that show's more or less off-limits. And as whiny as the Filmation-only crowd has been, I think they're getting just what they deserve.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #275
stoneindian
Sculptor
Sculptor

Man I'm Pissed! I was at Toys R us and found a Lex Skeletor 2 pack. Got home ripped open the pack and noticed that Skeletor has two Right legs. He can't be posed because his foot will not set flat.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #276
AnnnaMot
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneindian View Post
Man I'm Pissed! I was at Toys R us and found a Lex Skeletor 2 pack. Got home ripped open the pack and noticed that Skeletor has two Right legs. He can't be posed because his foot will not set flat.
I had a he-man like that I sold it on eBay got $80 for it
AnnnaMot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #277
Crossbonez74
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans1978 View Post
It was always intended by Mattel and Filmation that Adam would be younger and slighter of build as himself than when he was He-Man, but when it proved cheaper for Adam and He-Man to look the same, that was just the way it went. Interestingly, the minicomics and DC miniseries of the time dressed Adam in a blue and gold vest, red fur-shorts, and red boots. He never wore pink and lavender spandex until Filmation, and some people think that was a mistake. Alas, the hardcore Filmation fans will hear none of it if you even suggest Adam could have used a different color scheme.

What you saw in the 2002 cartoon is what Adam/He-Man was always intended to be: younger, shorter, and slimmer as himself, tall, broad, muscular, and facially about 10 years older as He-Man. It was simply the very first time anyone had actually depicted it as such. The Filmation crowd hated that, too, sneering that Adam was made "scrawny" even though Filmation would have done the same thing had their budgets allowed for it. It's led to a real double standard a lot of people are calling out: it's only OK when Filmation does it, but anyone else doing it is a heresy.

There is, however, a reason why Filmation isn't anywhere near a huge a presence in the MOTUC line as the 2002 version: the rights to Filmation's entire library are owned by Classic Media, and Mattel can't buy back He-Man and She-Ra without having to buy everything else Filmation did. So that show's more or less off-limits. And as whiny as the Filmation-only crowd has been, I think they're getting just what they deserve.
I dont think that the "filmation" crowd is being whiny. I mean every other 80's toy line that is being re-released such as GiJoe or Transformers is following the 80's prototypes. He-man fans just want toys reminiscent of what they remember from the 80's.
Crossbonez74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #278
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
I dont think that the "filmation" crowd is being whiny. I mean every other 80's toy line that is being re-released such as GiJoe or Transformers is following the 80's prototypes. He-man fans just want toys reminiscent of what they remember from the 80's.
Yes, they are being whiny. When you complain about not getting the "official" versions of the characters because they're the vintage figure designs and not carbon copies of the Filmation character models, when you scream bloody murder over translations from drawings to three dimensions because it's impossible to duplicate them exactly, when you decry fleshing out concepts from the vintage toy line on the basis that Filmation never touched them and thus they should be cast aside, when you howl like banshees over stuff that existed in the vintage line on the grounds that it's "an insult to Filmation," and when you don't want ANY incarnation of the franchise, now or future, to be anything other than a slavish recreation of Filmation, you're being whiny.

Further, they don't "just want toys reminiscent of what they remember from the 80's." If that was the case, they wouldn't be throwing hissy fits over the vintage toy designs being revived. They want the line to be 100% Filmation, full stop. They don't even want stuff from the 2002 series reinterpreted as if it existed in the vintage line, or even unused concepts from the '80s finally being made part of the line. What they want are carbon copies of the Filmation character models, character bios that follow Filmation to the letter, and Filmation-only characters. And they're the ones screaming the loudest about how Mattel's shortchanging them by giving them toys based on the '80s vintage figures instead of giving them Filmation toys.

How is this not whiny, or at the very least selfish and close-minded?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #279
Crossbonez74
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans1978 View Post
Yes, they are being whiny. When you complain about not getting the "official" versions of the characters because they're the vintage figure designs and not carbon copies of the Filmation character models, when you scream bloody murder over translations from drawings to three dimensions because it's impossible to duplicate them exactly, when you decry fleshing out concepts from the vintage toy line on the basis that Filmation never touched them and thus they should be cast aside, when you howl like banshees over stuff that existed in the vintage line on the grounds that it's "an insult to Filmation," and when you don't want ANY incarnation of the franchise, now or future, to be anything other than a slavish recreation of Filmation, you're being whiny.

Further, they don't "just want toys reminiscent of what they remember from the 80's." If that was the case, they wouldn't be throwing hissy fits over the vintage toy designs being revived. They want the line to be 100% Filmation, full stop. They don't even want stuff from the 2002 series reinterpreted as if it existed in the vintage line, or even unused concepts from the '80s finally being made part of the line. What they want are carbon copies of the Filmation character models, character bios that follow Filmation to the letter, and Filmation-only characters. And they're the ones screaming the loudest about how Mattel's shortchanging them by giving them toys based on the '80s vintage figures instead of giving them Filmation toys.

How is this not whiny, or at the very least selfish and close-minded?

Nobody but the crowd that watched the cartoon back in the 80's even cares about Heman franchise nowadays. You think the kids today give two craps about Heman? Those guys are about the only thing that is keeping the Heman franchise alive so let them have their filmation based toys.
Crossbonez74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #280
AnnnaMot
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbonez74 View Post
Nobody but the crowd that watched the cartoon back in the 80's even cares about Heman franchise nowadays. You think the kids today give two craps about Heman? Those guys are about the only thing that is keeping the Heman franchise alive so let them have their filmation based toys.
i agree 90% of the he-man classics used to love the filmation cartoons . i own about 25% of the Filmation stock backgrounds and cels , half of the he-man and she-ra DVD covers and inserts are my personal cels and background
AnnnaMot is offline   Reply With Quote