Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
dtorrens
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
Why are people thinking this is a lot of money? Original Comic Book Art is incredibly booming industry. The more sought after covers will easily reach 100K within the next ten years.

As crazy as this might sound, 2006 Jim Lee covers get over 15K without even blinking. A Michael Turner pencil (not ink) FF page that only appeared in Wizard, no less, sells for 6K. Is this insane?
Funny. I was at WWLA over the weekend and was at Turner's table. I saw three guys (two are my buddies) within 10 mintues spend $4k, $4.5 k,and $10k for Michael Turner covers that were pencils only. Although I could think of a variety of other places where I would put this kind of disposable income, these guys knew what they wanted and had the means to follow through. (They also bought impressive pieces including Supergirl and Identity Crisis covers.) The sky is the limit with original art these days.
dtorrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I was looking at Turners art at WWLA and was really tempted to buy a FF piece. It was $4000. I held off because I really like inked pages and I wonder how the pencils will hold up over time.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER
I was looking at Turners art at WWLA and was really tempted to buy a FF piece. It was $4000. I held off because I really like inked pages and I wonder how the pencils will hold up over time.

If the pencil sketches I have received over the years are any indication, they do fade over time. However, more and more artists are prefering that inkers ink over stats of their pencils instead of on the original page. Wieringo is another that quickly comes to mind. I would assume though that some of these artists use a special fixative (an aerosol type) to keep the pencils on the comic book art.

As for those who think original art is too expensive... That's completely understandable too. It's just not worth it for them. It's that simple. When I tell some people what I paid for art or even what I paid for a statue, they think I am insane. I still have guests who think a BD statue costs under $20. They look at it my statues like a child's action figures.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
Why are people thinking this is a lot of money? Original Comic Book Art is incredibly booming industry. The more sought after covers will easily reach 100K within the next ten years.
Because IT IS! Just think how far that money will go to feeding people in poverty-stricken countries.

Quote:
I wish I had purchased Bolland's Killing Joke pages when I had the chance... Some of the pages were offered to me at 300$. These pages might be worth 10 times that right now.
doesn't he do all his art digitally now, making his existing work even harder to come by?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote