Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #26671
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Extraction, 3/10 at best.

I was surprised, based on its good press, by how much I disliked this film. It’s shockingly derivative, combining the depressed and self loathing character of Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon with the non-stop and overly choreographed violence of John Wick. Pretty much a waste of time unless you're looking for 2 hours of straight action and violence with very little story to support it and keep it interesting.
these movies are all about the ride like a thrill coaster. theyre enjoyable if you enjoy things like fight choreography, stunts, one shot takes, chase scenes, guns, etc. you wont be in a different place than where you were in the beginning but its a rush if you like stuff like that
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #26672
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Others - Part of me wishes I could go into this movie blind when I rewatch it, because that ending reveal and all the tense buildup was some of the craziest I've ever seen in a movie, but watching it again while knowing whats going on the whole time adds a new level to the movie. Great work by the director and Nicole Kidman was fantastic in this eerily ominous and atmospheric ghost story - 8.5/10

Death Becomes Her - I watched this movie so many times when I was younger, and finally revisited it after many years, and I still really enjoyed it. It was kind of like a long episode of tales from the crypt, very strange and filled with tons of black humor. It was interesting to see Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep in a movie like this, definitely not their usual type of film but it really worked, and Bruce Willis was great as well in a role very different than his usual macho type of rolls. The special effects were awesome as well for the time, it was clear they had a lot of fun with it, and I have a lot of fun each time I watch - 8/10

Frailty - Another one I haven't seen for a very long time, but am glad I revisited it. Although the ending was predictable, I found the story to be quite interesting and thought provoking. Also I appreciate the psychological approach to the horror instead of just hack and slash, which I felt worked well, especially considering this was Bill Paxton's first movie as a director, and he acted in it too - 8/10

1408 - This movie had some really interesting ideas, and some good visuals, but ultimately it fell flat on the execution and didnt do enough with the premise. I also felt the pacing was off, it seemed like a rush to the end, going from one thing to the next without anything having any time to breath or to let any impacts sink in, could have been fleshed out a lot more which would have made it a more effective movie - 6.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #26673
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Timecop 1994 - 7/10 Underrated action movie. One of Van Damme’s best. If you like 80’s, 90’s action movies then you’ll like this one.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #26674
ukshaun
Hercules

Bombshell (2019)

8/10

Spotted this today as a new release in a local store. It’s 2019 release passed me by.
It stars Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie.

Margot Robbie receives last billing, but she is the talent of the movie.
It is what it is, and tells the story of a certain individuals downfall at Fox T.V.
One scene in particular feat. Margot Robbie made for uncomfortable viewing, but I guess that was the whole point of the scene in question.

The main lead, Charlize Theron, I had an issue with. She is ok. Her voice felt odd, almost like she would make for an ideal She-Terminator. The last time I experienced Charlize Theron’s skills were during Atomic Blonde, in which Theron acting skills felt wooden at best.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #26675
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - Steve Rogers, a rejected military soldier, transforms into Captain America after taking a dose of a "Super-Soldier serum". But being Captain America comes at a price as he attempts to take down a war monger and a terrorist organization.

I like this movie more than when I first watched it. And that final line before the credits was perfect. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #26676
ParisDean

Ordet (1955) - Follows the lives of the Borgen family, as they deal with inner conflict, as well as religious conflict with each other, and the rest of the town.

If I had to watch a movie for church, it would be this one. 9/10
Old 05-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #26677
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Bombshell (2019)

8/10

Spotted this today as a new release in a local store. It’s 2019 release passed me by.
It stars Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie.

Margot Robbie receives last billing, but she is the talent of the movie.
It is what it is, and tells the story of a certain individuals downfall at Fox T.V.
One scene in particular feat. Margot Robbie made for uncomfortable viewing, but I guess that was the whole point of the scene in question.

The main lead, Charlize Theron, I had an issue with. She is ok. Her voice felt odd, almost like she would make for an ideal She-Terminator. The last time I experienced Charlize Theron’s skills were during Atomic Blonde, in which Theron acting skills felt wooden at best.
Charlize is a phenomenal actress. I would suggest you watch the movie "Monster." She won an Oscar for Best Actress for her portrayal in this movie.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #26678
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Charlize is a phenomenal actress. I would suggest you watch the movie "Monster." She won an Oscar for Best Actress for her portrayal in this movie.
Agreed. I'd also recommend her (and Tommy Lee Jones') performance in "In the Valley of Elah". Great showcase for both actors.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #26679
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - Steve Rogers, a rejected military soldier, transforms into Captain America after taking a dose of a "Super-Soldier serum". But being Captain America comes at a price as he attempts to take down a war monger and a terrorist organization.

I like this movie more than when I first watched it. And that final line before the credits was perfect. 8/10
Still, after all this time, my favorite Marvel movie. That "final line" stands out as my favorite. Why Marvel hasn't asked Director, Joe Johnston to direct another movie, is beyond me. He gets nostalgia, solid-sentimentality, action, heroism, etc.... amazingly well. If Marvel ever dips back into the timestream, hire Johnston again, please.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #26680
ParisDean

The Juniper Tree (1990) - Margit and her older sister, Katla, flee their homeland after their mother is killed for practicing witchcraft. Needing a place to stay, Katla casts a spell over a young farmer named Jóhann which makes him fall in love with her.

This is definitely worth seeing if you like Björk. It's based on a Grimm fairy tale so that was appropriate casting. I was not so enamored with the film overall as critics were. It wasn't bad, but I'm surprised the reviews were extremely positive. 6/10