Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

IKEA PAX shelving - display questions

Hey guys, I recently learned about these wardrobes from IKEA through a coworker getting rid of her's, but was told by a forum member that they needed work to be 'display ready', but no other info.

Do any of you happen to have experience with these? I am going to have to get new shelves soon, and would like to use the PAX since it looks like I could manage to make better combined displays and dioramas instead of the separated museum look (which is nice) of my STUVA/BESTA's that I currently have for some stuff.

For reference the one I am looking at getting is either of these with 2 shelves (in each section):
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
NullMind
Frackin!

Hi

I'm bumping this one up so not to start a new thread, I too am buying those and looking for advise on what needs reinforcing, especially what have people done to make the shelves stronger for large statue display

Null
NullMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Sadly I ended up just building my own because it looked to be easier and more stable. In the end it was more expensive :/

I have shifted back to just using STUVA's though, so don't have any advice about the PAX reinforcing, sorry.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #4
built2shred
Phoenix

Somewhere lost deep in this forum are instructions on how to customize PAX for displaying cabinets including how to put glass in the door frames. Might try using the search function above, I've tried using it before with various results.... Good Luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Sadly I ended up just building my own because it looked to be easier and more stable. In the end it was more expensive :/

I have shifted back to just using STUVA's though, so don't have any advice about the PAX reinforcing, sorry.
No kidding on the price of custom display units, I ended up spending $8000 for mine and I'm still waiting for the glass guy to show up to finish the doors. Although they do look good but man are they pricey.....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
NullMind
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Somewhere lost deep in this forum are instructions on how to customize PAX for displaying cabinets including how to put glass in the door frames. Might try using the search function above, I've tried using it before with various results.... Good Luck...
Using the search was my first port of call, I found allot of threads on customising the doors, but was not able to find examples of what was done to re-inforce it and make it viable for statue displaying. :/
Old 07-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
built2shred
Phoenix

I guess you can order the frames of the pax door, then you just have to have a place like lowes or home depot cut you a piece of temper glass or high end plexiglass to fit the door frames
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
bicoid18
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullMind View Post
Hi

I'm bumping this one up so not to start a new thread, I too am buying those and looking for advise on what needs reinforcing, especially what have people done to make the shelves stronger for large statue display

Null
This suggestion was made by Shallow:

http://www.statueforum.com/showpost....postcount=1575
bicoid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
NullMind
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoid18 View Post
This suggestion was made by Shallow:

http://www.statueforum.com/showpost....postcount=1575
Awesome, thank you
Old 08-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
IMJeffrey
Doh!

I was looking into IKEA Pax shelving too and came across this video regarding securing the Pax units. Although this thread is a couple years old, it may help others now considering the Pax units.

https://youtu.be/vzVG1MjcF3c

Cheers,
Jeffrey
IMJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote